Instrument Cluster problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Instrument Cluster problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-16-2003, 02:04 PM   #1
Freakshow

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Instrument Cluster problems

Don't I have the best luck; my wife can buy any vehicle she wants with no trouble, but anything I buy will have a plethora of problems. I just purchased my first Jeep , but now the instrument cluster is going crazy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I spoke with both the dealer I bought the Jeep from, as well as Chrystler, and they both said its a known issue that a $12 part might fix. MIGHT. If this patch doesn't take care of it, they said I'll need to replace the whole cluster.

Anyone else encounter this problem?

Freakshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2003, 02:33 PM   #2
CoryB

Yep. The fix can be found at http://www.jeepmadness.com/guages.htm
CoryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2003, 04:26 PM   #3
Freakshow

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks a bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB
Yep. The fix can be found at http://www.jeepmadness.com/guages.htm
Freakshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2003, 08:42 PM   #4
JTJ98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdorneman
Don't I have the best luck; my wife can buy any vehicle she wants with no trouble, but anything I buy will have a plethora of problems. I just purchased my first Jeep , but now the instrument cluster is going crazy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I spoke with both the dealer I bought the Jeep from, as well as Chrystler, and they both said its a known issue that a $12 part might fix. MIGHT. If this patch doesn't take care of it, they said I'll need to replace the whole cluster.

I had this EXACT problem with my 98 TJ. You should not have to replace your cluster. The part the dealer will give you is a new plug, go get it. Splice in the new wires and plug it in. The cluster will work if you did it right! I did this and have not had a problem with the cluster since. Bending the pins is just ridiculous in my opinion. Good luck!
JTJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2003, 08:40 PM   #5
Dr.Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdorneman

There was a call back on that problem.My 1999 Sahara did it.All I did was take the trim off from around the cluster and removed the cluster mount screws and unplug and plug the cluster back in a few times.Doing that cleans the harness connections.
Dr.Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2003, 02:36 PM   #6
blksahara

This exact same problem arose for me w/ my 99 Sahara about 6 months ago. Started out rare and gradually started happening about every time I drove the Jeep (all of this in about a 3 week period). I did the fix as stated above (http://www.jeepmadness.com/guages.htm) and have NOT! had a problem since

.....plus I did the fix AT WORK on my dinner break. lol. Took less than 20 minutes and needed nothing but a screwdriver and a pair of needle nose pliers!
blksahara is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.