Installing PIAA 540 fog lights on a 2000 TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Installing PIAA 540 fog lights on a 2000 TJ

Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!JK Front Axle TrussARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 04-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
ludwing330
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Installing PIAA 540 fog lights on a 2000 TJ

2000 TJ New Fog Lights PIAA 540 series

Hello ALL!, this thread have been discussed many times; i have read many of them but it gets confusing for a begginer like me. So, i was planning to install my new PIAA 540 Plasma Ion Yellow Crystal fog lights kit (12V-H3 55 watt = 85 watt XTRA) and i found out that one of the non-use switch plugs have a harness connected behind it next to the switch for the rear defroster and rear wiper. I have noticed not harness underneath the fenders neither the front side. My questions are:

1.Can i get an fabric switch and use it instead of the one that came with the kit? There is a unused connector under the hood (next to windshield).
2. What does 12v-H3 55 watt = 85 watt XTRA mean? is it a 55w or 85w? worry about burning the lights...
Note. I couldn't upload the pics

ludwing330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
ludwing330
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i adjusted the pics size, here we go:
20130427_125257.jpg   20130427_125325.jpg   20130427_125419.jpg   20130427_125443.jpg   20130427_125449.jpg  

Unread 04-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
ludwing330
2000 TJ Wrangler 

How will i connect this PIAA kit wiring harness with what i have? Thanks . Please help me out!
20130427_183957.jpg  
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Why not use what's in the kit? That is what it's there for. I think you are making an easy project harder.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
ludwing330
2000 TJ Wrangler 

probably so but i did not know how to get the PIAA switch on the dash area as i was planning to use that same spot where i found that existing wire harness. I am a novice , big time; so yes it is hard for me.
any suggestions?
Unread 04-27-2013, 11:03 PM   #6
SirGCal

One of my PIAAs had that switch and I put it right on the pillar next to the windshield on the left side. Worked fine. Triggered it with the high beams also.

Still, the power for the lights come from the battery feed. If you want to use a different switch to actually turn it on, the easiest way is just to put it in line with the stock setup and hide the included switch in the dash somewhere. So you'd have one switch switching that switch. No big deal. Or just cut that switch out of the harness and bypass it. Either way it's fine electronically.

Wherever you pull power for the switch, it has to be able to handle about 1A load in worst case situations. Generally speaking most circuits will have this room unless you've put something else on them. Worst case is to take a relay and make a new 'keyed' hot wire for all your necessary switches.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
ludwing330
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal View Post
One of my PIAAs had that switch and I put it right on the pillar next to the windshield on the left side. Worked fine. Triggered it with the high beams also.

Still, the power for the lights come from the battery feed. If you want to use a different switch to actually turn it on, the easiest way is just to put it in line with the stock setup and hide the included switch in the dash somewhere. So you'd have one switch switching that switch. No big deal. Or just cut that switch out of the harness and bypass it. Either way it's fine electronically.

Wherever you pull power for the switch, it has to be able to handle about 1A load in worst case situations. Generally speaking most circuits will have this room unless you've put something else on them. Worst case is to take a relay and make a new 'keyed' hot wire for all your necessary switches.
Thank you, i will try to figure it out. Now, i am also planning to add a Gobi rack on my Jeep and install extra 4 lights on it. How can i do those lights installation?
Unread 04-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
SirGCal

The circuits are the same. One switch however can operate many relays if that's your goal.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
Unread 04-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
ludwing330
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal View Post
The circuits are the same. One switch however can operate many relays if that's your goal.
That would be nice, but how do you do it? I really have no idea, i guess i can understand the circuits somehow (i should since i graduated in BS of Civil Engineer); but electronics where not my strength neither magnetism, hahaha. i can figure simple circuits out but i have to remember.it has been tooo long like 25 years ago or more

That is what i would like to see my jeep look like:

http://www.gobijeep.com/TJ.htm
Unread 04-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #10
SirGCal

There are some very simple circuit diagrams that cover the parts in one form or another. The bottom picture has an example of one switch controlling multiple relays.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/w...ations-378268/

But again, depending on the setup, you might be able to do it with one relay... Everything is independent. However, PIAA makes some really nice circuits (unlike some other mfgs). While I can very easily make my own custom circuits and have everything in the garage to do so including fuses, spools of wire, boxes of 40A, 12V relays, etc. If I had a set of PIAAs, I'd most likely just use their included hardware. It goes with the KISS principal. Keep it simple stupid. (or stupid simple). I might cut off the switch to put in my own or tie two relays to one switch but other then that it's a stout setup. And honestly even the switch is pretty nice.

Quote:
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #11
ludwing330
2000 TJ Wrangler 

10-4 ! Thank you for your time....
Have a great week!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.