Issues with replacement engine and transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Issues with replacement engine and transmission

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-26-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
gensysmike
1998 ZJ 

Issues with replacement engine and transmission - SOLVED

This is a little long, but will try and keep it simple.

2000 Wrangler TJ. I had a 4 cylinder and blew the engine. Have gone to a reputable local shop that specializes in Jeeps. Decided to upgrade to a 6 cylinder. Shop found a 2000 engine for me, approximately 60000 miles. Automatic transmission and they provided that also. The rebuild is complete and I have put approximately 2500 miles on the rebuild. I am having a continuing CEL problem since the rebuild. At higher speeds 50 plus mph CEL will come on. OBD reader indicates multiple cylinder misfire. Have had it back in to shop 3 times now trying to get to the bottom of the problem. All the usual things have been looked at. There is a service bulletin out on the 4.0 with carbon build up problems that may cause this. They performed the specified decarbon procedure. CEL still comes on, not as frequently, not as long. It will go out. If I drive on secondary roads, never approaching higher speeds, CEL NEVER comes on. FYI the service bulletin is 09-003-03. Drivability is good, I do not notice any obvious performance issues. It seems to run very good. Anyway. The shop seems very uncertain at this point. They still have it, they are working on it, but I thought I would throw it up here for input. And yes, I am very frustrated, am trying to work through it with the shop, but am getting concerned.

UPDATE
After rebuild completed had an ongoing problem as outlined above. Misfires diminished after applying the decarboning TSB, but they did not go away. Camshaft Synchronizer, and CPS were replaced with Borg Warner parts. Misfires continued. Both parts were re - replaced with Mopar parts. 0 misfires after several hundred miles. I know it has been mentioned here before, but sometimes getting the MOPAR makes a difference.

Last edited by gensysmike; 07-29-2010 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: resolution
gensysmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
gensysmike
1998 ZJ 

bump
Unread 07-28-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Did they put the 4.0 computer in and associated wiring for all the sensors for a 2000TJ?
It just sounds like they missed something, also check your cat.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
gensysmike
1998 ZJ 

they used the donor computer and wire harness and mated it with the existing wire harness. they use a service out of arkansas that regularly performs this modification. cat is good.
Unread 07-28-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well have they changed the cps, kps, coil packs, checked distributor gear for wear, injectors, All the connections for corrosion or bad connections?
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
gensysmike
1998 ZJ 

bump
Unread 08-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
DirtyS
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You work for Chrysler, don't ya?
DirtyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 06:18 AM   #8
keithert
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

What did the new engine and labor cost you? I have an 05 and wonder what's coming down the road.
Unread 08-05-2010, 06:24 AM   #9
j_niko
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a timing issue
j_niko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine , issues , replacement , swap , 4.0L , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.