Jacking up front end - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jacking up front end

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-16-2007, 11:59 AM   #1
NMwrangler

Jacking up front end

I'm in the process of installing Rubicon front coil springs on my '02 Sport using the write-up from 4x4xplor.com. This is a ridiculously simple question for folks on this forum, but...how do I go about jacking up the front end of my Jeep? Should the jack lift the axle from the differential (which is off-centered), or should I jack the up in the center of the axle shaft? I need to put the Jeep up on Jack stands.

I'm breaking for lunch now, so I'll say my "Thanks!" to all of your replies right now.

31x10.5 BFG AT, Rancho RSX shocks, B&M
Trans Cooler, Remote Trans Filter[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][I][SIZE="1"]Previous Jeeps: 1988 YJ Laredo, 1994 YJ [/SIZE][/I][/SIZE]
NMwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 12:14 PM   #2
crgrissom
Master of Reality

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I usually do it by lifting the pumpkin, even though it is off center. Some people have lifted in the center by jacking up the tube, but I never liked that idea. Others jack up one wheel at a time (by the axle) to put jackstands under the frame one side at a time.

Chuck

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
- Thomas A. Edison
crgrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
Crashnburn80
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I use the diff as well. I'm sure you know but since your replacing the springs, which is obviously part of the suspension, your not going to want to place the jack stands under the axle, since you will need it to drop in order to get the springs in and out.
Crashnburn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 12:28 PM   #4
[ITA]Tsunami
Italian Wheeler in Mexico

2006 TJ Wrangler 

you have to put the jacks under the frame to let the front suspension to fully drop down. If you jack up the axle the result is the same as your tires where still on the ground.
[ITA]Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 12:37 PM   #5
ptowntj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I just put it up in the center, right on the axle tube...I think a simple easy lift on it is a lot less abuse than wheeling the rocks. after I get it high enough, I use jackstands on the frame.
Unread 02-16-2007, 12:50 PM   #6
blueknight44

I use the frame to locate 6 ton jack stands, the high clearance of a Jeep permits the use of these tall 6 ton jack stands.

With the Jacks under the frame, one can inspect, work, and service suspended required lube parts

Safety first !!
blueknight44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.