Installing control arms for first time, good write ups? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 10-15-2009, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
$lick
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Installing control arms for first time, good write ups?

I am going to have my little brother with me (who drives the jeep more than I do) help install these fixed lower control arms that I recently purchased. I am looking for a good write up so he can visualize what needs to happen and use it as a good reference, I know there is not much to it, but a nice write up that maybe stu or 4x4xplor has would be great, at work and those sites are firewalled.

Thanks a ton guys.

1997 Wrangler 2.5L 5spd

Suspension specs:
RE 3.5, 1.25 JKS BL
Old Man Emu shocks
Teraflex adjustable front trac bar
JKS Disco's
Axle specs:
Dana 30- Superior 4.88's
Detriot tru-trac locker
Dana 35- Superior 4.88's
Riding on:
33x12.50 BFG A/T
Black Cragar soft 8's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-15-2009, 01:58 PM
TheBoogieman
Devil's Advocate

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just removed two bolts each and replaced two bolts each then torqued them down and was done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Why also would he need a rare as hen's teeth Dana 44 out of another TJ which will eventually lead to him swapping in a POS 8.8 because he can't find one?
post #3 of 15 Old 10-15-2009, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
$lick
1997 TJ Wrangler 

torque specs?

1997 Wrangler 2.5L 5spd

Suspension specs:
RE 3.5, 1.25 JKS BL
Old Man Emu shocks
Teraflex adjustable front trac bar
JKS Disco's
Axle specs:
Dana 30- Superior 4.88's
Detriot tru-trac locker
Dana 35- Superior 4.88's
Riding on:
33x12.50 BFG A/T
Black Cragar soft 8's

post #4 of 15 Old 10-15-2009, 02:16 PM
jdhallissey
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Good and tight. I think they are suppose to be 90 ftlbs. Do one side at a time. You don't even have to jack it up if it is lifted.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-15-2009, 02:17 PM
IOUnlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Its a full lift install but you can just refer to the control arm portion.

Round #2 - Main Page
post #6 of 15 Old 10-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

just remove & install them one at a time. adjust to length needed if they're adjustable. i didn't even jack my jeep off the ground when unbolting the control arms individually.

Useful Write-Ups:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #7 of 15 Old 10-15-2009, 05:21 PM
jeepy01
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i think that torque specs are 130 at the frame and 80 at the axle i wud double check those numbers tho
post #8 of 15 Old 10-15-2009, 05:50 PM
UnsanePyro
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you are having a little bit of a problem getting them to line back up, try a jack under the axle, it helped line mine back up
post #9 of 15 Old 10-15-2009, 06:56 PM
jeepy01
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsanePyro View Post
If you are having a little bit of a problem getting them to line back up, try a jack under the axle, it helped line mine back up
i had this problem, put a jack right under the pinion so it tilts the axle.
post #10 of 15 Old 10-15-2009, 07:30 PM
Cjensenr
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I believe they are more likely to be approx. 45 -75 ft/lb. I can't recollect right at the moment....CRS!

C.
post #11 of 15 Old 10-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Roye77
2011 JK Wrangler 

Not sure what kinda ends your control arms have poly, rubber or JJ but its a good idea to have it sitting on the ground before you completly torque the bolts or your going to rip your bushings.

"All men are created equal, then a few become firemen." ~Author Unknown
"Volunteer firemen do it for free!" ~Author Unknown
post #12 of 15 Old 10-16-2009, 12:38 AM
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Torque specs below for you.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...-specs-474605/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Your shaft isn't long enough to handle that kind of droop...
2003 TJ Rubicon:

2017 JKU Rubicon:
post #13 of 15 Old 09-17-2012, 12:05 PM
jstman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Realizing this thread is old, and it's probably a simple job, I have a few questions:

This sounds like I can swap the control arms with the vehicle sitting on level ground, tires on, etc. Is that correct?

Are there any precautions I need to make before removing the control arms? (One at a time and replacing it before doing the opposite side)

Any concerns about the axle rotating, thereby causing the body to drop and pin me under the Jeep?

I realize this is probably a simple job, and it looks simple. I put the lift on myself, so I'm not an idiot,but want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Thanks in advance.
post #14 of 15 Old 09-17-2012, 12:11 PM
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstman View Post
This sounds like I can swap the control arms with the vehicle sitting on level ground, tires on, etc. Is that correct?
Correct but removing the tire makes it much easier to get in/around.

Quote:
Are there any precautions I need to make before removing the control arms? (One at a time and replacing it before doing the opposite side)
Just make sure the arms you're putting in match in length, side to side. The pinion may rotate a bit so before removing any arms just take a jack and put some slight pressure on the housing directly underneath the pinion to prevent it from rotating.

Quote:
Any concerns about the axle rotating, thereby causing the body to drop and pin me under the Jeep?
The body won't drop on you as long as you have springs installed. Just be smart and don't put yourself under the lowest point of the axle just in case, weird stuff happens.

Call me Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbates View Post
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
post #15 of 15 Old 09-17-2012, 12:24 PM
jstman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Zombi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.