Intake manifold dirty, how should i clean it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Intake manifold dirty, how should i clean it?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-17-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
patricknolan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Intake manifold dirty, how should i clean it?

As stated, my intake manifold is dirty. Seems to have some oil in there as well as sludge buildup along the sides. Im young and haven't the experience to know if this is normal in vehicles, or if it is cause for concern and I should clean. Is there any good ways to clean it besides removing and just spraying it with carb cleaner?

patricknolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm assuming your speaking of the inside?Unless you want to do it the best way by pulling the intake, then all you can do is purchase throttle body spray cleaner and go at it.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
Chilly
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You need a can of throtle body cleaner, rag, Q-tips, screwdriver, chair, and a beer. Remove the throtle body from the motor and clean it. Takes about 15 minutes so you might need more than one beer
Unread 06-17-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
JohnF
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
You need a can of throtle body cleaner, rag, Q-tips, screwdriver, chair, and a beer. Remove the throtle body from the motor and clean it. Takes about 15 minutes so you might need more than one beer
He said he was young. He may have to wait until he's 21 to do the job
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
Chilly
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hell I had my first beer years before I had my first car lol but I guess that's how we rolled back in the day.
Unread 06-17-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
1jack5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

do not use carb cleaner, Throttle body cleaner only. Sea foam works good too. Crank the car and wait about 5 mins then pour into intake, at first you will think you just blew up your car because it will smoke like a Cuban with a cigar but it will do its cleaning job and make you Jeep run a lot better.
1jack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
patricknolan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
I'm assuming your speaking of the inside?Unless you want to do it the best way by pulling the intake, then all you can do is purchase throttle body spray cleaner and go at it.
Yes I will be pullnig it anyway to check for cracks on my exhaust manifold. Ill use the advice below for cleaning the throttle body and the intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post

He said he was young. He may have to wait until he's 21 to do the job
Well i guess I have to wait about 2 and a half more months before i can do this job!

Quote:
do not use carb cleaner, Throttle body cleaner only. Sea foam works good too. Crank the car and wait about 5 mins then pour into intake, at first you will think you just blew up your car because it will smoke like a Cuban with a cigar but it will do its cleaning job and make you Jeep run a lot better.
I actually already seafoam'd it last week. I didnt get much, if any smoke. It was more like someone smoking a cigarette at best. But I believe that is because my CAT may be clogged, which is a another project another day. Right now I am checking my exhaust for leaks first, which is why my intake and exhaust manifolds will be off.
Unread 06-17-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
Zackb911
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricknolan View Post
But I believe that is because my CAT may be clogged, which is a another project another day. Right now I am checking my exhaust for leaks first, which is why my intake and exhaust manifolds will be off.
I have a cat for sale in the classifieds cheap
Zackb911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 04:44 PM   #9
Shinitenshi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 4x4
Low output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club Member #0492
Shinitenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 05:13 PM   #10
Strizzy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Are you running a stock air filter or K&N?
Strizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #11
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've had my intake off going on 6 times!It's a piece of cake, if it's that dirty..... to do it like that and do it right!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #12
Chilly
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I also removed everything I could off the throtle body to help get into all the little holes.
Unread 06-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #13
Shinitenshi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have stock air filter oh and don't forget to pull those sensors off before u clean >.< once you figure out how to take it off omg really easy! 10min job

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 4x4
Low output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club Member #0492
Shinitenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 06:54 PM   #14
patricknolan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Im talking about the intake manifold.... not the throttly body. Its definitely not a ten minute job to remove that and clean it. Taking the throttle body off is a piece of cake.

Anyway, does everyone else have their brake lines (i think there brake lines) sandwhiched between a piece of sheetmetal that is bolted into the bottom of their intake manifold? I have this twice. These bolts are 9 mm and are stuck pretty good. Broke 1 socket adapter already and neitheer are even loose.

Also, anyone know what http://www.dailydriventj.com/images/mfr/43.jpg that is? the guide im using [Repair] Exhaust Manifold Replacement Guide says on step 12 to undo these bolts. I couldnt find them...
Unread 06-17-2010, 07:14 PM   #15
fire239
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Your 97 may not have that piece..
fire239 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.