Installing a soft top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Installing a soft top

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-15-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
snowboarder87
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Installing a soft top

Ive done some searching on how to install a soft top but Ive had no luck. Its getting warm out and its time for the hard top to go. However, this is my first time putting up the soft top and Im having a hard time installing all of the brackets for the top. Does anyone have any pictures or instructions on how to set up the brackets or "cage" for the soft top?

snowboarder87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

you will need door surrounds along with 4 knobs, should be self explanatory.

roll bar brackets with 2 mounting screws for each side. these mount underneath the padding, below and to the rear of the front seat belt mounts. there should be slits in the padding.

brackets for the tail gate bar. mounted to the left and right side tail gate on the tub.

do you have this stuff ??
Unread 03-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Check YouTube, someone converted the video version of the owner's manual
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
wadup45
2006 TJ Wrangler 

what soft top do you have, factory or aftermarket??
wadup45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
Redz72
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Figure out what type of top you have and either check the manual, or the manufacturer's website.
BLACK JEEP SOCIETY #218
Redz72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
snowboarder87
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Its the OEM soft top. When I bought the Jeep it came with a hard top and a soft top, both stock. Ive had the hard top on up until yesterday, and now that its getting warmer its time for the soft top.
Unread 03-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...45999719173612#
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
snowboarder87
1997 TJ Wrangler 

alright thanks, ive seen that video before but ill definitely have to check it out again
Unread 03-20-2011, 12:48 PM   #9
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboarder87 View Post
Its the OEM soft top. When I bought the Jeep it came with a hard top and a soft top, both stock. Ive had the hard top on up until yesterday, and now that its getting warmer its time for the soft top.
I hope you have a heated garage, because there's no way it's even close to warm enough (in WI) to install a soft top.....it'll shrink in the cold weather and make getting it on impossible.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
cruechief

Yeah need to get the material over 70 degrees before it will stretch enough to work with
cruechief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #11
R U STUCK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
I hope you have a heated garage, because there's no way it's even close to warm enough (in WI) to install a soft top.....it'll shrink in the cold weather and make getting it on impossible.
This is true. You will get frustrated and put the hard top back on. I put mine on in the first week of May. Because I can barely lock the soft top at night from it cooling down. I still have the VHS tape for top operation from when I bought this one new in '04.
Unread 03-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #12
snowboarder87
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for all the advice

i havent messed with the soft top yet, i have only taken the hard top off because it got up to 60 degrees recently. overall, i finally have a general idea of how the brackets are supposed to be set up, now i guess i have to wait for the warmer weather haha

Tags
brackets , hard , install , soft , top

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.