Installing 3" hybrid lift - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Installing 3" hybrid lift

Poison Spyder Ricochet RockersROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #91
FloridaFD
2006 LJ Wrangler 

05RubiLJ,
I know you were shooting for a one time 3" lift using the AEV Coils. What is the bare minimum that is needed to run the AEV 3" coils, maybe Mudb can help here? Are UCA and LCA absolutly needed to run your set up?
Thanks for your help.

FloridaFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #92
05RubiLJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFD View Post
05RubiLJ,
I know you were shooting for a one time 3" lift using the AEV Coils. What is the bare minimum that is needed to run the AEV 3" coils, maybe Mudb can help here? Are UCA and LCA absolutly needed to run your set up?
Thanks for your help.
With your LJ, you might be able to go with shocks/springs, rear trackbar relocator, rear and front sway bar extentions/disconnects and bump stops.

If you find you have vibes, those could be handled with BL/MML or with LCAs.
05RubiLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 10:50 PM   #93
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFD View Post
05RubiLJ,
Thanks for your help.
3" coils are a bit much without track bar relocation and you would likely need to drop the belly pan a little to fix a vibration..
You'll get away with just coils and shocks , but be prepared for some vibration and off centered axles.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 11:04 PM   #94
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

With the longer drive shaft of the LJ, it's unlikely that you'll get vibes with 3" of lift. The axles will be pretty off-center, though.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 11:25 PM   #95
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
With the longer drive shaft of the LJ, it's unlikely that you'll get vibes with 3" of lift. The axles will be pretty off-center, though.
I wouldn't have mentioned it If I hadn't had to fix a couple.....

I had to put a CV shaft on cb3's rubi with OME 2.5" coils to avoid dropping the skid.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 07-15-2010, 06:45 AM   #96
05RubiLJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
very nice, i hope it performs as well as it should off road and on road.
Well, I just got back from driving ~3400 miles from Texas to Arizona and back. Went all over the state from Tuscon to Page (on the Utah border). I got the chance to do some wheeling in Sedona - what a great place to drive! For those who know the area, I ran Cliffhanger, Soldiers Pass, Broken Arrow and Powerline. I have also added UCF t-case/engine skids and a LOPRO tranny mount.

The LOPRO with the rubber isolators give quite a bit of vibe at idle. I told my wife that it is the massaging seat upgrade She doesn't really like it but it doesn't bother me that much. I also have installed a Tuff Designs bumper/tire carrier/trail rack. I really struggled with the decision here due to some of the bad reviews on it but the jerry can placement and extra storage options was the best for me. I have two Scepter OD green MFC that are mounted in the swingout as well.

We had the Jeep packed full of stuff for the 10 day trip to AZ and while I didn't take a measurement of height, but there was minimal drop with 2 full MFCs, 5 Gal water, and luggage for 3 people, there was no space in the rear seat for another person and the back of the LJ was packed to the roof. The drive was pretty good but fully loaded, the 4.0L has a hard time keeping 75-85 through the hills in west Texas, NM and AZ. My wife told me I need a bigger engine Not sure what I want yet but it will likely be a stroker kit rather than deal with all the changes required for a HEMI/Chevy V8 option.

The suspension performed very well on the trails in Sedona. I only barely hit the corner of the rear bumper once and that is because I goosed the throttle on the way through a crevice on Broken Arrow. On the way to powerline, there is a long gravel washboard road that was absorbed very well by the progressive springs. At full stuff in the back, I noticed that I was about .25" from the ridge in the back of the wheel well. The 10.5" wheels stuff very nicely into the front corners as well. I climbed most everything without the rear locker engaged - there was a time on powerline that I needed the rear locker. The trails I ran were between 1-3.5+ for AZ ratings (2-7+ in the rest of the country) and I ran the tires at 22 psi. I am extremely pleased with the setup. The technical driving required to navigate a 7 rated trail is more than enough for me at this point. I had a bit of a "pucker moment" on powerline when my rear wheels didn't catch the step right and skipped me near the cliffside edge. Once the locker pump engaged the rear locker, I was able to walk up the step with minimal issues. I only had one nub on one of the rear tires that got ripped off during the trail runs.

I didn't take many pictures since I was having fun just running the trails but here is a pic of my son and I coming back down the slick rock on Soldier's Pass near the Devil's Kitchen

05RubiLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2010, 01:57 AM   #97
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05RubiLJ View Post
Well, I just got back from driving ~3400 miles from Texas to Arizona and back. Went all over the state from Tuscon to Page (on the Utah border). I got the chance to do some wheeling in Sedona - what a great place to drive! For those who know the area, I ran Cliffhanger, Soldiers Pass, Broken Arrow and Powerline. I have also added UCF t-case/engine skids and a LOPRO tranny mount.

The LOPRO with the rubber isolators give quite a bit of vibe at idle. I told my wife that it is the massaging seat upgrade She doesn't really like it but it doesn't bother me that much. I also have installed a Tuff Designs bumper/tire carrier/trail rack. I really struggled with the decision here due to some of the bad reviews on it but the jerry can placement and extra storage options was the best for me. I have two Scepter OD green MFC that are mounted in the swingout as well.

We had the Jeep packed full of stuff for the 10 day trip to AZ and while I didn't take a measurement of height, but there was minimal drop with 2 full MFCs, 5 Gal water, and luggage for 3 people, there was no space in the rear seat for another person and the back of the LJ was packed to the roof. The drive was pretty good but fully loaded, the 4.0L has a hard time keeping 75-85 through the hills in west Texas, NM and AZ. My wife told me I need a bigger engine Not sure what I want yet but it will likely be a stroker kit rather than deal with all the changes required for a HEMI/Chevy V8 option.

The suspension performed very well on the trails in Sedona. I only barely hit the corner of the rear bumper once and that is because I goosed the throttle on the way through a crevice on Broken Arrow. On the way to powerline, there is a long gravel washboard road that was absorbed very well by the progressive springs. At full stuff in the back, I noticed that I was about .25" from the ridge in the back of the wheel well. The 10.5" wheels stuff very nicely into the front corners as well. I climbed most everything without the rear locker engaged - there was a time on powerline that I needed the rear locker. The trails I ran were between 1-3.5+ for AZ ratings (2-7+ in the rest of the country) and I ran the tires at 22 psi. I am extremely pleased with the setup. The technical driving required to navigate a 7 rated trail is more than enough for me at this point. I had a bit of a "pucker moment" on powerline when my rear wheels didn't catch the step right and skipped me near the cliffside edge. Once the locker pump engaged the rear locker, I was able to walk up the step with minimal issues. I only had one nub on one of the rear tires that got ripped off during the trail runs.

I didn't take many pictures since I was having fun just running the trails but here is a pic of my son and I coming back down the slick rock on Soldier's Pass near the Devil's Kitchen

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Tags
currie , hybrid lift , nth , nth degree , ome

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.