It's Official: I have a "one of a kind" Rubi! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > It's Official: I have a "one of a kind" Rubi!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-30-2005, 04:20 PM   #1
RubiconSS

It's Official: I have a "one of a kind" Rubi!

Couldn't find the old thread.

Put on the 2.5" lift - Got vibes.
Tightened everything - vibes.
Put on the rear track bar relo bracket - vibes.
Put on the TC lowering kit - vibes.
Just got all Four (4) tires perfectly balanced - vibes.

Not really sure where to go from here. Will re-check the pinion angle tonite after everybody goes to bed - wife and kids won't speak to me anymore (too much time in the garage).

Nothing has been changed and the rig hasn't seen the woods since the lift.

It's the lift - and it's mocking me.

Sad thing is, I KNEW this was going to happen.

Unread 08-30-2005, 04:23 PM   #2
U.S.MarineLJ

That sucks! Sorry to hear that. Perhaps it is time to try a new driveshaft? Wouldn't that help? Hope you get your problem resolved soon at a reasonable cost.

[URL=http://www.jeepreviews.com]JeepReviews.com[/URL]

Awesome site with writeups. [url]http://www.4x4xplor.com/tj.html[/url]

Another awesome site for writeups.

[url]www.stu-offroad.com[/url]
U.S.MarineLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2005, 04:33 PM   #3
RubiconSS

Thanks man. I'm sure it is something "special" about my rig (probably have an unusually heavy glove compartment or something).

What really sucks is: All the experts are telling me it can't be happening, "2.5" lifts (especially w/TC kits) don't vibrate. OK - I'm a retard and the vibes are my "secret friend".
They caught me - imaginary vibes just to get attention.

That calls for MR.
Unread 08-30-2005, 04:36 PM   #4
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

axle good and square?? try goin back to stock sounds like theyd get worst

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2005, 04:40 PM   #5
RubiconSS

Not sure if I understood??
Unread 08-30-2005, 04:43 PM   #6
Jim Shanks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Have some extra wheels/tires you could try, maybe from a buddy's rig? Just thinking out loud. Hope you figure it out. Are they bad vibes?, you're not having death wobble are you? If so, you'd know. That's what's leading me to tires, maybe a separated belt, or bent wheel?

Jim
Jim Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2005, 04:46 PM   #7
RockRunner85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Pull the rear driveshaft, throw it in 4hi and see if you have vibes. That way you can rule out the rear shaft as the problem.

How bad are the vibes. Does the whole floor vibrate, just the shifter, etc. Is it speed based, rpm based, etc.

RE 3.5 SuperFlex & Front Trackbar / JKS 1.25" BL & MML / 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 AR-23s / Currie Anti-Rock / Jeeperman Bumpers / Rokmen Sliders / York OBA / Harbor Freight 8k Winch
RockRunner85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2005, 05:27 PM   #8
Muddeprived

Same problem here. Couldn't explain it any better. Everything checks out fine. Drove with front DS and with rear DS and the vibe was still there. DAM#
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2005, 05:45 PM   #9
RockRunner85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived
Same problem here. Couldn't explain it any better. Everything checks out fine. Drove with front DS and with rear DS and the vibe was still there. DAM#

Is the vibe at a constant rpm??. I have that problem since I put on my York OBA with the Kilby brackets. I know this isn't related to a lift kit, but between 1,200 - 1,400 rpm I have a vibe I can feel through teh shifter and slightly through the floor. Everything checks out fine, ,bolts torqued, serptine clutch is good, etc. Not sure where the vibe came from so I know how frusturating it is.

RE 3.5 SuperFlex & Front Trackbar / JKS 1.25" BL & MML / 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 AR-23s / Currie Anti-Rock / Jeeperman Bumpers / Rokmen Sliders / York OBA / Harbor Freight 8k Winch
RockRunner85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2005, 05:58 PM   #10
coorsmgood
2010 JK Wrangler 

motor mount bad?clutch fan full of mud or bad?or bent?
Unread 08-30-2005, 05:58 PM   #11
jeephreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconSS
Couldn't find the old thread.

Put on the 2.5" lift - Got vibes.
Tightened everything - vibes.
Put on the rear track bar relo bracket - vibes.
Put on the TC lowering kit - vibes.
Just got all Four (4) tires perfectly balanced - vibes.

Not really sure where to go from here. Will re-check the pinion angle tonite after everybody goes to bed - wife and kids won't speak to me anymore (too much time in the garage).

Nothing has been changed and the rig hasn't seen the woods since the lift.

It's the lift - and it's mocking me.

Sad thing is, I KNEW this was going to happen.
I think its a problem with 05 Rubicons!!! While my SYE pretty much took away all the vibes in the drive line, anything over 60 mph gives me a good shimmy in the steering wheel. Everything is tight, checked and rechecked, tires are balanced (3 times), track bar was checked, control arms, you name it. If you cure yours please let me know what fixed it.

MY RIG

r.i.p. Cap'n Crunch
jeephreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2005, 06:04 PM   #12
Tenacious

SS, I'm in the middle of the same issue. My 04' Rubi has a 3.5" suspension lift and I've done all the things you have, tires are not my issue either. I have a Tom Woods CV rear driveshaft. I have zero degrees on both my pinions, while it sits in the garage. Then, I drive it and have vibes at 60-65mph.

The thing is this. Have someone engage 1st gear and watch your axle twist up as power is applied. That rear axle will rotate under load - a bunch. I just took another measurement on the rear diff-to-pinion and found it to be 4 degrees axle-high. Then I moved it forward and back by hand, and it changed again.

I'm wondering if the natural front/back flexing of my upper control arms could be the cause? This flexing changes the rear driveshaft angles.

I'm using Rubicon Express adjustable uppers - what do you have?
Unread 08-30-2005, 06:20 PM   #13
stedwest
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have to ask , at what speed do the vibes appear? How many miles on the tires? Have you done a toe adjustment yet?
Unread 08-30-2005, 08:48 PM   #14
RubiconSS

Toe-in (allignment) was one of my diagnosis steps, sorry forgot that one on my list.
ALL control arms are stock right now.
The vibes are in the floor mostly at speeds (52-54) 65 under load, going up a long hill.
And right before coming to a stop. Wierd, i know.

I am far from giving up. I will get it solved OR expose an undisclosed problem before I'm done.
Unread 08-30-2005, 09:13 PM   #15
btolle

Before you scream at me (I know you said you had them balanced), I have had lots of problems with tires not being PROPERLY balanced. Interestingly, the problem usually showed up between 52 and 54 MPH and sometimes in the upper 60's (does that sound familiar).

Frankly, I have my doubts that the vibes are caused by the lift since the vibes did not change when you removed each driveshaft.

I know the machine may have said that they were balanced but unless it was one of the new Hunter GSP9700 balancers I doubt they are properly balanced. Believe me I have been down this road and sold a set of TrXus MT's that were probably OK for $40 when they had about 10K miles on them because the dealer could not balance them.

Was disappointed to find that the BFG MT's I bought to replace the TrXus had a vibe at 52-54 MPH. Went back to the tire dealer after 400 miles and they had just received their new GSP9700 balancer. Drove out and had NO vibes at all any more!!

You can find someone with the Hunter by looking at http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/balancer/index.htm

If you don't believe me, go back to the tire store and have them check the balance. After they rebalance (yes they will be out of balance) have them turn the tire 180 degrees on the balancer and they will show up as out of balance.

Bill Tolle
05 Rubicon
04 Liberty

If you love offroading and want the trails to stay open please join Blueribbon Coalition.
"Preserving our natural resources FOR the public instead of FROM the public"
http://sharetrails.org/
btolle is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.