Intermittent beeping on startup - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Intermittent beeping on startup

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 07-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
moitura

Intermittent beeping on startup

When I go to start my Jeep, usually I put the key in the ignition and half-turn it for a second or two (the Jeep beeps at me and some dash lights come on at this point), then I turn the key enough to engage the starter and start the Jeep.

Recently, when I put the key in the ignition and half-turn it, sometimes the Jeep no longer beeps at me, but will start just fine. It is an intermittent problem, sometimes it beeps at me, sometimes it doesn't. It isn't a major issue as the Jeep is starting up just fine, I'm just curious if something is going out? Has anyone has seen this issue before?

Unread 07-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Your beeper is dying a slow death, you can either be thankfull or you can fix it.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

It might be the switch in the seat belt clip that is dying. The initial beeps when the ignition is first turned on is a seat belt reminder chime. Or are you fastening your seat belt sometimes before starting up? That will stop the chimes sounding.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
moitura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jeep View Post
Or are you fastening your seat belt sometimes before starting up? That will stop the chimes sounding.
Haha, yeah that was the first thing I thought I was doing, but turns out it doesn't beep sometimes without the seat belt fastened.
Unread 07-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

If it doesn't beep when the seat belt is unfastened it must be the seat belt switch then. The switch is normally connected to ground and when the belt is clipped in the switch opens breaking the circuit. If the contacts have gone bad it must be getting a connection just part of the time.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beep , start , key , ignition , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.