Its not the throw out bearing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Its not the throw out bearing

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 01-01-2014, 07:43 AM   #1
bigmac
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Its not the throw out bearing

98 tj 4.0 ax14

Ok so I don't know for certain that it isn't the throw-out bearing but I think all to often that is a BS catchall answer. I have used the search function a few times and have been unable to come up with a decent answer. (If i have missed a thread please let me know).

The other day I was idling around with 2 passengers vice my normal 1 and I had a squeaking noise show up. I wasn't terribly alarmed because I have heard it before. I had just forgotten about it. When I do hear it (I've been hearing it for years) which isn't often, I make a mental note to check it out and then never remember to follow up.

So it only shows up at very low speeds, clutch released, at idle or just above idle, in 1st or 2nd gear. (not sure if it disappears at higher speeds or gears or if it just gets covered up by other noise) seems to squeek slightly faster as RPMs increase until i get above 1200 RPMS.

The noise sounds like it comes from below the shifter boot somewhere(AX-15 transmission) and is very faint (no its not just the shifter rattling). Sounds like a couple Styrofoam egg cartons squeaking together, or maybe like my dog whining when hes afraid of getting yelled at for whining Or who knows maybe it sounds like a loose rubber mount or something...

Most of the information I read about the throw out bearing stuff says that throw out bearings make noise when clutch is depressed not released. I really want to get to the bottom of this issue so if some of the pros out there could chime in I would really appreciate it. Happy new years.

bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Front drive shaft double carden joint is worn. You can buy some time (less noise anyway) by spraying with some lube, but it will need to be rebuilt.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yep no guarantees but that does sound like that noise could be caused by a bad u-joint or centering ball mechanism in your front driveshaft's CV joint. The squeaky sound caused by the CV joint is often described as sounding like "angry sparrows".

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #4
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yea pull the ft driveshaft and drive it around for a week or so and see if ya still hear it.

It's easier than changing out a throw out bearing.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 04:00 PM   #5
jeepjerryp7m8
1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
Yea pull the ft driveshaft and drive it around for a week or so and see if ya still hear it.

It's easier than changing out a throw out bearing.
I'm for this option. Easiest way to eliminate one thing.
Shove it into 4X4 and try to reproduce the noise, I would think that the noise couldn't be reproduced with a load on the front shaft if the U-Joints are marginal.
jeepjerryp7m8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 08:17 AM   #6
bigmac
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks all for the responses, looks like the verdict is in. When I get it back from the shop (rear end regear) ill pull the front DS and give it the rundown. Should I spring for one of those 100$ kits from a major DS supplier or should i just pull the parts from Advance or Autozone?
Unread 01-02-2014, 09:29 AM   #7
JealousDad
1998 TJ Wrangler 

A little off topic but why did you only regear the rear? Or did you just replace broken rear gears.
JealousDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #8
bigmac
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I put a new front end in last week that already had 4.88s in it for the new 35's. The rear still had 3.73s. 4.88s going in today.
Unread 01-02-2014, 07:56 PM   #9
bigmac
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the responses. Got out on a dirt road this evening and slowed down real low in first gear. Started hearing the noise and popped it into 4Hi, noise disappeared. went back and forth a few times and got the same result. Front DS seems to be the culprit. Thanks guys.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.