Installing Bushwacker Fender Flares? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Installing Bushwacker Fender Flares?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-16-2005, 06:25 PM   #1
coolguycarlos

Installing Bushwacker Fender Flares?

Has anybody installed bushwacker fender flares? I'm getting mine on Monday. So I decided to go ahead and and remove the flares this weekend so come monday I can just go ahead and install them after work. Now I heard this before but now I see it from experience but the stock flares are b!tch to remove. I've spent one hour and I've only been able to remove one screw. Does anybody have a better approach at this? I know that behind the actual body there is some retainer or bolt holding on to the screw but the only way to get to it is to remove the rubber insulation or whatever it is that is located directly above the tire but I am afraid that if I take it off I might not be able to put it back on. Any idea will be appreciated?

[B][COLOR=Red]Red Jeep Club Member #76[/COLOR][/B]
[URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82882][B][COLOR=Green][SIZE=2]Green Jeep Club Number Giver Out Dude[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/URL]
01 TJ Sport Flame Red, 33" ProComp M/T, Alloy Look alike Baja Rims, 4" ProComp lift, 4.56 Gear Ratio, Banks Exhaust and Header system, K&N FIPK, Airaid Throttle Body Spacer, and lost of SS accesories :-)
[URL=http://www.console.iscentral.net][COLOR=LightBlue]Hack Ur PS2[/COLOR][/URL]
coolguycarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2005, 06:53 PM   #2
XTC Jpr13
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i was just tightening my aftermarket flares upt oday and that plastic piece goes back on easy, just pop it off and get something to hold the back of the nutserts. when ya putthe bushwackers on i reccomend using nuts and bolts rather than nutserts, they can go on tighter and are more reliable IMO
XTC Jpr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2005, 07:12 PM   #3
Deezul
2004 TJ Wrangler 

welcome to the nightmare of "nutserts". I did my BW flares after much swaering in a few hours off and on. You need to get behind them especially the back flares. Drop the inner fender liners back there with a screwdriver, they are held on with christmas tree fasteners.
2004 Khaki Rubicon. Jeeperman Custom Brushguard and 54" bumper, Kilby steering skid, Skidrow radiator skid, SRC Rockcrawler rocker guards, UFW Al Engine Skid, OME Shocks, JKS Quicker Discos, AEM Dryflo intake;KC Slimlight 130W Long range lights, ORO LiteDots and LitePlate, Banks Stainless Monster cat-back, Eclipse stereo, BA Speakers, Jeeperman Handles, Cobra CB, interior leds... more to come.

**R.I.P NOW TOTALED** 98TJ Sport, 30x9.5 BFG ATKO's on AR Outlaw II's, K&N FIPK, Borla Catback,
Green jeep club member #139
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2005, 10:32 PM   #4
McRoberts
2011 JK Wrangler 

It took me about 4 hours to install my Bushwacker flares. Yeah, there was a lot of swearing involved. As soon as you get one done, the rest arent quite as bad. I did one side first (took me three of the four hours) and the other side was a breeze after I knew what I was in for. Hope this helps a little.
Unread 07-17-2005, 12:55 AM   #5
coolguycarlos

Actually shortly after posting this I was able to take them all off with the help of my pops with in the hour. My pops a got home and he asked me what I was doing and I told them that the flares where a b!tch to take off. He gave it try with no luck but then he suggested to unscrew while pulling on the flare and BAM!!!!!!! they just came out like nothing. Just something you guys can try that are going to replaces the flares. All I did is pull on the actual flare towards me while I was ratcheting out the nut. Now all I have to do is wait for the flares.

I got the bushwacker Cut Out Fender Flares 6'. I got them for 400$ in 4WP. The guy there hooked me up with like a 50$ discount.
[URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82882][B][COLOR=Green][SIZE=2]Green Jeep Club Number Giver Out Dude[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/URL]
01 TJ Sport Flame Red, 33" ProComp M/T, Alloy Look alike Baja Rims, 4" ProComp lift, 4.56 Gear Ratio, Banks Exhaust and Header system, K&N FIPK, Airaid Throttle Body Spacer, and lost of SS accesories :-)
[URL=http://www.console.iscentral.net][COLOR=LightBlue]Hack Ur PS2[/COLOR][/URL]
Unread 07-17-2005, 02:02 AM   #6
kappaknight
2013 JK Wrangler 

If it's not too late, could you post the before and after shots? I'm thinking about getting the same things but not sure if they'll look funky.
()_)()_)==)_)
kappaknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2005, 06:20 PM   #7
Jim Shanks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If you do wheel, you will more than likely break them. Albeit they do look sweet, but they are brittle as crap. Mine broke the first time out.

$.02

Jim
Jim Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2005, 07:12 PM   #8
coolguycarlos

Well here is the before pic

I'll take the after pic tomorow. Unfortunately I dont have a digital camera so I will have to take it with my nifty little camera phone
Unread 07-17-2005, 07:46 PM   #9
kappaknight
2013 JK Wrangler 

Haha, I think I'm on my way to modding the most un-offroad friendly vehicle ever. I'm looking to get some Bushwackers and I already have tube bumpers when I bought the jeep. *Sigh* At least it looks cool.
()_)()_)==)_)
Unread 07-17-2005, 11:30 PM   #10
coolguycarlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappaknight
Haha, I think I'm on my way to modding the most un-offroad friendly vehicle ever. I'm looking to get some Bushwackers and I already have tube bumpers when I bought the jeep. *Sigh* At least it looks cool.
Yeah I dont live in Atlanta where I'm sure you guys have a lot of places to go offroading in. If you ask anybody in San Diego theres really no where you can go offroading without having to plan a long 4 hour ride. I dont hit the trails so I dont have to worry about rocks or such things. I do hit the sand dunes. Skid plates and body armor really dont do me that good in the desert. So I figure make it look good while I'm not off roading it.
Unread 07-17-2005, 11:51 PM   #11
kappaknight
2013 JK Wrangler 

Actually, you'd be surprised. I've been looking for some trails in this area from beginner to mild and most of them are outside of the state or in the Maryland / Va area (apparently). Maybe during one of my random highway drives, I'll just pull off the road and go buck wild in the bushes. I'm sure there are some hidden trails that may lead to people's backyards.
()_)()_)==)_)
Unread 07-19-2005, 10:37 PM   #12
coolguycarlos

Well heres the pictures with it installed. I dunno. I kinda like the no flare look now.
Sorry bout the pictures, took them with my camera phone
jul18_001.jpg   jul19_002.jpg   jul19_003.jpg  
Unread 07-19-2005, 10:41 PM   #13
coolguycarlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shanks
If you do wheel, you will more than likely break them. Albeit they do look sweet, but they are brittle as crap. Mine broke the first time out.

$.02

Jim
Your right. Its seems almost as the stock ones are superior. As I was taking them off I found that I could bend as much as I wanted to etc. But these bushwacker are really stiff, theyre not flexiable at all
Unread 07-19-2005, 10:47 PM   #14
kappaknight
2013 JK Wrangler 

Looks sharp though. I wonder why Bushwacker doesn't just make the fender a bit thicker and using a slightly softer material. That should "fix" the tree vs. BW issue.
()_)()_)==)_)
Unread 07-20-2005, 10:12 AM   #15
Jim Shanks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep does look nice with them, and they do help out a bunch for keeping the puddles from splashing you. Just yesterday I hit some water and got the rear passenger soaked.

Jim
Jim Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.