Issues with ORO SwayLoc install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Issues with ORO SwayLoc install

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 11-11-2007, 09:48 AM   #1
kinder
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Issues with ORO SwayLoc install

If anyone can assist I would greatful.

I just finished installing the ORO (Manual) swayloc and I am not able to disengage the sway are due to the angle of the arm to the jeep. The manual lever hits the fender supports. I'm not sure if I have the wrong linkage arms or not. I know, I know I can cut the fender bracket, but I really don't want to do that. Thanks in advance for your help.

dscn1302.jpg
dscn1303.jpg
dscn1305.jpg

kinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2007, 01:39 PM   #2
cincytj

i checked mine, they are about the same angle, your might be a little higher in the back then mine, maybe you can shorten the links a little?
knoblock rear bumper, OBA in process,
bestop tire carrier, 35-12.5-16 trXus MT's on MOABs with 1.25 spidertrax
Currie HD steering
Nth Degree 6" LA kit. Garvin Wilderness Rack w/hi-lift mnt
HEMI & 5spd Auto
cincytj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
SurfnSnow
2010 JK Wrangler 

Probably you only need to reduce the angle of the bars a bit and shorten the links like cincytj said. Afterwards you might want to double check to see if they are hitting/rubbing at full flex.
SurfnSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2007, 02:50 PM   #4
jdragger

How do those things work? Is that a whole sway bar replacement? Does it have similar handling as stock (is it good on the street - i.e. stiff enough)? Where did you guys get them?

I want to get rid of my disconnects, as they are noisey, rattle, and generally a p.i.t.a.
jdragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2007, 05:42 PM   #5
kinder
2006 LJ Wrangler 

cincytj: is it possible to cut them down to size? I could not tell if the threads go all the way through.

jdragger:
I can tell you from just driving around with them today (had to take the family to do the weekly running around) they are much better than the stock sway bar. They are quiet, nice and tight and work very very well on the parking lot bumps at 25MPH. When turning a corner I don't feel any roll or rock. They are great thus far. To buy them go to www.northridge4x4.com, the sell two models, the manual and the air activated one. I went with the manual one and saved a few bucks. It was really simple to install; however, I had to do some grinding away of my SkidRow front bumper as the corners of my bumper were too close to the end of the swaybar (see attached picture).

dscn1309.jpg
Unread 11-11-2007, 06:03 PM   #6
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

i have that problem w/ mine...i just lift up on the bumper a bit, and that works.
i don't have a lift on mine yet, so i actually had to cut off 1/2 the threads on the heim joints, and hack off the aluminum too. (they should be for 2" minimum lift). i had no room to cut down anymore, hence why i pull up on the bumper.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2007, 09:29 PM   #7
CCrew
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Links are way too long. The swaylock arms should be pretty much parallel to the front section of the frame at rest.

-Roger
CCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2007, 09:36 PM   #8
kinder
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Roger:

Thanks for confirming my fear. Any thoughts correcting the issue? I can cut the arms down, but do you know if the internal threads go through the shaft or only partially.

Kevin
Unread 11-11-2007, 09:52 PM   #9
CCrew
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Kevin,
I honestly don't know how far the threads go in. I run a Currie Antirock personally, but have friends that run the full ORO gear (including airrocks) and just know what theirs look like. Yours looks the same as my Antirock would if it was set too high. Been there done that!. Best suggestion I can make is to pull one of the links apart and go at it with a flashlight in the hole. Or just wait until the am and call Steve @ ORO. Sorry I can't be of more help.

-Roger
CCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2007, 05:42 AM   #10
VinoTJ
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have the swayloc (manual) and like mentioned above, the links are too long for your lift height.
Unread 11-12-2007, 09:19 AM   #11
kinder
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone for you help, I spoke with Kevin at ORO this morning (great customer service) and they are sending a new set out. Yes they were too long.

Kevin
Unread 11-13-2007, 03:22 PM   #12
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I seem to recall a warning in my instruction saying that the fender support "might" be in the way if the arms are at too steep an angle. If the link length was needed to clear the tires then an alternative was to notch out the fender support.

With my BL on I don't have this problem but it sounds like ORO is taking care of you with a set of new links.

FYI, the end links do not have continuous threads in part due to the LH and RH twist nature of the threaded end links.

Just as an update I've been running the ORO SwayLOC for nearly a year now. Through mud, water, in dusty conditions and over many highway miles. It's been great. Everything remains nice and tight without any noises. And never has the SwayLOC failed to function, both engaging and disengaging. The upgrade in on-road handling from the Anti-rock I used to have is definitely worth the price of admission and the Jeep corners surprisingly flat and stable. Steering response has improved dramatically, too since I don't really have to wait for the Jeep to take a set when going into a turn the way I did with the Anti-rock. IIRC, the street bar is stiffer than the stock anti-sway bar to better account for lifted rigs. And offroad it gives me all the benefits and stability as the Anti-rock did.

Plus, the looks on guys faces at the trail head when you just flip a lever to "disconnect" your swaybar in about 2 seconds is great.

Better yet, at the end of a run when it's wet and the underside of the Jeeps are covered in muck and you're the one who's not having to monkey around with quick discos.
Unread 11-13-2007, 03:39 PM   #13
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea
Better yet, at the end of a run when it's wet and the underside of the Jeeps are covered in muck and you're the one who's not having to monkey around with quick discos.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2007, 04:43 PM   #14
kizer

lupinsea,
You know thats why I hate you.
kizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2007, 04:58 PM   #15
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Heh heh, sorry. I just have too much fun with the flip-a-lever thing on the SwayLOC.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.