Jeep 1998 TJ oil leak / fan belt noise.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep 1998 TJ oil leak / fan belt noise..

Introducing the CUPHOLSTER @ OCONEE OFF ROAD 706 534 9955Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comBlack Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHut

Unread 09-04-2009, 01:08 AM   #1
ReD-RuM
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep 1998 TJ oil leak / fan belt noise..

I know this question has probably been asked a thousand times from what i have read but my jeep 1998 which i purchased last week has a oil leak , needless to say the oil seems to be leaking very lightly only when turned off into the pan protector underneath the jeep than from there it leaks onto the ground.. * a few spots - however when u flash a light into the pan it seems that there has been a fair share of oil that has leaked into it over the years*

Anyways the reason for this question is.. should i bother to fix this at all.. since i have been checking my oil daily.. and im not loosing all that much and if i should fix it should i go with a local mechanique near my house to repair this if it does happen to be the dreaded rear oil seal leak or should i have someone at a proper jeep shop fix it.. also if anyone has had this repaired at a jeep dealership what was the cost i heard it very time consuming??

also while im on the topic when i switch gears from 1-2 there is a belt noise.. kinda sounds like.. when you wind up a toy car , i could only imagine this is my serpentine belt going.. also how much would this be to fix. please no negative responses you have to understand this is my first jeep ..

ReD-RuM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2009, 01:35 AM   #2
ZIMM18
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i suggest you get one of these

then get one these, sorry not being negative, just helping a fellow jeeper out, cause your going to need them

Unread 09-04-2009, 01:39 AM   #3
ReD-RuM
1998 TJ Wrangler 

heh , i actually just orderd a book similar to that one , the tools.. lol.. thats gonna come with age i suppose... however on this topic im really just wondering if anyone can give me some advice for dealerships or local repair shops.. i dont want to have to get this repaired over and over.. if you know what i mean... rather get it done right the first time.. on that note ( i dont think this type of problem would or should be the first thing i tackle as a new jeep owner )
Unread 09-04-2009, 01:52 AM   #4
ZIMM18
1999 XJ Cherokee 

can you see where the oil is leaking from? simple valve cover gasket running down the block? or could it be from a front or rear main seal which is low and centered either front or back of the motor.......dealer will charge arm and a leg, i know i work at one. sometimes it feels wrong, but hey its not MY dealership, i just work for them and they give me a check. can be a simple fix or can be a big deal, just have to know what your looking at and not get the run-a-round by someone blowing smoke up your *** just so they get paid. have a nice small local shop look at, usually they dont charge a "diagnostic fee, or check out fee" good luck and let us know what you find out
Unread 09-04-2009, 05:30 AM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It sounds like it might be a rear main seal leak.Tighten the oil pan bolts and clean everything off with brake or parts cleaner so you can see where it's coming from.Serpentine belt costs around $25 and you can do it yourself in 15 minutes.The rear main seal cost a couple bucks,but takes a couple hours to fix it.A shop would probably charge you 4+ hours labor.
Rear main seal leak

Here's how to fix it.

[Repair] Rear Main Seal Replacement
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive/31" MT's/3" lift
TheBoogieman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
ReD-RuM
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i took a look at the picture you posted and checked under my jeep , it seems to be leaking from that area behind the engine near the back/middle of jeep into the protector skid plate..but its soo hard to tell becuase.. whoever owned this jeep really has not fixed this problem in along time becuase where the rear seal leak in your picture above is.. all you see is oil that has now become sluggy and its very hard to even tell what is even up there.. so.. my only guess is this is the main area for the leak.
Unread 09-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #7
gcfishguy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by red56 View Post
.. my only guess is this is the main area for the leak.
Don't guess....that gets expensive

Take the time to get in there with some degreaser/brakecleaner and clean the old oil off. Then take it for a drive and check it again.

For a small fee a shop can put a little vial of fluorescent dye in the oil. You drive it and they hit it with a black light. The path the oil's coming from will leave a bright line, visible with the black light. Oil doesn't run uphill, so if the oil above the rear main glows, it's coming from higher up.

It could be something as easy and cheap as a leak at the back of the valve cover. That will usually run down the back and can look like a rear main leaking.

Could very well be the rear main but it would suck to shell out to have it replaced and still have a leak that's coming from higher up.
gcfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2009, 12:22 PM   #8
ReD-RuM
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i called a local shop they said it would cost 400$ for the labour and 25$ for the part to fixthe problem if infact it was a rear seal oil leak.. is this a fair price ? i asked about the dye idea he said they would do this check before doing anything to make sure it was infact the rear seal which was causing the problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.