Intelligent Question About Death Wobble - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Intelligent Question About Death Wobble

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #31
matteo92065
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
... Not saying it couldn't be done, but not even a mediocre task for someone who does it every day like the Engineers who designed the system and obviously missed something or chose to ignore it.
Did they? Most all the DW cases are on modified Jeeps. Right?

2005 Jeep Rubicon
matteo92065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #32
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo92065 View Post
No, i had my first taste of DW back in 05 after buying a brand new 04 SE in October of 04. The DW came on at about 12k miles with stock 29 inch tires on stock steel 15x7 rims.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #33
J03_TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo92065

I've seen the FSB(s) that address it on Dodge trucks, which I believe are the same front suspension design. Also thing the FSB they put out for XJs and TJs applies to stock vehicles? They usually don't put the FSBs out there to fix aftermarket part problems.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #34
J03_TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine

I've chatted with Jim about this and they have some serious computer programs than can't even come up with a way to make sure it won't happen right out of the box. The best they can do is a close approximation and then go test it.
Is that the Jim from Nth Degree, can't recall if that was his name?
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #35
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Is that the Jim from Nth Degree, can't recall if that was his name?
Yes, he was one of the suspension engineers at Jeep before he started Nth.
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #36
J03_TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Yes, he was one of the suspension engineers at Jeep before he started Nth.
Yep, that's why I thought it might have been him. I would have liked to meet him. Closest I came was calling to talk to him back when nth was around to get some help on my (of all topics) DW. He was out in the hills testing one of his prototypes so I got to talk to his wife who told me to check my trackbar... Which was when I noticed how important it is to re-drill that axle end hole and not make it egg shaped. Oops.
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #37
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post

Remember when I said "you know nothing"? This is precisely why. What I have not seen mentioned is what happens to tire inflation pressures at different temperatures and how that affects the spring rate of the tire. I have also not seen any mention of the resonant frequency change in the front suspension as the weight transfer happens going up or down hills.

When I say "you know nothing", it also means I know nothing. The more I learn about DW, the less I am convinced I know.

For every single point, there is an equally valid counterpoint which refutes the point making both null and void.
Did you say that to me, or just in general? I don't remember you saying it to me. Coming from almost anyone else, I would have been a bit miffed. However, I am familiar with your bedside manner and know you don't mean anything personal.

What I was implying by my post, but was too tired at the time to get into, was that the change in material properties with temperature changes the resonance of the system. I had DW problems a few years ago, and "fixed" it by replacing all my bushings with poly ones (I know, I know, but it was my street-only DD, and I just wanted a quick fix without really changing anything). The DW stopped, but still remained as a shimmy, only at 10-15 mph faster for the speed band where it showed up. Since shifting to poly really only changes the stiffness of the bushings without affecting the other components, this shows that this does play a role. Clearly not the only role, though, as the posts above show.
JEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #38
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Which was when I noticed how important it is to re-drill that axle end hole and not make it egg shaped. Oops.
One of these days the correct understanding of that relationship, faying surfaces, clamping force, friction, bolt design, bolt tension, and sleeve diameter will finally take place.

Until then, the same myths will keep being repeated as truth and make about as much sense to some of us as the parable about the 4 blind guys describing an elephant.

There are 2 pieces of outstanding engineering on a stock TJ, one is the control arm and trackbar bolts, the second is the stock arms. Neither are understood very well by most.
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:52 PM   #39
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
Did you say that to me, or just in general? I don't remember you saying it to me. Coming from almost anyone else, I would have been a bit miffed. However, I am familiar with your bedside manner and know you don't mean anything personal.

What I was implying by my post, but was too tired at the time to get into, was that the change in material properties with temperature changes the resonance of the system. I had DW problems a few years ago, and "fixed" it by replacing all my bushings with poly ones (I know, I know, but it was my street-only DD, and I just wanted a quick fix without really changing anything). The DW stopped, but still remained as a shimmy, only at 10-15 mph faster for the speed band where it showed up. Since shifting to poly really only changes the stiffness of the bushings without affecting the other components, this shows that this does play a role. Clearly not the only role, though, as the posts above show.
You, I, We, as in, in general, nothing personal.

A note though, changing to poly only changes the stiffness if the poly is stiffer than what it replaced. Poly is not inherently stiffer.
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:02 PM   #40
J03_TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

There are 2 pieces of outstanding engineering on a stock TJ, one is the control arm and trackbar bolts, the second is the stock arms. Neither are understood very well by most.
Awe, your gonna treat the curved rear springs like a step child?
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:05 PM   #41
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Awe, your gonna treat the curved rear springs like a step child?
You should study one of those rear springs someday. It is phenomenally enlightening once you figure out what you are looking at.
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #42
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
You should study one of those rear springs someday. It is phenomenally enlightening once you figure out what you are looking at.
I think he felt as if you were leaving that part out when talking about good engineering on Chrysler part.

Unread 06-25-2013, 11:13 PM   #43
J03_TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necko2529

I think he felt as if you were leaving that part out when talking about good engineering on Chrysler part.
^ this. I honestly didn't know why they did it that way until I read about it on here. But he's right, probably would enjoy understanding the dynamics of it instead of just the cliff notes.
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:14 PM   #44
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
^ this. I honestly didn't know why they did it that way until I read about it on here. But he's right, probably would enjoy understanding the dynamics of it instead of just the cliff notes.
If the aftermarket were to employ the same spring manufacturing practices, they would be at least double what we pay now. Probably more.
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #45
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

J03_TJ, think about the stock spring and the way it sits, single rate spring. With the bow in it the leading edge of the spring is already more compressed than the back end and its already "harder". The back end of the spring is more relaxed and softer giving you impression of a dual rate spring. At least that's the way I understand it when I look at it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.