It's Official: I have a "one of a kind" Rubi! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > It's Official: I have a "one of a kind" Rubi!

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 08-31-2005, 04:46 PM   #16
habers

did you get new rims when it started?, I went today to get my MT Classic II's re-balanced and they noticed that when the wheels were on the rear axle and they spun them they were wobbling. Turns out that it was the center cap causing it (The wheels wouldnt seat flush) so they had to grind down the centercap a bit to make them flush

habers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2005, 05:39 PM   #17
2k3r1

I would find out if the vibes are speed related or RPM related.

Then take it to the speed/rpm that causes it and see if you can shift to neutral and have the vibe go away. or speed up passed the vibration and shift to nuetral and coast back down and see if the vibe is present. Esientially you are trying to determine if its vehicle speed related of engine speed related.

ANOTHER THING: just becuase a tire balances out doesnt mean it doesnt have excessive ROAD FORCE VARIATION. I replace a lot of tires on cars for vibrations and they are perfectly balanced! http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/features/how-3.cfm
2000 TJ Sport, 4.0L, 5-spd, RE 3.5" with all 8 adj arms and adj trackbars with 35"s, D30 w/ Lockright, 8.8 rear axle, sye and CV driveshaft, M.O.R.E. 1" BL and MML, IPF headlights w/ H4 FATBOY bulbs, PSC power steering skid, rock-it man rockers, uniden pro 520xl WITH PA :)
Future mods: 4.88s and ARBs?, belly up, dif guards, Gastank Skid.
2k3r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2005, 06:17 PM   #18
Muddeprived

my vibes occur between 50 and 60....loudest at 55. It's a constant whirr. Happens with both set of tires.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2005, 06:59 PM   #19
RedRubiconLJ
Web Wheeler

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconSS
Toe-in (allignment) was one of my diagnosis steps, sorry forgot that one on my list.
ALL control arms are stock right now.
The vibes are in the floor mostly at speeds (52-54) 65 under load, going up a long hill.
And right before coming to a stop. Wierd, i know.
I am far from giving up. I will get it solved OR expose an undisclosed problem before I'm done.
OK my turn.....Even tho you only have 2.5" of lift you have all stock control arms. Im guessing that even with the tc drop your ds angle is what the problem is. I would buy some adj uppers for the rear and set your pinion angle to the tc. If that gets rid of your vibes than pull the tc drop and reset your pinion angle unless you want to do it all at once.
Without a cv shaft you would have to make them parallel to each other (pinion and TC). Im sure someone will correct me if Im wrong but Im sure this is the culprit. Maybe even an easier fix with a MML?
I dont know what the rest of your mods are.

With my 3.5 I had to get the sye but others with the same kit didnt need one??? I also had vibes between 55-65 nothing before or after. Oh well....thats the way it goes sometime I guess....

Even a 2.5" can cause vibes as you know and sometimes the TC drop is not enough...you have to get the adj rear uppers. Not plugging the guy but there is a set for sale in this forum, NIB, for way cheap.

I would also get on your back and look up at your ds and rear pinion to see if they are 90* or off a little. The final little vibe I had was the ds was not 90* to the pinion, fixed that with my adj track bar and I was vibe free.

Another issue could be the front DS. Some reported putting in a BB or bigger and it bent the DS when they let the front axle sag to get the springs in causing it to hang on the skid plate. As mentioned pull each DS individually and see what happens.

Also maybe the TC drop is too much? Sometimes 1" is too much. Cut it back in drop using washers to determine the drop height. start at a 1/4" then work your way up 1/4" at a time.
34" Toyo AT2's

Sold 2005 Red Rubi Unlimited
Jeep Pics

2004 TJ sold
1993 YJ sold

Last edited by RedRubiconLJ; 08-31-2005 at 07:10 PM..
RedRubiconLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2005, 07:27 PM   #20
RubiconSS

Your post was very informative and well thought out. Thank you.
I had just gotten back from an experiment.

I noted the location of my four center TC bolts. I then loosened the 4 TC bolts and all 6 skid plate bolts.
I drove up the road and came back just to let things "adjust"
When I got back all 4 TC bolts were all the way forward in the slots.
Tightened everything back up and went back out. Short ride (I'll know better in the morning) but it felt as though the vibes had diminished.
I now wonder if I am on to something and possibly lengthening those 4 slots would allow the Drive train to situate itself completely.

Thoughts?
Unread 08-31-2005, 07:38 PM   #21
habers

Quote:
Your post was very informative and well thought out. Thank you.
I had just gotten back from an experiment.

I noted the location of my four center TC bolts. I then loosened the 4 TC bolts and all 6 skid plate bolts.
I drove up the road and came back just to let things "adjust"
When I got back all 4 TC bolts were all the way forward in the slots.
Tightened everything back up and went back out. Short ride (I'll know better in the morning) but it felt as though the vibes had diminished.
I now wonder if I am on to something and possibly lengthening those 4 slots would allow the Drive train to situate itself completely.

Thoughts?
I'm wondering if it still needs to go forward more, maybe taking the TCase drop out will allow it to travel more. Cause if I am thinking correctly rasing the TCase would also push it towards the rear allowing more travel forward (hmm)
habers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2005, 09:06 PM   #22
gtex

SS, do you have a MML? maybe I missed that somehwere.

I know it's not quite the same. but I just put a RE 2" BB on my 05 Rubi Unlimited, running a JKS BMML. I have no noticeable vibes 0-80mph.
285-75r16 Nitto Terra-Grapplers
Gibson Stainless Cat-Back Exhaust
JeepMedic high clearance skid
[URL=http://www.thedreyerfamily.com/2005jeep.htm]Ted's Page[/URL]
gtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2005, 01:33 AM   #23
Muddeprived

Did anyone remove the front DS and drive in 4hi at 55 to 65 mph? That's the only way to test for my vibes if i remove the rear driveshaft but i'm not so confident in driving that fast with only the front DS on. Do-able?
Unread 09-01-2005, 07:11 AM   #24
RubiconSS

Gtex. No, I didn't do a MML. I am willing to try anything at this point. This lift is on shakey ground.
Unread 09-01-2005, 08:39 AM   #25
gtex

Quote:
Gtex. No, I didn't do a MML. I am willing to try anything at this point. This lift is on shakey ground.
Well a MML lift is pretty cheap and a little work. Do you have a Body Lift? I'm not sure how a MML lift installs without a Body Lift.

If you're like me, and know that eventually you will get a high clearance skid, then it's goot to have BL and MML anyway.

if the vibes are driveline angle related, them the MML should help.

I got the JKS 1.25" BL and JKS BMML for about $170 shipped.
285-75r16 Nitto Terra-Grapplers
Gibson Stainless Cat-Back Exhaust
JeepMedic high clearance skid
[URL=http://www.thedreyerfamily.com/2005jeep.htm]Ted's Page[/URL]
gtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2005, 09:05 AM   #26
RubiconSS

The problem I'm having is, One person will say get a drive shaft or a MML, or Adj upper CA's, TC drop, etc

It's frustrating that there isn't a clear step1 - step 4 process to follow with this dilema.
Unread 09-01-2005, 09:20 AM   #27
Ol'Blue Jeep

i say get some adustible control arms, also i thought that rubicons come with SYE and that if you lifet it you can just get a longer driveshaft instead of getting both the longer driveshaft and an SYE.
MT Baja Claw Radials 33x12.50
Bestop Sailcloth Replace-a-top
Rhinolined
Cobra CB Radio W/ 100 Watt PA System
Alpine CD Player
Tuffy Dual Compartment Overhead Console[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][COLOR=Orange]STUDENT JEEP CLUB MEMBER #11[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue]BLUE JEEP CLUB MEMBER #127[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Confucius say:
If you want to be happy for a day, get drunk.
If you want to be happy for a month, get married.
If you want to be happy for life, get a Jeep.[/SIZE]
Ol'Blue Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2005, 09:21 AM   #28
Muddeprived

That's exactly why I still have the same vibe 8 months later. Too many possible solutions to even start. I'm just waiting for whatever it is to blow up and then I'll know
Unread 09-01-2005, 09:24 AM   #29
55willystruck

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but did you say what your angles were at? Might check that before spending money hoping to fix a problem and end up with no change at all, and more money for something else that still doesn't fix it. I think I noticed in another post that you mentioned driving "through the forest"??? Have you checked for the weights on the DS-are they still there? Any excessive dried mud buildup to throw the weights off? Vibes can be a result of many different things. I got them once on my old Chev truck, ended up replacing all the joints and a few other things, then found that one of the driveshaft weights had been knocked off by a log or tree branch/downed timber somewhere-still had the pitch mark over where it used to be. Once that was fixed, problem solved. Anyway, sorry if I missed it, but I'd still check your angles, and DS condition and go from there. Why spend $100 for an MML if you really don't NEED too? Just a thought.

Best of Luck in this, interested to hear the results,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2005, 09:28 AM   #30
RubiconSS

Well. I just got off the phone with ARB (again) very nice people, very willing to try and help.

They want me to contact Quadratec and get them to replace some of the parts because the order that came wasn't what ARB and I discussed.
ALL 4 Springs were HD
ALL 4 Shocks were HD
ARB wants me to put a softer rate spring in the back and a more progressive shock up front.

Not sure how this will help the Vibration issue BUT ...........

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.