Intermittent Starting Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Intermittent Starting Problems

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-21-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
explorerlyon

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Intermittent Starting Problems

Sometimes I turn the key and nothing. Sometimes I turn the key and it starts right up. I followed the testing procecures described here and everything checked out ok: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/st...g-read-853439/

The problem occurs more often when the Jeep has been sitting for a while. The problem started after a deep water crossing that definately submerged the starter. I don't want to replace the started until I am sure that is the problem. The intermittent starting makes me question what is really wrong. When the Jeep will not start, jiggling the key or the shift lever (automatic) makes no difference.

What is wrong and how can I be sure it is the starter before pulling it and replacing it?

If I do need to replace the starter, any brand recommendations?

Unread 06-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #2
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Next time it happens, try hitting the starter with a hammer or long pole. I'd also take it somewhere and have the battery tested before anything else.

If you need to replace it, I highly recommend OEM.

Edit: I just realized that it's you Alan. If you need help shoot me a PM.

-Jake

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
explorerlyon

2005 LJ Wrangler 

bump

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.