IOD Fuse Location. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > IOD Fuse Location.

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 10-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
bpsouther

IOD Fuse Location.

[SOLVED]

1999 TJ - 4CYL - No AC
Problem: My dome light, radio, and gauges stopped working. I can hear that the radio's amp is getting juice (small pop when I turn it on) but it doesn't light up and is not making any other sound.

Everything I can find on Google points to the IOD (Ignition Off Draw) fuse.
In all cases the fuse was found in the PDC (Power Distribution Center) under the hood.

The problem is, I can't figure out which one it is.
The bottom of the PDC cover has a diagram that numbers the first half of the fuses but not the second (see Image)

Note that the first section has F2, F3, F4, etc to let you know which is which.
The second section, where I assume the IOD fuse is, doesn't have these labels.
It does point out the storage slot for the IOD Fuse (where you should put the fuse when you're going to store the Jeep for a while and don't want the battery to die) but it never mentions which fuse IS the IOD fuse. The owner's manual says it's #17. This, of course, does me no good if they are not numbered.

So, I checked every fuse in the PDC, as well as every fuse behind the glove box and they are all good. I checked visually and tested each for continuity with a DMM. I also checked with the DMM to make sure that there is juice going to each of them. Two fuses do not have power, a 10A and a 20A. I've labeled these in the image.

I'm assuming that, somewhere, there is a broken wire. I'm just not sure if it's before the fuse in the PDC or after it.

Does anyone know for certain which fuse is the IOD fuse?

Assuming that the problem is a broken wire, can anyone recommend to where I should start looking? Is there a spot under the dash where this wire connects to something where I can check for current?

Should there be two fuses without any current going to them in the PDC?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
-Ben

Last edited by bpsouther; 11-03-2012 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: Marked as solved
bpsouther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Fuse 17 is the 20A fuse above the 20A fuse you say has no power.

I'll check on the two with no power and get back.

...fuses 18 (20A) and 27 (10A) get power from the ASD relay. 18 is feed for injectors and coils. 27 is O2 sensor heaters.
ASD relay is only powered for the first two seconds the ignition is on, or when the engine is cranking or running.

You can check the rest in the FSMs linked in my sig.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
bpsouther

Thanks, Johnny.

Where did you see the numbering of the fuses?
Unread 10-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Go to the FSM link in my sig and select Jeep Wrangler TJ/1999/Wiring Diagrams. It's on page 22 - which is page 8W-10-2 of the FSM. Scroll down and on the rest of the pages in section 8W-10 you will see what the fuses supply. If you don't understand any of the wiring diagrams go to the very first page in the wiring diagrams and read up. It explains how to follow the diagrams and what the wire colours are.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
bpsouther

Nevermind. I found it in the FSM. Thanks again for the link.

Here is a the numbering of the fuses for anyone else looking.
99-tj-pdc.jpg  
Unread 10-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
bpsouther

Looks like our posts crossed.
Thanks again.
-Ben
Unread 11-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
bpsouther

Got the issue fixed.
Here are some pictures that I took while fixing it. Maybe they'll help someone else.

The problem ended up being a corroded wire.
It was is pink with a white strip and it runs from fuse 17 in the PDC, through the firewall, to the cabin.
It was broken right at the connector where the fuse plugs in. Everything else in the PDC looked clean so I'm assuming this is due to galvanic corrosion. I live a 1/4 mile from the beach so the air is always damp and salty here and there is always a small current going through that wire (it's what keeps your preset stations alive when you're car is off).

Because I don't have the special tools used to crimp the wires into the PDC and because there were other wires in that same slot (see purple wire in the pic of the back of the PDC) I opted to jump off of one of those. I split the insulation, wrapped the jumper wire around it and then soldered it in. See pic. If someone who knows better thinks that's a bad idea, please feel free to chime in with why.

There is also a picture of where the wiring harness goes through the firewall. For some reason, even though the battery, PDC and the inside fusebox are all on the passenger side, they chose to run the harness all the way to the driver's side before going through the firewall. In that pic, you can see the pink and white wire with a small hole in the insulation where I was probing it with the test light.
img_20121103_085844.jpg   img_20121103_085851.jpg   img_20121103_090423.jpg   img_20121103_090429.jpg   img_20121103_090759.jpg  

Unread 05-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
DaveLotek
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks bpsouther, I found a similar problem with the "pink/white" wire under the engine compartment fuse box. All of the needle gauges were dead along with the odometer. Rust created some sharp edges under the fuse box and sawed the wire in two. I soldered it back together, taped it, and put fiberglass packing tape over the edges. Everything is fine now. 97 TJ 2.5, 5spd.
DaveLotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

It is probably OK but I think that pk/wt wire is for the IOD fuse as you say but that is fuse 20 (right next to 17) which has a 10a fuse & the wire is 20g according to the FSM. The purple (violet) wire you used appears to be the horn relay wire which is actually from fuse 17 & is 18g from a 20a fuse. If all that is correct then you now have the IOD circuit with its 20g wire on a 20a fuse. Probably not a big problem but if that circuit ever gets overloaded that 20g wire will get hot before it reaches 20 amps to blow the fuse. It would be preferable to tap in as you did with an 18g (or bigger) wire & run it out of the PDC & to an in line 10a fuse then the pk/wt wire from there. That will give you 10a protection & have the fuse accessible if needed.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
bpsouther

Dave,
Glad the post helped. Glad to hear that the 97s are still doing well.

Rubi4MyMrs,
It's been a while since I did this. For some reason I thought I checked to make sure the fuse was not higher. Maybe not.
Next time I'm in there I'll throw a 10a inline fuse on that wire.
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #11
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yes, I see it was a few months ago & like I said it probably is OK & you may never have a problem but I’ve seen a few problems like yours & this also may help someone searching here to consider wire size & fuse capacity when doing the repair.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #12
bpsouther

Good point.
Thanks.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.