Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

interior lights not working after gauge cluster LED install

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  lander 
#1 ·
i installed LED lights in the gauge cluster, HVAC controls, rear wiper/defrost/OD off toggle switches, and auto tranny shifter today. all of the lights were working until i went to put the last LED into the OD off toggle switch. i put it in, turned the lights on to make sure it worked, and then none of them came on. i switched a couple bulbs back to stock to see if any of those worked, but nothing. i checked the fuses and they're all good. theres a weird buzzing sound coming from i think around the center dash area (radio, hvac, toggle switches).

i just dont understand why all the lights worked (and looked good:2thumbsup:) one second, then the next second they all stopped working.

any ideas? i honestly dont know electrical for ****, so i had my gf's dad look at it for me because he knows a ton about this stuff. he couldn't figure it out either.

#5 ·
I just installed my LED's this evening (took all of ten minutes start to finish). Two things to check...first, if you look at the plastic holder that you slide the LED's into, there's a mark on them...make sure they're all facing to the top of the cluster. Second...the left connector as you sit is the one that controls the interior lights, make sure it's seated completely and snaps into place when you put it back.

Now...this is for my '03 TJ, but I'd think it's probably similar. When I first plugged my cluster back in I got nothing...when I got to looking I saw the marks on the holders and noticed two were facing down, so I switched just those two and the lights that I had the correct polarity for came on. I had two in wrong...switched those and voila.

When I was plugging it up I noticed the left cable was the one that, when plugged in, made the interior lights come on. Seems strange they'd route the interior lights through the gauge cluster...but they did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.