Isuzu dana 44 in tj solid questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Isuzu dana 44 in tj solid questions

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
xj539

Isuzu dana 44 in tj solid questions

OK so I picked up the Isuzu axle, searched and searched and researched.
But rather then find answers I just hear everyone putting there .02 in why the 8.8 is better. Buy a pre built axle or buy a tj axle....not the droids I'm looking for...I mean information....

I understand that the axle is like 59" and the tj is like 60.5" , now would a normal tj Dane 44 axle fit in the axle I just got?

Common sense tells me no...

So would I have to find a place that sells izuzu rodeo or Honda pasport d44 axle shafts?

Also is the carrier the same so I could use a tj locker?

I'm gonna get a new drive shaft to bolt up to the pinion when I install the sye, and use my control arms to stretch the rear.

Brakes I think I read I can get the part from a Rubicon to adapt them.

xj539 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Not sure why you would go to all that trouble when the tj units are readily available.
No, the tj shafts won't fit.
d44 carriers are d44 carriers. mind the carrier break. Remember that Rubicon lockers are different. In bearings and carrier beak.

You might want to research the brake compatibility more...honestly, you probably should have asked and read more about this before buying that axle.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
hartke20g
1998 TJ Wrangler 

why'd you get an Isuzu 44? those have a 6x5.5 wheel pattern and your TJ is 5x4.5 so you'd have 2 sets of rims, or you'd need custom 44 shafts which means if you break one you can't just go to the junkyard and pick up a spare. i thought about this after i sold my Rodeo and it's just not worth it. you'd also have to weld on all new brackets since they're not the same as your TJ. IMO if you're gonna put that much time and money into an axle just buy some 1 tons or something.
Unread 05-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
xj539

Like I said opinions aren't needed here, u can go ahead and search and that's all you get are people just regurgitating what someone else said.

The fact the bolt pattern is 6x5.5 is fine because thats the same as a wagoner d44 front....

Ever thought that if my axle shaft breaks I just get em out of an Isuzu rodeo or Honda passport?..

I seen dozens of them in the junk yard with d44s, how many jeeps with d44s you see? Well you probably seen one with a line of guys behind it waiting for there turn to rape it
Unread 05-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

You should be able to chop a TJ axle to fit the length and run TJ drums or rotors.
Unread 05-30-2012, 01:10 AM   #6
hartke20g
1998 TJ Wrangler 

well if you already know what we're going to say and why we're going to say it, why not just prevent that from happening in the first place? all it takes is a simple statement like "i've got a front axle with a matching bolt pattern and gears".
honestly, if you're working on anything Isuzu, these are the guys to go to
https://www.independent4x.com/merchantmanager/index.php
that's where i got all my 'Zu stuff and they even have lockers for the 'Zu 44s. check out www.planetisuzoo.com as well.
and yes, Isuzu 44s are plenty strong for most setups. there's nothing wrong with using an "oddball" axle (by popular standards). just make sure we're all on the same page- we don't know where you're at in your current project, how experienced you are, etc.
Unread 05-30-2012, 01:49 AM   #7
xj539

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartke20g
well if you already know what we're going to say and why we're going to say it, why not just prevent that from happening in the first place? all it takes is a simple statement like "i've got a front axle with a matching bolt pattern and gears".
honestly, if you're working on anything Isuzu, these are the guys to go to
https://www.independent4x.com/merchantmanager/index.php
that's where i got all my 'Zu stuff and they even have lockers for the 'Zu 44s. check out www.planetisuzoo.com as well.
and yes, Isuzu 44s are plenty strong for most setups. there's nothing wrong with using an "oddball" axle (by popular standards). just make sure we're all on the same page- we don't know where you're at in your current project, how experienced you are, etc.
Thank you for the links! That is very helpful. Before I build this by trial and error I wanted some info from someone that has maybe done it before....everyone says it can be done but finding someone that's done it is another story.
Unread 05-30-2012, 02:06 AM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Anything can be done. I know of some grands with Toyota rear axles(a better, stronger choice btw)
But finding people that have done oddball swaps like this isn't easy. You'd have better luck searching pirate and Google honestly.

There's some very nice, and outside the box, work done around here. but there's other suess with more history of interesting swaps out there.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2012, 02:11 AM   #9
xj539

independent4x4 makes a $360 kit to weld all the tj spring mounts and control arm mounts to that axle. So now I order some wheel adapters and a little drive shaft mod and it should work
Unread 05-30-2012, 02:16 AM   #10
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
But finding people that have done oddball swaps like this isn't easy.
Flatlander757 comes to mind, because he did a passenger side drop dana 60 front on his TJ. He had to move everything around.

But The only other time I've seen someone swap in an izuzu 44 is my friend that had a 5.9 Grand. He said it was kind of a pain, but obviously the OP is ready to deal with it.
Unread 05-30-2012, 07:39 AM   #11
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

why not just get an 8.8? 8.8's kick a dana 44's ***. they are alot stronger, yes they have c clips but thats not what fails. all 96 and up is equipped with disc brakes, and alot of them have a limited slip. i got my 8.8 for 100 bucks, limited slip in perfect condition, and just regeared it to 4.56 this past weekend.

an 8.8 has strength that is almost as strong as a dana 60, so why go through the same trouble to do the isuzu dana 44 and an 8.8, when shafts, carriers, gears, etc. are readily available and at your dispense.

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #12
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj539 View Post
independent4x4 makes a $360 kit to weld all the tj spring mounts and control arm mounts to that axle. So now I order some wheel adapters and a little drive shaft mod and it should work
What size are the tubes on that axle?

There are several companies that make TJ axle brackets.

Mad4wd has a kit that is $199.

http://mad4wd.com/index.php?main_pag...roducts_id=322
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #13
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post
why not just get an 8.8? 8.8's kick a dana 44's ***. they are alot stronger, yes they have c clips but thats not what fails. all 96 and up is equipped with disc brakes, and alot of them have a limited slip. i got my 8.8 for 100 bucks, limited slip in perfect condition, and just regeared it to 4.56 this past weekend.

an 8.8 has strength that is almost as strong as a dana 60, so why go through the same trouble to do the isuzu dana 44 and an 8.8, when shafts, carriers, gears, etc. are readily available and at your dispense.
Because he already picked up the axle and is content with doing the work needed to make it work. He already said he's not changing it up.
Unread 11-03-2014, 09:26 PM   #14
jcol

i'm going to be doing the same swap soon, wondering if you ever did it?
jcol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #15
dustymc
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Instead of that kit, but an adapter kit to put a D8 Caterpillar final drive in a 1962 Cadillac. It's work about as well, except you'll KNOW nothing is going to fit so there won't be as many surprises.

Or buy an Artec truss - that's what I'd do if I had to do it again.

(OK, the MAD kit isn't quite that bad - everything ALMOST fits. It's still kind of expensive for almost.)
dustymc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.