JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Intake Shootout (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/intake-shootout-524300/)

victory red 02-24-2008 05:39 AM

Intake Shootout

JP MAG, just did a in depth test in april's issue. 10 intake's in all. they ran 3 dyno pull's using a rear wheel dyno. interesting. look's like MOPAR and AEM BRUTE FORCE came out on top. must read article if you are looking at a intake. www.jpmagazine.com

TheBoogieman 02-24-2008 06:36 AM

Couldn't get past the pic of Bree.;)Was there an article?

victory red 02-24-2008 06:41 AM

don't know if the article is on their web site? but it was a good read in the mag.

Rollin 02-24-2008 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theboogieman (Post 4857809)
Couldn't get past the pic of Bree.;)Was there an article?

She is not hot

Jerry Bransford 02-24-2008 10:50 AM

Bree is a skank and Jp magazine never reviewed a product that advertised in their magazine they didn't love. Dyno tests can often be misleading and personally, I don't believe you really get power improvements on a TJ with aftermarket air intakes.

TheBoogieman 02-24-2008 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 4858537)
Bree is a skank and Jp magazine never reviewed a product that advertised in their magazine they didn't love. Dyno tests can often be misleading and personally, I don't believe you really get power improvements on a TJ with aftermarket air intakes.

WOW! sounds like you know her personally.I thought all magazines use their own reviews and skanks.:D QUADRATEC..etc..

joeyprice 02-24-2008 03:53 PM

because they don't post the actual graphs its impossible to tell what gains (or lack there of) you get driving your TJ like its NOT a race car. Honestly, how often do you wind your Jeep out to 5000+ RPM's? I usually shift mine somewhere between 2000 and 2500 - often even lower than that!
All these 'tests' and nobody ever posts the actual dyno plots, why it that so hard?

ranmannm 02-24-2008 06:26 PM

mmmmmm skank
I like my skank stock and she looks like shes had a few aftermarket parts.

Xlr8n 02-24-2008 06:56 PM

Quote:

I agree^^ I have lost respect for JP magazine as far as engine tech goes in the last couple years. They are very biased and any product they feature they are getting swooned by the manufacturer so the test results are always positive. Even on products that have proven to be junk.
Check out their "ten proven power adders" in the same issue. Look and notice that most are mods done to the "insane inline" XJ. Then flip to page 10 and read the letter regarding the "JR in hiding" and JP says they have the very same Jeep XJ at the shop putting the original engine back in due to "...the insane inline went poof for the second time in 20K miles..." Now how in the world can you have your technical cover story recommending several upgrades that apparantly caused two engine failures?

I'll repeat the same thing I posted in last CAI thread-
All of the intakes in their "test" are reported to give an increase of approximately 10hp and 10 ftlbs of torque at peak levels. Now this is the part they don't explain very well, but the RPM's that those numbers are acheived at peak is nowwhere near the range that you will see during ordinary driving, unless you routinely take it to the redline between every shift! For normal driving I would guess you'd see 3-5 extra hp tops but most likely not even that high, and most folks couldn't even recognize that small of a difference.
The other thing to consider is all but one of those of those kits use cotton gauze filters elements like the K&N which have proven to do a very pooor job at actually filtering out dirt particles. The one that uses a paper element is the AEM, but that system doesn't even wall off the backside of the box from underhood engine heat, so it isn't a true cold-air setup.
And I'll repeat, Save your money for mods that really make a difference.

(And sometimes a skank will do in a pinch.;))

LJinDelaware 02-24-2008 06:57 PM

I have'nt seen a pic of Bree or her Adams apple in about 4-5 issues.....:dunno:

TJgreg 02-24-2008 06:58 PM

Quote:

Bree is a skank.

Best observation of the whole test right here.

Jerry Bransford 02-24-2008 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJinDelaware (Post 4860512)
I have'nt seen a pic of Bree or her Adams apple in about 4-5 issues.....:dunno:

She was dropped from the magazine, though she still appears on Jp's website. Personally, while I like good looking women in thong bikinis as much as any guy, I don't miss Bree at all... she looked like she was rode hard and put away away wet for way too many years. :eek:

-BeNt- 02-24-2008 07:15 PM

Haha Jerry, I agree with the thong statement. But, from what I've seen Jerry knows his stuff pretty good, I believe I'll stick with his opinion also about intakes giving a TJ power. I'm not sure what some of you guys are looking for, but I've got a completely stock motor and it hasn't failed to take me where I need/want to go yet, how much more do you need???

Xlr8n 02-24-2008 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -BeNt- (Post 4860632)
.... I'm not sure what some of you guys are looking for, but I've got a completely stock motor and it hasn't failed to take me where I need/want to go yet, how much more do you need???

Truer words could not be spoken. If you want a race car, buy one. If you want a bulletproof torque king to take you to the end of the earth and back, check under the hood of your TJ!;)

fromme 02-24-2008 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xlr8n (Post 4860655)
Truer words could not be spoken. If you want a race car, buy one. If you want a bulletproof torque king to take you to the end of the earth and back, check under the hood of your TJ!;)

Couldn't agree more. That's why I have this to go fast:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...a/DSC01320.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...a/DSC01110.jpg

And this to go over rocks:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...8/DSC01046.jpg

I'm still not sure what the fascination is with CAI on Jeeps.
I chuckle when I see dyno testing done with the hood up...I dunno about you, but I usually try to remember to latch the hood down before I drive off and wheel.

The time now is 08:13 PM.