Intermident Rough Engine Starts Please Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Intermident Rough Engine Starts Please Help!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
micktompkins

Intermident Rough Engine Starts Please Help!

Hello All!

Longtime lurker and first time post, so here it goes:

For the past month or so now my 98 TJ 2.5 4cyl/auto w/150,xxx has been acting terrible on cold start ups. The best way to describe the problem would be that it seems to lose spark among one or more cylinders until the motor hits normal operating temp. I would think that it may just be a cold engine but this sometimes happens while I am driving with normal engine temps...this sometimes leads to a dangerous scenario of practically losing all power on the highway until the jeep decides that its ready to chug along once more.
Now for about a month I have been lurking around this forum amongst others trying to pinpoint the problem but am still at a loss. So far I have replaced spark plugs/wires/coil distributor cap and rotor yet I am still having this issue.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Mick

micktompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum.

When it gets real cold (like tommorrow -15F) my TJ 2.5L sounds like a tank. I give it a little leeway seeing its 14yrs old. I get a little grouchy too when it gets too cold.

As far as the loss of power during driving, try cleaning out the throttle body. I had a similiar issue where I'd go to pass somebody and the Jeep lurched and coughed. It happened when I tried to gun it to hard. Cleaning out my throttle body cured the problem for me. There is a good write up on here.
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
micktompkins

Thank you for the welcome and quick reply. I'll read up on the DIY and hopefully get to clean it in the next day or so.

Thanks Again,

Mick
Unread 01-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
micktompkins

Hi all! Finally got around to cleaning the throttle body this weekend and it seemed to fix the issue for unfortunately only 5 or so miles. Sometimes the only thing that seems to fix the problem is just turning the key off then back on and the jeep will run smoothly for a short time before acting like its choking up again. Any other suggestions to try and remedy this problem (possible ECU/ECM maybe??)

Thanks again in advance,

Mick

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.