Installing new front brake pads on 05 TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Installing new front brake pads on 05 TJ

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-14-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
gmcd
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Installing new front brake pads on 05 TJ

I searched for a write up on replacing my front pads and couldnt find one. Then again, maybe I'm an idiot and didnt search very well.

Anyway, what tools do I need to change my pads? I've done breaks before, but am wondering what size wrenches / sockets I'll need. My tools were stolen a while back and I'm just now buying things as I need them.

Also, (the Jeep as 44k on it) would it be worth cutting the rotors, or replacing them? If so, what brand should I replace them with?

I have a little bit of chatter now when I apply the brakes, but the pads are low.

Thanks!

gmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to JF!http://www.stu-offroad.com/suspensio...ntbrakes-1.htm
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
MiSSiNGAFeW
2004 TJ Wrangler 

lug wrench, 9/16 socket or wrench, and a jack. I think thats all i needed when i did mine before I moved. Very easy, nothing to it. Pull the tire off, loosen the caliper, pull the caliper off, pop both pads out, put grease on back side of new pads(optional), put new pads on, put caliper back on, put wheel back, test drive. You can look at your rotors during this process, I replace rotors and brakes at the same time though. You don't have to if you feel they aren't that bad, or you can just have them turned if it's slight.
Unread 07-14-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
gmcd
2005 TJ Wrangler 

awesome. thanks
gmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2009, 05:38 PM   #5
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The caliper bolts should only be torqued to 11 ft. lbs.
Don't overtighten them.

A c-clamp to push the pistons back in is good.
Jim

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.