installing my first lift...advice ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > installing my first lift...advice ??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 01-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
hooks
2005 TJ Wrangler 

installing my first lift...advice ??

Received my zone 4.25 combo kit.weather and help not on the same page as I apparent must install this now (even if its dark,raining,cold,alone and don't know wth I'm doin) attitude. For a man in this situation wld y'all say go at the bl and mml first then the sl? Read a couple threads that these thing went well for some and thought if ima try anything solo I wanna try the easy first. So I'll b waiting on a voice of reason ,till then maybe I'll give it another pb blaster bath

hooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Do the SL first. It'll give you more room to do the BL.

Plus you'll be much more confident and will be able to knock out the BL in about an hour like I did.

Also, spray your bolts with PB Blaster or the like beforehand.
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
inthefeildjr

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would do the suspension first as well, then the BL. I would try to get a second set of hands for the motor mount lift and I would do it last.
Good luck and PB blaster is your friend.
inthefeildjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #4
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I did mine the other way. BL then SL. It gave me more room to repair the broken upper rear shock bolts.

X2 on spraying everything down though. Start at least a week in advance if possible.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 11:46 PM   #5
Cavasar
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just did the Zone 4.25" a few days before Christmas. Did BL then MML and then SL. I didn't spray w/ PB in advance and didnt have any issues (only owner and no rust). I think the BL added some nice room for the upper shock mounts.
Unread 01-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
hooks
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks yall for ur advice. Did y'all find any helpful videos
Unread 01-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooks View Post
...must install this now (even if its dark,raining,cold,alone and don't know wth I'm doin) attitude...
Why? With the weather we're having around here, I wouldn't be doing anything like this unless I could do it in a garage. I wouldn't be doing any work on a vehicle outside unless it was required in order to get it running NOW. The lower your comfort level, the more likely you are to hurt yourself, damage parts, incorrectly install parts, ...

Unless my current suspension was completely shot and I had absolutely no other transportation, I'd be waiting for better weather if I had to do this outside.

I do have not very fond memories working on a '69 VW in the parking lot at -30 degrees because I had to have it to get to work the next morning. Ever seen what those temperatures do to an air cooled engine? Ain't pretty.
Unread 01-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #8
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooks View Post
Thanks yall for ur advice. Did y'all find any helpful videos
there are a couple of great videos on youtube for doing the motor mount lift, and body lift....here they are:

YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
Unread 01-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
hooks
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
Why? With the weather we're having around here, I wouldn't be doing anything like this unless I could do it in a garage. I wouldn't be doing any work on a vehicle outside unless it was required in order to get it running NOW. The lower your comfort level, the more likely you are to hurt yourself, damage parts, incorrectly install parts, ...

Unless my current suspension was completely shot and I had absolutely no other transportation, I'd be waiting for better weather if I had to do this outside.

I do have not very fond memories working on a '69 VW in the parking lot at -30 degrees because I had to have it to get to work the next morning. Ever seen what those temperatures do to an air cooled engine? Ain't pretty.
I hear ya, does seem silly when u use logic but just not my style. Was slightly joking but I get something on my brain I won't stop until its done .its like a kid at Christmas screw the meal can't we just open the presents. Luckly in middle TN the weather is about as predictable as hoping that fart will b silent . Ya just never know . Today is in the 60's,

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.