Jeep 2.5/2.4 owners - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep 2.5/2.4 owners

Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfECGS Black Friday Sale!!Gear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 08-23-2006, 05:37 PM   #1
oddball

Jeep 2.5/2.4 owners

Now that jeep is no longer making a 4 CL Jeep anymore what do you all think will become of our type of jeeps?

oddball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2006, 05:38 PM   #2
Thug Nasty

hopefully they will all explode, and insurance will just have to give us a jeep with the 4.0 in it. damn

97' Blackie with 2.5 4 popper, 3 spd auto and 3.73's, tan top, half doors, tinted rears, 15 X 8 DC1's, 31X10.50 Baja Claws, 2" spacers with hydros, windshield lights (10$ specials), KC grilles so I can look rich, Chicago Electric REW9000 winch, Premier deck and front 5.25's- Xplod 6.5 in soundbar, cheapo discos, bored 4.0 TB and bored manifold, 4.0 intake, Fabtech steering box skidplate, aluminum radiator, 13.4 mpg
Thug Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2006, 05:44 PM   #3
beemer-biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thug Nasty
hopefully they will all explode, and insurance will just have to give us a jeep with the 4.0 in it. damn

beemer-biker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2006, 05:57 PM   #4
RKBA
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The price of used one will hopefully drop considerably. They are fine trail Jeeps and would be what I would start with for an engine swap project anyway. As long as the tire size is kept down, I don't have any problem with 4cyl Jeeps.

My TJ 4 banger reminds me a little of the 134 powered CJs my family had when I was learning to drive. Nothing fancy, it just felt like you were motoring around in a street legal tractor.
RKBA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2006, 06:24 PM   #5
SniperPilot

There's nothing a vaunted 6-cyl can do that our 4-cyls can't, when you look at it objectively...Don't quote me the "hills will slow you down" stuff...I do just fine. I didn't buy my Jeep for it's highway prowess, did you?

The 2.5 is a solid Jeep that has stood the test of time. To make it out to be some sort of "sub-Jeep" is foolish. I'll drive mine until the wheels fall off, and just for the record: I give the same Jeep wave to all those 6-cyl snobs as I do to every Jeep I see. : )

Last edited by SniperPilot; 08-23-2006 at 07:14 PM..
SniperPilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2006, 09:28 PM   #6
MoJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I just think of my 2.5 as a loaded semi. Takes for ever to get to speed, and you have to use momentum to keep speed. Just like a 400hp peterbuilt!
My Jeep
MoJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2006, 09:53 PM   #7
88wagon

why do all jeepers who have something different hate each other hahaha. we're supposed to stick together guys.
88wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2006, 01:24 PM   #8
Thug Nasty

i love all the jeepers. i just hate the 2.5.

Now if it was an aluminum block 2.5 with DOHC and could have a bolt on turbo and closer to 200 HP, it wouldnt be that bad. I just dont like pushrods, or iron blocks. they have lasted the test of time, but comeon people, get with the new technology. actually, its not even that new. DOHC engines were around in the early 50s, but america didnt catch on until the 80s if im correct- DAVE
97' Blackie with 2.5 4 popper, 3 spd auto and 3.73's, tan top, half doors, tinted rears, 15 X 8 DC1's, 31X10.50 Baja Claws, 2" spacers with hydros, windshield lights (10$ specials), KC grilles so I can look rich, Chicago Electric REW9000 winch, Premier deck and front 5.25's- Xplod 6.5 in soundbar, cheapo discos, bored 4.0 TB and bored manifold, 4.0 intake, Fabtech steering box skidplate, aluminum radiator, 13.4 mpg
Unread 08-25-2006, 12:23 AM   #9
iismet

[QUOTE= I just dont like pushrods, or iron blocks. [/QUOTE]

GM's Corvette is almost laughable isn't it?
iismet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2006, 08:17 AM   #10
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, and it gets nearly 30 mpg on the highway too.
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2006, 08:44 AM   #11
Pottymouth
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Location: 30 minutes south of Baghdad....oops....I mean Detroit.
I don't see why everyone hates the 4 banger. Would I like to have the 6cyl? Of course! Would I like to have a 5.7 Hemi? Of course! The fact of the matter is that I bought a Jeep knowing it's going to suck on the highway no matter what. On the trail, the advantages of the 6cyl is minimal.

For how the vast majority of people drive around here, the 4cyl is plenty of engine. I have no problems keeping up with people or even passing them if need be.

As for the guy saying to "keep up with the times and use new technology", I don't think that's a good idea at all.......and i'm very technologically inclined! The old cliche "they sure don't make em like they used to" seems a perfect fit here. If you take care of those inline engines, they will take care of you. It is common, if not expected, for them to run 200,000k miles. Would I expect that out of today's cheap, craptastic engines? Hell no. Automakers (including Jeep) manufacture cars in the cheapest possible way. Cheap engine parts, cheap plastic bumpers, and even cheap brake pads! I'll gladly take a sluggish, but capable, 4cyl over an aluminum block, cheaper made 4cyl anyday of the week.
10" Kicker Compvx Subwoofer
350W Kicker Amp
A big back seat for some fun with the lady friends
Pottymouth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2006, 10:43 AM   #12
newcaddy4j

I don't understand how people can complain so much about how slow the 4cyl'ds are. Its a f'n Jeep... not a porsche. My 5 spd does just fine. With the exception of hills, I can't say I've ever had a problem with the response.

Besides, what 4 cyl car/truck do you know that can go up a hill in 5th gear or OD?

btw, I owed a 6 cyl XJ and to be honest it wasn't that much faster than my TJ.

Keep it Real Ol' XJ and TJ

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
newcaddy4j is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2006, 12:25 PM   #13
Thug Nasty

whoa guys. chill out. i was just saying that the pushrod style engines is an OLD design. yeah, alot of the big V8's use it, just because its cheap to manufacture.

the OHC engines are really nice though. they have less moving parts than a regular engine, and they run a bit quieter since no valve tap. ive built a few engines, and me and my pop rebuilt a 1970 MGB. it had a 1800 (1798) CC engine, and that thing pushed MAYBE 90 HP from factory. its just frustrating trying to make power on a 4 cylinder. we spent close to 1000 dollars and bumped it MAYBE to 115-120 HP.

i guess im just not a four cylinder guy in general, even after the older style engine. i like the V8's because once you do a mod, you generally get more of an increase compared to an engine half its size.

who knows, i guess its a generation gap. i argue with kids that drifting isnt racing, and that real cars have carbuerators. even though, technology has helped the automotive field come a LONG way since the fifties- look at what we have now that they didnt have back then

RELIABLE FUEL INJECTION
Automatic transmissions
Limited Slip Differentials
Radial Tires
Disc brakes
Overhead Cams
Electronic Ignition
Catalytic Converters
Synthetic Fluids

Now- we dont NEED all of that stuff, its just nice to have them, and society as a whole operates better because of them, and because the world would be dirty as hell too without them. Its not always wrong to go with up and coming technology, its what everyone is doing nowadays - DAVE
Unread 08-25-2006, 12:28 PM   #14
14psisupra

in my 4cyl YJ i had a few years ago, before i got it the odometer had stopped at 222,xxx origional motor and ran good, now i have a 4cyl TJ on 33s
14psisupra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2006, 01:18 PM   #15
terrible

I like my 2.4, it keeps me out of trouble

If I wanted to go fast or be able to tow things I would have bought a truck. With that in mind I knew going in I wasn't buying a burnout machine or something that could pull a 30 foot camper through the hills of West Virginia. I bought it because, #1 it was cheap as hell, #2 it gets great milage if driven right (yes even on 33" tires) #3 when the engine does get a bit tired or something breaks I know I will be putting in a v6 or small v8 to replace it and still be paying 4 cyl insurance

Now if I had a small car or even truck that had as little power or got the same milage my jeep does I wouldn't own it or I would have never bought it. It's a miata with 4 wheel drive!
terrible is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.