installing load leveling air bags on lifted LJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > installing load leveling air bags on lifted LJ

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 01-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
ssuper_nova_71
2005 LJ Wrangler 

installing load leveling air bags on lifted LJ

just wondering if I can install AirLift load leveling airbags on a lifted wrangler.
the instructions tell you to take out the bump stops. will the bags be big enough to compensate for the extra 4 inches of lift? anyone know?

ssuper_nova_71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
dreed
2004 LJ Wrangler 

http://www.4x4xplor.com/airlift.html

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/un...ml#post9320554
dreed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
fordtech
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuper_nova_71 View Post
just wondering if I can install AirLift load leveling airbags on a lifted wrangler.
the instructions tell you to take out the bump stops. will the bags be big enough to compensate for the extra 4 inches of lift? anyone know?
Take the bumpstop out? The bag should just be making contact with the upper and lower surfaces at ride height I believe. So basically, with 4" lift you will need to compensate for that height change by either getting a 4" taller bag, or putting a 4" spacer in there. I don't think you want a gap between the bag and the upper surface it contacts...

Some details- here: http://www.4x4xplor.com/airlift.html and here, Unlimited04 can probably help: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/un...ml#post9320554

If you don't use those bags, let me know, this mod is on my list....maybe we could work out a deal!!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/yjjeepinmike
Just your friendly neighborhood x-ford technician...
fordtech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuper_nova_71 View Post
yes, you can run AirLift bags with a lifted wrangler. As the folks above described, I'm doing it right now. You do not remove the bumpstops.

Step 1: properly set your bumpstop length so the shocks aren't bottoming out, the tires aren't rubbing steel & the bumpstop cup is centered over the pad...just like you normally would for any lifted suspension. Write-up here, and here.
Step 2: at ride height, measure the distance from the bumpstop cup to the spring pad, and the diameter of the coil.
Step 3: Call up AirLift with those measurements. Ask what bag they have that will fit those dimensions. Write down the PN.
Step 4: Call up an AirLift vendor and buy the PN you learned in Step 3.
Step 5: Take a trip to the junkyard and buy two ZJ front jounce bumpers. Write-up here.
Step 6: Install the bags as shown in the 4x4xplor write up.
Step 7: Hack the jounce bumper down as I show in my build thread, and install it in place of your original. You can modify your original if you don't want to take the trip to the junkyard, but I kept my original in case I want to remove the bags at some point. Write up here.
Step 8: plumb the bags and pump them up as described in the 4x4xplor write up.

See the links the guys posted above for all the info you need

Note: if your jounce bumpers are damaged/missing/rotted you can get replacements from Crown Automotive (PN 52087636AC).
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
ssuper_nova_71
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
yes, you can run AirLift bags with a lifted wrangler. As the folks above described, I'm doing it right now. You do not remove the bumpstops.

Step 1: properly set your bumpstop length so the shocks aren't bottoming out, the tires aren't rubbing steel & the bumpstop cup is centered over the pad...just like you normally would for any lifted suspension.
Step 2: at ride height, measure the distance from the bumpstop cup to the spring pad, and the diameter of the coil.
Step 3: Call up AirLift with those measurements. Ask what bag they have that will fit those dimensions. Write down the PN.
Step 4: Call up an AirLift vendor and buy the PN you learned in Step 3.
Step 5: Take a trip to the junkyard and buy two ZJ front jounce bumpers.
Step 6: Install the bags as shown in the 4x4xplor write up.
Step 7: Hack the jounce bumper down as I show in my build thread, and install it in place of your original. You can modify your original if you don't want to take the trip to the junkyard, but I kept my original in case I want to remove the bags at some point.
Step 8: plumb the bags and pump them up as described in the 4x4xplor write up.

See the links the guys posted above for all the info you need

this is what i wanted to see thanks guys!!!
ssuper_nova_71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.