Installing my Rough Country lift tomorrow, any tricks or tips while installing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Installing my Rough Country lift tomorrow, any tricks or tips while installing?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDThe NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.com

Unread 03-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
Schroed
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Installing my Rough Country lift tomorrow, any tricks or tips while installing?

My 2.5" Suspension, 1.25" BL, and 1" MM lift come in tomorrow so I'll be installing them in the evening. I found a pretty good step by step write up on youtube for the body and motor mount: YouTube - RokmenTV's Channel
I haven't found anything for the suspension yet. I've been soaking all of the bolts down in PB Blaster all week, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh and I'll post pics as soon as I get the tires mounted on Friday.

Schroed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

I did a RC lift on a JK. With that, the RC directions were not very well-written. Most missing items were common sense, but just pay attention. Some steps will forget to tell you to remove a bolt, or move a certain component out of the way.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
XJisTHErightWAY
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Did this with my friend last weekend. Be sure to do the 4x4 shifter drop bracket BEFORE the t-case drop. We kind of did things out of order because the PO had welded the skid and snapped the bolts in the frame which seemed like the bigger issue at the time. Also you will need to move your center console back about .25" if you have trouble getting into 2nd or 4th. Good luck!
Unread 03-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Don't use the t case drop supplied with the kit.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #5
Schroed
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've heard to skip the T case drop since I'm doing the motor mount kit. I haven't heard much about adjusting the center console any, I assume this problem persist when installing the T case drop. Any idea on install time for both, or special tools i'll need. I'm getting my buddy to bring by his jack, and I have plenty of sockets, wrenches and torx bits. I heard I might need to borrow a grinder, but i'm not sure where i'll need to use it.
Unread 03-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
daredevil5269
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would make sure you set aside at least 5 hours to do the full job, if you run into problems it may take longer. I have this exact same setup and I didn't lower the transfer case and it runs great. Try to make sure you have spring compressor available it will save alot of time and frustration. The transfer case linkage bracket supplied sometimes doesn't fit and it requires you to bend things out of the way for it to fit. If you are one of the lucky ones you won't need to but I advise getting an advanced adapter bracket to do it right.
daredevil5269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
Schroed
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I figured it would take around 5 or 6 hours. This may sound like a dumb question, but what is an advanced adapter bracket? I googled it and didn't have much luck. I've done plenty of suspension systems on cars and even a YJ, but this is my first TJ lift. I'm sure it can't be much more difficult than doing coilovers on a 350z with independent suspension.
Unread 03-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
daredevil5269
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Stand alone TJ & Cherokee Shifter Bracket | Engine & Transmission Conversion Adapters - Advance Adapters
daredevil5269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
RPDjeep

2014 JK Wrangler 

I've installed the space lift in both a Jk and a TJ. I had to use a spring compressor on the TJ. In my opinion the kit was easier to install on the JK.

Previous:
'06 White TJ Sport, '05 KJ Liberty, '91 XJ
1*
RPDjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 07:14 AM   #10
41MB-97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i did a 2" suspension and 1.25 body lift . took two days for the suspension kit... so many problems... use an external spring compressor.. and hope tht the shock bolts do not break or twist off. had that issue.. posted a thread and found a good way to fix tht. chekc it out if you run in to that. hope you dont... the rear suspension is easier thant he front. the body lift of course is cake. did the transfer drop. i do have so issue getting into 2nd from time to time. front shocks were difficult to get th top nut off. so i used a skill saw and cut the whole thing out. not using the old shocks for anythingelse. thats my $0.02 . hope you have a good lift with no problems.
Unread 03-04-2010, 07:15 AM   #11
41MB-97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

btw: the suspension lift instructions. just look em over. if u find a video with mroe detail great. ur better with the video !!!!! the body lift instructions were rather accurate. but gain like one guy sid. somethings are just common sense.
Unread 03-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #12
Schroed
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well it doesn't look like I'll be installing my lift today since my tires didn't come in. I'm a little upset that no one from Rough Country notified me that they were on backorder, and the sad thing is that I ordered over the phone and he said everything was in stock.
Unread 03-04-2010, 02:24 PM   #13
ocTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

it happens but you'd want to start the lift before the tires are in anyways...you need the lift on to take the jeep down to have the tires mounted am I right?

2002 Apex Jeep TJ Lifted, Locked, geared and ready for more
ocTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 02:31 PM   #14
Schroed
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, but I was expecting to do it this weekend. Now I have to wait till they deposit the money back in to my account so I can pick some up local. Apparently almost everyone is out of Baja claws for the next three weeks, but I found a set at a local offroad shop. I might still put the lift on this weekend and drive around with the 31"s for three or four days.
Unread 03-04-2010, 02:31 PM   #15
blkbetty02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroed View Post
I've heard to skip the T case drop since I'm doing the motor mount kit. I haven't heard much about adjusting the center console any, I assume this problem persist when installing the T case drop. Any idea on install time for both, or special tools i'll need. I'm getting my buddy to bring by his jack, and I have plenty of sockets, wrenches and torx bits. I heard I might need to borrow a grinder, but i'm not sure where i'll need to use it.
I just installed the exact same lift kit on my 02 TJ. You do not want to use the t-case drop kit. The MML will take care of any vibes. At most you may have to throw a couple of washers between your skid plate and frame. Test drive it though before you do anything like that.

You have everything you need. No need to reloacate any shifters. I do suggest going down to your local auto shop and renting some spring compressors for the front spring install. The external type. You can usually just leave a deposit and pick up your cash when you return them. Good luck.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.