Interior Door Panel Removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Interior Door Panel Removal

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 10-04-2003, 06:44 PM   #1
rock2r

Interior Door Panel Removal

What's the tricks to removing the interior door panel (pass side) from the door assy? I want to pop a dent out that's been there from the previous owner. I got as far as removing the window crank and closure pull strap. I then tried to peek inside from the bottom to see what holds it all together. I saw some sort of "white nylon" fasteners....I think. I tried a little bit of prying apart, but nothing budged. Anyhow..thought I'd ask before I broke something. I do not have a service manual. It's a '98 Sahara, if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance.

Smittybuilt Neoprene Seat Covers (Blk/Blk-yet to fade!)
Jeeperman Rock Skidz-Herculined "for her pleasure"!
"Tough Stuff"- Fender, Door & Grill Protectors
rock2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2004, 01:12 PM   #2
samsammy23

How did you get the window crank off? I can't get this off?
Thanks.
Chad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock2r
What's the tricks to removing the interior door panel (pass side) from the door assy? I want to pop a dent out that's been there from the previous owner. I got as far as removing the window crank and closure pull strap. I then tried to peek inside from the bottom to see what holds it all together. I saw some sort of "white nylon" fasteners....I think. I tried a little bit of prying apart, but nothing budged. Anyhow..thought I'd ask before I broke something. I do not have a service manual. It's a '98 Sahara, if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance.
samsammy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2004, 01:27 PM   #3
slabb42

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsammy23
How did you get the window crank off? I can't get this off?
Thanks.
Chad.
the window crank comes off easily with the right tool, go to your local auto parts store, and look for the "help!" tools, and replacement parts, there is a wierd fork looking tool, that is it. you need to push it behind the window crank to pop out the retainer clip (also known as the "oh -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=" clip because it usually goes flying across the garage!) cup your hand around the post of the crank while doing this to prevent the clip from getting airborne.

here is the snap-on version of this tool, so you have an idea of what it looks like:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/pro_d...re&dir=catalog

as far as the door panel goes, i believe it is held in by nylon fasteners. if you do not use a panel tool to pop them, and you use a screwdriver, etc, you run the risk of breaking the fastener, or worse, your door. they are in there tight, so go to sears, and get a "tack puller" (located with the screwdrivers, and awls) or if you can find a prybar with a forked end, that will work too. I use a snap-on panel tool made for this type of job, but it was expensive (around $23) http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/pro_d...re&dir=catalog
Unread 03-18-2004, 01:33 PM   #4
roofdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock2r
Those "white nylon fasteners" are holding the skin on. I believe they make a "special tool" for them, but you don't need it. Just get a big flathead screwdriver, slide it in right near the fastener, and then gently twist the driver. Fastener should pop out (it's just a plastic screw-like fastener that wedges itself in there). Repeat the process for the remaining fasteners (there are a few of them). To reinstall, just line up fastener w/ the appropriate hole, and give the door skin a good hit (should seat itself).
roofdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2004, 09:48 AM   #5
samsammy23

I bought that special tool for $5 at Azone. The clip did go flying across the garage. Good call and thanks. Once again, the right to for the job seems to work much better.
Chad.
samsammy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2004, 10:10 AM   #6
Dragonmaster

I just use a regular dinner fork with the centre two tongs cut out, works wonders.
Work 2 Live, Live 2 Play, Play = JEEP
Dragonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2004, 05:19 PM   #7
slabb42

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsammy23
I bought that special tool for $5 at Azone. The clip did go flying across the garage. Good call and thanks. Once again, the right to for the job seems to work much better.
Chad.

i told you that it would go flying! did you say "oh *****" when it did? that is why we call them "oh $-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= clips"

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.