Intense driveline vibration - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-21-2017, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Mcktj97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Intense driveline vibration

Hi all, new to the site.
I'm hoping to add all kinds of before and after pics of my Jeep since I just finished it, but for now, I need a little help.
backstory:
replaced all brakes, wheel bearings, steering components, and tires. It had a wobble at 70km/hr before on the old tires, but I replaced them and the wobble went away ( they were WORN OUT)
I was putting it though its paces once I had it on the road and insured. At about 80km/hr-100 a very intense vibration comes on. You can feel it in everything, seats, floor, and the speedo flakes out (0-max, and back again)
I had it in the shop and was told that the rear pinion bearing felt like it was worn.
I rebuilt the entire rear D35, new carrier bearings, pinion bearings, axle bearings, seals, the whole meal deal.
STILL had that same vibration. I thought, meh, why not do the ujoints? So I replaced the rear ujoints. STILL have the vibration.
took the rear driveshaft off, it KIND of goes away, the vibration I feel now COULD just be the tires.
After some googling, I have gotten SO many mixed stories of what to check next.
My question is: Am I looking at a possible output shaft? I dont feel a ton of play in it as I push it side to side, (I dont know what to measure it in, im going to say probably 5 thou? ( I could be way wrong on that though) and it does turn side to side quite a bit (1/8 turn left to right)
Any help or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

1997 TJ-2" body lift-2" spring lift-2.5L I4 5spd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-22-2017, 06:55 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Please complete your profile so people understand how your jeep is equipped. This will help people answer you better.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-22-2017, 07:01 AM
JimSmith
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
You should try removing the front driveline then drive it to see if the vibes go away. If not, get the Jeep up on jack stands or a lift and run it with and without the drivelines attached watching for anything that may be the cause.

'98 Chili Pepper 2.5, AX5, 33x12.5x15, 5.13, D30 Aussie, Super 35

post #4 of 8 Old 08-22-2017, 07:20 AM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

^^
What they both said above...
post #5 of 8 Old 08-22-2017, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Mcktj97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So, interesting note:
I have driven it on a few high(er) speed runs, from 60 to 100km/hr back and forth a few times. Clutch in, clutch out, downhill, uphill, it all vibrates the same. Until! I engage the transfercase to 4hi.
Complete the 0-100km/hr run again, and it runs as smooth as a tj on 33's can be expected.
Could this be something in the tcase that's running at slack when not engaged, and vibrating, then when
Torque is applied, it tightens up??

1997 TJ-2" body lift-2" spring lift-2.5L I4 5spd.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-24-2017, 08:25 AM
Andy-WhiteTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Take the front drive shaft off and try again.

1998 White TJ with a whole lotta stuff...

Just another member of:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(a 501(c)(7) Not-for-Profit Corporation)
Member:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Northeast Off-road Vehicle Alliance)
post #7 of 8 Old 08-24-2017, 11:46 AM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

take the shaft off and drive again. See if it goes away.

If it does, then inspect the Ujoints on the shaft. IF they are good , look at the front output on Tcase...step by step elimination

2006 LJR...the madness begins again
post #8 of 8 Old 08-24-2017, 12:45 PM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

When the CV and u joints locked up on my rear drive shaft, I honestly thought I had huge transmission or differential issues, it shook that badly.
I had it towed to a local 4x4 shop. They find the rear shaft need to be rebuilt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.