Installing heated seat pads, need wire help... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Installing heated seat pads, need wire help...

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 11-23-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
mikeyours
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Installing heated seat pads, need wire help...

Hey guys and gals, I will be installing my heated pads for my TJ tomorrow and I need some wiring help. Not sure where the aux fuse is and what to use to power these up. I read a couple of old threads about these but couldnt really understand the wiring and couldnt find pics on it. Any help would be great thanks.

mikeyours is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

with the amount of current that this things probably pull, i would think your best option would be to have a relay at your under hood box right of the terminal from the battery through a circuit breaker. then run a direct large gauge (12-14) to the seats. you can energize the relay with a smalled switched ( by ignition and off/on) gauge wire.

you made need a seperate circuit for each seat.
Unread 11-23-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
mikeyours
2006 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/pecafidutewa.html

This is the kit that I ordered. It says that each one can be ran off a 12v power sorce.
Unread 11-23-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Mine just plugs into the cig lighter and it vibrates! Do these install under the seat fabric? Why, just get some that sit on top of the seat! Far easier install and you can remove whenever?
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 07:55 PM   #5
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

12volt was assumed but the current draw was in question. looking at specs, each seat draws 5amp on high. i would still run 2 seperate circuits (10amp each). you can do this from the fuse box behind the glove box.

get 2 "bussman add-a-circuit"s from the auto parts store, about $6 each. also get some 10amp fuses.

see link below

http://www.bussmann.com/images/3c2dc...86ccd13aad.JPG

these will enable you to have 2 new circuits. one for each seat. then follow the install instructions for the seat heaters

edit: if there is only one switch for both seats, then just one circuit would be needed. that way i guess both seats are on even if only one person is present.
Unread 11-23-2008, 07:59 PM   #6
mikeyours
2006 TJ Wrangler 

2jhanna, awesome just the answer I was looking for. What am I looking for exactly behind the fuse box?

And yes they do go under the seat, I just like the look of a cleaner install and if I got the pad it would just be one more thing inside.
Unread 11-23-2008, 08:26 PM   #7
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

if you just need 1 fuse space/circuit (meaning both seat heaters are controled by one switch). buy 1 of the add-a-circuits (autozone has them in my area). in the fuse box behind the glove box, unplug the fuse for your cigarette lighter (it is # 19 in my `02, check your manual). plug that fuse into your new add-a-circuit, the position NOT next to the red wire. plug a new 10 amp fuse in the position next to the red wire. now plug the add-a-circuit in slot #19 (where you removed the fuse from). MAKE SURE THE RED WIRE IS POINTING TOWARD THE STEERING WHELL SIDE.

if you have a 12v test light, you can check the inside blue terminal at this point, should be on when ignition is on.

the red wire is where you will crimp your seat power red 12v wire. the ground wire you can hook up to a good ground somewhere.

where do you plan to mount the switch ??
Unread 11-23-2008, 08:54 PM   #8
mikeyours
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It does have two switches for each seat, but I think people hook them up together and say its fine that way.

I think im going to put them on my dash, where normally the passenger airbag turn off is. I have an X so I dont have that on my dash just blank. or somewhere in the center
Unread 11-23-2008, 09:37 PM   #9
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

or mount your switches on the center console, maybe somewhere below the armrest, maybe above where the parking brake handle slot is.

run the wires from the fuse box down the middle, under the console, mount the switches next to the brake handle, then run the wires under each seat.

just a thought,
Unread 11-24-2008, 01:23 AM   #10
jeep2008
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyours View Post
Hey guys and gals, I will be installing my heated pads for my TJ tomorrow and I need some wiring help. Not sure where the aux fuse is and what to use to power these up. I read a couple of old threads about these but couldnt really understand the wiring and couldnt find pics on it. Any help would be great thanks.
i've ordered these also!!!pretty please take photos and do make a write up if you can,beginning from the upholstery of the seats, the wiring etc!!

No Jeep right now
04TJ (SOLD)
01TJ (SOLD)
jeep2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2008, 02:03 AM   #11
jeep2008
2004 TJ Wrangler 

check also these two writeups ,they may come in handy until you write yours :http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=104177 http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?t=39723

No Jeep right now
04TJ (SOLD)
01TJ (SOLD)
Unread 11-24-2008, 05:24 AM   #12
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a write up for TJ seats...

http://ewylie.com/jeep/seatheat.htm

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2008, 02:45 PM   #13
jeep2008
2004 TJ Wrangler 

^^^^^^
great writeup !here are a couple of pics i found from another tj that has them

No Jeep right now
04TJ (SOLD)
01TJ (SOLD)
Unread 11-24-2008, 06:46 PM   #14
XXRider
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyours View Post
It does have two switches for each seat, but I think people hook them up together and say its fine that way.

I think im going to put them on my dash, where normally the passenger airbag turn off is. I have an X so I dont have that on my dash just blank. or somewhere in the center
I wouldn't run that much power throw those little switches. 5amp isn't too bad but 10 is getting questionable. Besides why draw a extra 5 amps when someone isn't using that seat.
XXRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2008, 07:06 PM   #15
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

here's mine.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-seat-heaters-502026/

My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.