Intelligent Question About Death Wobble - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #106 of 114 Old 01-01-2014, 02:45 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley
Posts: 29,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
Yes, as my speed was lowered to 65 mph, I never again had any kind of wobble at all going over the same section of bumps on the highway. I agree that with greater speed the angular momentum increases when hitting something that makes the tires deflect. That's why in other motorsports circles it's called "speed wobble" instead of "death wobble" but Precession by itself doesn't sit well with me when I picture the entire ovrall event that is DW, I'm sure it does play a part, but I don't think its as significant as you hold it to be.

Picture a man on a unicycle, he's riding down the road and hits a bump that bounces him one way or the other... if he's skilled at riding he'll just cope with the bounce, lean whichever direction he needs to correct things, and keep pedaling down the road. If precession had such a violent effect as you're hypothesizing, the unicycle rider would go into violent shakes every time he hit an uneven surface.
Once you find an example that supports your position, you just find it almost impossible to move past it, don't you? Your buddy on the unicycle is atop a wheel that is smallish diameter and weight comparatively with a much lower speed. The angular momentum that develops in your scenario is much less than what even a normal bicycle has to deal with.

All the examples I've dug up for you are based on a perfectly balanced gyro with enough structure to support them so we can see the effects direction change has to create precession.

What size would that support structure have to be with a 35" tire on a steel rim spinning at 60mph with one tire out of balance? Would you even want to be in the room with it?


I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
mrblaine is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #107 of 114 Old 01-01-2014, 04:23 PM
Dave02TJ
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Crystal Lake
Posts: 1,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post


What size would that support structure have to be with a 35" tire on a steel rim spinning at 60mph with one tire out of balance? Would you even want to be in the room with it?
Funtech#3 lol

Thank you guys for teaching me what precession is, I didn't know, quite interesting.
Dave02TJ is offline  
post #108 of 114 Old 01-01-2014, 05:33 PM
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?
 
Necromancer_tat's Avatar
2015 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Norfolk/San Diego
Posts: 5,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Once you find an example that supports your position, you just find it almost impossible to move past it, don't you? Your buddy on the unicycle is atop a wheel that is smallish diameter and weight comparatively with a much lower speed. The angular momentum that develops in your scenario is much less than what even a normal bicycle has to deal with.

All the examples I've dug up for you are based on a perfectly balanced gyro with enough structure to support them so we can see the effects direction change has to create precession.

What size would that support structure have to be with a 35" tire on a steel rim spinning at 60mph with one tire out of balance? Would you even want to be in the room with it?
There are a lot of other forces that come into play on the front end of a vehicle other than precession. I agree that it's there, and I agree that with larger tires and higher speeds the force it's able to exert into the system is higher. I just don't think it's the primary culprit.

Picture an IFS mud truck running 44" Swamper bias ply tires that just got done playing in the local mud hole. Said truck is driving home with 10 lb's of mud inside each front rim and the tires are wildly off balance. IF precession was the primary culprit, said mud truck would have two bad cases of DW with each one of his front tires trying to wobble themselves right off the spindles.
Necromancer_tat is offline  
post #109 of 114 Old 01-01-2014, 05:36 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley
Posts: 29,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
There are a lot of other forces that come into play on the front end of a vehicle other than precession. I agree that it's there, and I agree that with larger tires and higher speeds the force it's able to exert into the system is higher. I just don't think it's the primary culprit.

Picture an IFS mud truck running 44" Swamper bias ply tires that just got done playing in the local mud hole. Said truck is driving home with 10 lb's of mud inside each front rim and the tires are wildly off balance. IF precession was the primary culprit, said mud truck would have two bad cases of DW with each one of his front tires trying to wobble themselves right off the spindles.
Again, not if the components are strong enough to withstand the forces acting upon them.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
mrblaine is online now  
post #110 of 114 Old 01-01-2014, 05:50 PM
rebelbowtie
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Daphne
Posts: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Again, not if the components are strong enough to withstand the forces acting upon them.
And in the case of the IFS mud truck the pitman/idler assembly would fail and you'd have DW... This has been a great conversation, reaffirmed many beliefs I have had regarding DW but didn't have the technical knowledge to really express it or fully comprehend.

He's an angel dressed in oilskins; he's a saint in the "Sou'wester,"
He's a pluck as they come, or ever can;
He's a hero born and bred, but it hasn't swelled his head,
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline  
post #111 of 114 Old 01-01-2014, 05:53 PM
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?
 
Necromancer_tat's Avatar
2015 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Norfolk/San Diego
Posts: 5,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Again, not if the components are strong enough to withstand the forces acting upon them.
I agree. Even if it was invisible trolls shaking the tires from side to side, if the components are strong enough to handle the forces there won't be any wobble.
Necromancer_tat is offline  
post #112 of 114 Old 01-01-2014, 06:00 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired
 
Knuckelhead's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 19,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
You said that wrong. Will he be missing something?
Now that was funny!...
Knuckelhead is offline  
post #113 of 114 Old 01-01-2014, 06:01 PM
SlackJaw
baby jeep
 
SlackJaw's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 5,239
Lols sorry I missed the action, a few funnies I was driving all day to the inlaws for the rest of the week

Necko, swap's all wrapped up. Motor seems good. Having the front driveshaft rebuilt locally and then I am hoping to get back to working on the Jeep because I WANT to rather than because I NEED to.

To the recent on topic, I have witnessed DW in an IFS....I was all like "WTF?" Lol.

Can you afford the car? Have I provided you all the information you need on the car? Do you like the car? Then buy the car.
SlackJaw is offline  
post #114 of 114 Old 01-01-2014, 06:53 PM
idiot magnet
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Noblesville, IN & Mackinaw City, MI
Posts: 704
Wow what a thread.

I had my front body mount break and I didn't notice it was broken for quite sometime and the only way I knew it was broken was when I hit a big bump which caused the front end to shift which busted my fan shroud. I never had any sign of DW before during or after the repair.
Tough to believe the busted body mount could cause DW.

A rebuilt '05 Unlimited w/ 6 spd, 4.0, 3" BDS springs, front locker, warn front bumper, PS corners, rock sliders and the list goes on and on.
Former Jeeps: 79 CJ7, 81 CJ7 Renegade, 85 CJ7 and a 95 YJ.
Project car: Big Block 4spd 69 mach 1 (it's back on the rotisserie for the final time).
Indyorv.com
idiot magnet is offline  
Reply

Tags
death wobble

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome