installing load leveling air bags on lifted LJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > installing load leveling air bags on lifted LJ

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955RCV Axles at CCOR15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 01-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
ssuper_nova_71
2005 LJ Wrangler 

installing load leveling air bags on lifted LJ

just wondering if I can install AirLift load leveling airbags on a lifted wrangler.
the instructions tell you to take out the bump stops. will the bags be big enough to compensate for the extra 4 inches of lift? anyone know?

ssuper_nova_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
dreed
2004 LJ Wrangler 

http://www.4x4xplor.com/airlift.html

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/un...ml#post9320554
dreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
fordtech
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuper_nova_71 View Post
just wondering if I can install AirLift load leveling airbags on a lifted wrangler.
the instructions tell you to take out the bump stops. will the bags be big enough to compensate for the extra 4 inches of lift? anyone know?
Take the bumpstop out? The bag should just be making contact with the upper and lower surfaces at ride height I believe. So basically, with 4" lift you will need to compensate for that height change by either getting a 4" taller bag, or putting a 4" spacer in there. I don't think you want a gap between the bag and the upper surface it contacts...

Some details- here: http://www.4x4xplor.com/airlift.html and here, Unlimited04 can probably help: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/un...ml#post9320554

If you don't use those bags, let me know, this mod is on my list....maybe we could work out a deal!!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/yjjeepinmike
Just your friendly neighborhood x-ford technician...
fordtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuper_nova_71 View Post
yes, you can run AirLift bags with a lifted wrangler. As the folks above described, I'm doing it right now. You do not remove the bumpstops.

Step 1: properly set your bumpstop length so the shocks aren't bottoming out, the tires aren't rubbing steel & the bumpstop cup is centered over the pad...just like you normally would for any lifted suspension. Write-up here, and here.
Step 2: at ride height, measure the distance from the bumpstop cup to the spring pad, and the diameter of the coil.
Step 3: Call up AirLift with those measurements. Ask what bag they have that will fit those dimensions. Write down the PN.
Step 4: Call up an AirLift vendor and buy the PN you learned in Step 3.
Step 5: Take a trip to the junkyard and buy two ZJ front jounce bumpers. Write-up here.
Step 6: Install the bags as shown in the 4x4xplor write up.
Step 7: Hack the jounce bumper down as I show in my build thread, and install it in place of your original. You can modify your original if you don't want to take the trip to the junkyard, but I kept my original in case I want to remove the bags at some point. Write up here.
Step 8: plumb the bags and pump them up as described in the 4x4xplor write up.

See the links the guys posted above for all the info you need

Note: if your jounce bumpers are damaged/missing/rotted you can get replacements from Crown Automotive (PN 52087636AC).
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
ssuper_nova_71
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
yes, you can run AirLift bags with a lifted wrangler. As the folks above described, I'm doing it right now. You do not remove the bumpstops.

Step 1: properly set your bumpstop length so the shocks aren't bottoming out, the tires aren't rubbing steel & the bumpstop cup is centered over the pad...just like you normally would for any lifted suspension.
Step 2: at ride height, measure the distance from the bumpstop cup to the spring pad, and the diameter of the coil.
Step 3: Call up AirLift with those measurements. Ask what bag they have that will fit those dimensions. Write down the PN.
Step 4: Call up an AirLift vendor and buy the PN you learned in Step 3.
Step 5: Take a trip to the junkyard and buy two ZJ front jounce bumpers.
Step 6: Install the bags as shown in the 4x4xplor write up.
Step 7: Hack the jounce bumper down as I show in my build thread, and install it in place of your original. You can modify your original if you don't want to take the trip to the junkyard, but I kept my original in case I want to remove the bags at some point.
Step 8: plumb the bags and pump them up as described in the 4x4xplor write up.

See the links the guys posted above for all the info you need

this is what i wanted to see thanks guys!!!
ssuper_nova_71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.