Installing Detroit locker in Dana 35 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Installing Detroit locker in Dana 35

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 12-01-2009, 01:01 AM   #1
herculz
2010 JK Wrangler 

Installing Detroit locker in Dana 35

Question, before i get hammered on doing this, is the process to install a detroit locker in a d35 for tj difficult or is it as simple as installing an aussie locker. i have a chance to get a locker with shafts (incase i break one) for about the same price i paid for my aussie locker.

herculz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2009, 01:04 AM   #2
bmxrules39
1997 TJ Wrangler 

first- don't do it
second- it's about 400 times harder than an aussie. You will have to re-gear, which takes many special tools and about 8hrs.
Unread 12-01-2009, 01:19 AM   #3
herculz
2010 JK Wrangler 

damn i guess i will stick to plan A on the arb for my front in the mean time.
Unread 12-01-2009, 03:01 AM   #4
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

or you can take the deal and sell it for a slight profit to help pay for something else...
WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.
Jeepster83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2009, 05:35 AM   #5
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

is the Detroit 27 or 30 spline?
Unread 12-01-2009, 07:37 AM   #6
champelite210
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think it would be hard. All you need to do is take out your open diff. Take your open diff and detroit to a local shop with a press. Take the bearings and shim packs off the open diff and put them on the detroit and throw it back in. If I had to choose over a detroit or aussie in the rear I'd definately want the detroit.
1998 TJ, 4.0 HO, 5 speed, 3.5" RE Super Flex Adj SA lift, AA SYE, Currie steering, 4.88 Gears, 8.8 Rear with Eaton E-Locker, HP Dana 30 with Detroit locker and chromoly shafts, 36x12.5x15 TSL-SX, TNT Customs front 3.5 fenders, XRC rear crusher corners with 3.5 flare, A to Z rock sliders, PSC steering pump PSC steering Bx, XRC 8000 winch.
champelite210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
herculz
2010 JK Wrangler 

27 spline, its used, but i think i will do it right and wait to save for my arb up front and then look for an 8.8 axle from a explorer right? what year should it be and how can i tell since i've never owned an exploder?
Unread 12-01-2009, 10:37 AM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, don't install a locker into a stock Dana 35c axle, it's not strong enough for that.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #9
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculz View Post
damn i guess i will stick to plan A on the arb for my front in the mean time.
I believe with ARBs you will need different carriers for different gears. I would handle you axles and gearing before the locker. If you have stock gears the will probably be 3.73 or less. If you get an ARB now and want to regear latter the ARB you get now may be useless for you later. At least check into this before you start spending $$.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #10
lostsheep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't think it would be hard. All you need to do is take out your open diff. Take your open diff and detroit to a local shop with a press. Take the bearings and shim packs off the open diff and put them on the detroit and throw it back in. If I had to choose over a detroit or aussie in the rear I'd definately want the detroit.
Granted I am no expert, but I doubt two different carriers would require the same shimming. Isn't that why there are shims, because no two are the same and you are stacking tolerances?
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #11
Stop being a
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsheep View Post
Granted I am no expert, but I doubt two different carriers would require the same shimming. Isn't that why there are shims, because no two are the same and you are stacking tolerances?
You are correct.

There may be two out there that are idedenical, but what are the odds you happen to have them.
Stop being a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #12
champelite210
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Believe it or not. I've done it about 4 times now. If all your doing is moving the ring gear from one carrier to the other you can use the old shim pack and be almost perfect. Don't get me wrong you should check backlash to be sure. I've never had to change one yet. I've switched my front from open to detroit tru trac and now to detroit locker all using the same shim packs. And the rear went from open to e locker using the same shims.
The reason for shims is because of different gear thicknesses and differences in housings. Most carriers are really close to the same specs.
1998 TJ, 4.0 HO, 5 speed, 3.5" RE Super Flex Adj SA lift, AA SYE, Currie steering, 4.88 Gears, 8.8 Rear with Eaton E-Locker, HP Dana 30 with Detroit locker and chromoly shafts, 36x12.5x15 TSL-SX, TNT Customs front 3.5 fenders, XRC rear crusher corners with 3.5 flare, A to Z rock sliders, PSC steering pump PSC steering Bx, XRC 8000 winch.
champelite210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2009, 08:42 PM   #13
chutta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Wouldn't it be easier carrying and replacing shafts(stronger carrier with the det) than dealing with spiders and cracked carriers?
05x 4.0 6sp 30/35, aussie front, 3.73's, r/c 4"x lift, adv adptr sye, shifter bracket, tw cv ds, 33 t/c skid, 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers on steelies, psc sport cage/rockers, warn fr bump/steer and 30 diff skid, sirius,cb, hand throttle 1"bl/mml 265/16's pepboys at's on orig moabs for street. Lowrance H20c for gps
chutta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.