Installed Skyjacker Hydros last night. - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Installed Skyjacker Hydros last night.

Road Race Motorsports Fuel Calibrator for the 2007-2011 JKIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Reply
Unread 04-16-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
AntiPrius
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 1,201
Installed Skyjacker Hydros last night.

And I can say without a doubt the Skyjacker 7000's > RE twin tubes. The SJ's in a nutshell eliminated the jarring ride the RE's gave. Sure, it still doesn't ride like an old Caddy nor did I expect it too, but the ride is substantially better. It floats much better over speed bumps, without the feeling the rear end is going to come off the ground. There are some speed "humps" in my neighborhood and I can drive over them at a greater speed, and its pretty smooth while doing it.

I read some negative reviews on the SJ's, but I haven't experienced any of it, from nose diving on braking, to feeling unstable at highway speeds, as a matter of fact, I drove it down the freeway this morning to work at speeds between 65-70mph and it felt completely stable, no less so than with the RE's. I think it leans just a touch more on corners, but just barely, and nothing at all to be concerned with. The super flat cornering was about the only plus to the RE's.

The install was pretty easy too, I didn't remove any of the tires or anything, just did it in the driveway with all the tires on. Luckily in AZ, rust is not an issue so the old shocks came out without incident, I didn't even spray them with PB blaster or anything. Even getting the bushings and bar pins in with a rubber mallet was not bad.

I had considered going with Zone Hydro's, but having not had my PM to XTRyan answered that I sent last Friday, and seeing that shipping from Zone was sort of steep, I decided to go with the SJ's, and am not regretting it. I read later that Zone offers free shipping to JF members, but if that is true, I didn't know it at the time.

So if anyone is still riding on crappy super stiff shocks, about $140 will make your life considerably better.

AntiPrius is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
Necko2529
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Brookfield, Illinois
Posts: 2,546
Im planning on replacing my stockers with these, that is, if they have them in stock length. Im hoping that i have the sake luck with bolts since i painted over everything underneath before leaving Phoenix in January and have applied antiseize to all the suspension bolts except shocks. I think they're going to come out just fine even though its been a long and salty winter out here this year and from what i hear its just as salty every winter so i made sure i come out prepared...

Im definitely giving those a shot if, like i said, they have them in stock length. Rubicon shocks are pretty stiff especially out here on these pothole infested roads, hate it!!!
__________________
Rokmen TT, Rokmen control arms, Novak NV241 cable shifter, JKS 1.25" BL + 1" MML.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #3
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life
 
JBTJ's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 10,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiPrius View Post
And I can say without a doubt the Skyjacker 7000's > RE twin tubes. The SJ's in a nutshell eliminated the jarring ride the RE's gave. Sure, it still doesn't ride like an old Caddy nor did I expect it too, but the ride is substantially better. It floats much better over speed bumps, without the feeling the rear end is going to come off the ground. There are some speed "humps" in my neighborhood and I can drive over them at a greater speed, and its pretty smooth while doing it.

I read some negative reviews on the SJ's, but I haven't experienced any of it, from nose diving on braking, to feeling unstable at highway speeds, as a matter of fact, I drove it down the freeway this morning to work at speeds between 65-70mph and it felt completely stable, no less so than with the RE's. I think it leans just a touch more on corners, but just barely, and nothing at all to be concerned with. The super flat cornering was about the only plus to the RE's.

The install was pretty easy too, I didn't remove any of the tires or anything, just did it in the driveway with all the tires on. Luckily in AZ, rust is not an issue so the old shocks came out without incident, I didn't even spray them with PB blaster or anything. Even getting the bushings and bar pins in with a rubber mallet was not bad.

I had considered going with Zone Hydro's, but having not had my PM to XTRyan answered that I sent last Friday, and seeing that shipping from Zone was sort of steep, I decided to go with the SJ's, and am not regretting it. I read later that Zone offers free shipping to JF members, but if that is true, I didn't know it at the time.

So if anyone is still riding on crappy super stiff shocks, about $140 will make your life considerably better.
What color were the shock bushings?
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #4
AntiPrius
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 1,201
The bushings are red.
AntiPrius is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Charlottesville, Va
Posts: 27,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
What color were the shock bushings?
Red.SJ are always.
__________________
Quote:
When I had 3.07s I would draft behind birds as an attempt to do the speed limit.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2014, 11:47 AM   #6
AntiPrius
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necko2529 View Post
Im planning on replacing my stockers with these, that is, if they have them in stock length. Im hoping that i have the sake luck with bolts since i painted over everything underneath before leaving Phoenix in January and have applied antiseize to all the suspension bolts except shocks. I think they're going to come out just fine even though its been a long and salty winter out here this year and from what i hear its just as salty every winter so i made sure i come out prepared...

Im definitely giving those a shot if, like i said, they have them in stock length. Rubicon shocks are pretty stiff especially out here on these pothole infested roads, hate it!!!

Mine are for a 4" lift, but they do make them for no lift as well.
AntiPrius is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #7
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Charlottesville, Va
Posts: 27,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necko2529 View Post
Im planning on replacing my stockers with these, that is, if they have them in stock length. Im hoping that i have the sake luck with bolts since i painted over everything underneath before leaving Phoenix in January and have applied antiseize to all the suspension bolts except shocks. I think they're going to come out just fine even though its been a long and salty winter out here this year and from what i hear its just as salty every winter so i made sure i come out prepared...

Im definitely giving those a shot if, like i said, they have them in stock length. Rubicon shocks are pretty stiff especially out here on these pothole infested roads, hate it!!!
Go with Zone hydros over SJ.I've had several of both and the Zone hydros ride much smoother on the street.Hit up XTRyan on here for a deal.0-2" shocks usually work fine.
__________________
Quote:
When I had 3.07s I would draft behind birds as an attempt to do the speed limit.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2014, 11:50 AM   #8
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life
 
JBTJ's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 10,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Red.SJ are always.
Actually the older stock ones that fall apart with in a few miles were an orange/redish color. I was hoping they were not those, but in fact the red ones.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2014, 11:59 AM   #9
AntiPrius
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Go with Zone hydros over SJ.I've had several of both and the Zone hydros ride much smoother on the street.Hit up XTRyan on here for a deal.0-2" shocks usually work fine.
The Zones must ride smooth as glass, because I think the Skyjackers ride nice. I probably would have gone with the Zones, but since I never got my PM answered, to find out what sort of deal I could get I went elsewhere. I do know that the shocks on their website are considerably more expensive than straight from Zone, but they do offer free shipping, and Zone was like $26 for shipping. Both options ended up costing more than the Skyjackers, but not by a whole lot.

If Zone does offer free shipping, their price would have been slightly less than the SJ. I have no idea how good the deal may be from XTRyan.

I paid $136 plus $10 sales tax for the SJ's.
AntiPrius is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #10
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com
 
XTRyan's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 1,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiPrius View Post
The Zones must ride smooth as glass, because I think the Skyjackers ride nice. I probably would have gone with the Zones, but since I never got my PM answered, to find out what sort of deal I could get I went elsewhere. I do know that the shocks on their website are considerably more expensive than straight from Zone, but they do offer free shipping, and Zone was like $26 for shipping. Both options ended up costing more than the Skyjackers, but not by a whole lot.

If Zone does offer free shipping, their price would have been slightly less than the SJ. I have no idea how good the deal may be from XTRyan.

I paid $136 plus $10 sales tax for the SJ's.
I just PM'd you after it was brought to my attention that I hadn't replied to earlier. I'm sorry I missed your message. I hate to leave anyone hanging. I try to reply to every message I guess I let one get by. I apologize for the delay.

-Ryan
__________________
Ryan H. | ExtremeTerrain.com Off-Road Outfitters
Toll Free: 800-988-4605 | Mon-Fri 10AM-6PM EST
Free Shipping on Orders Over $75!
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2014, 12:34 PM   #11
AntiPrius
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTRyan View Post
I just PM'd you after it was brought to my attention that I hadn't replied to earlier. I'm sorry I missed your message. I hate to leave anyone hanging. I try to reply to every message I guess I let one get by. I apologize for the delay.

-Ryan
It's fine. I'm not upset by it or anything. I just mentioned it, as one reason I went with the Skyjackers. I may at some point be interested in comparing the Zones to the SJ's.

If what Boogieman says about the Zones is true, they must be one great riding shock, although I'm fairly pleased with the SJ's so far, but they haven't even been on a full day yet.
AntiPrius is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2014, 12:34 PM   #12
_KONG_
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eastvale, CA
Posts: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiPrius View Post
The Zones must ride smooth as glass, because I think the Skyjackers ride nice. I probably would have gone with the Zones, but since I never got my PM answered, to find out what sort of deal I could get I went elsewhere. I do know that the shocks on their website are considerably more expensive than straight from Zone, but they do offer free shipping, and Zone was like $26 for shipping. Both options ended up costing more than the Skyjackers, but not by a whole lot.

If Zone does offer free shipping, their price would have been slightly less than the SJ. I have no idea how good the deal may be from XTRyan.

I paid $136 plus $10 sales tax for the SJ's.
I believe theres a min amount for free shipping. If you buy the complete kit you'll qualify but if its just the shocks you wont
_KONG_ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #13
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com
 
XTRyan's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 1,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiPrius View Post
It's fine. I'm not upset by it or anything. I just mentioned it, as one reason I went with the Skyjackers. I may at some point be interested in comparing the Zones to the SJ's.

If what Boogieman says about the Zones is true, they must be one great riding shock, although I'm fairly pleased with the SJ's so far, but they haven't even been on a full day yet.
Thanks for understanding. I just wanted to let you and everyone else know that I don't make a practice of leaving PM's unanswered.

Definitely let me know if you're interested in giving the Zones a shot and I'll get you set up for the price I quoted you. If anyone else is interested in a quote, please feel free to contact me through PM.

-Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by _KONG_ View Post
I believe theres a min amount for free shipping. If you buy the complete kit you'll qualify but if its just the shocks you wont
We have free shipping on all orders over $75 so the shocks would qualify for sure. Fortunately (or unfortunately) most orders are over $75 and qualify!

Edit: I reread your post and realized that you were talking about Zones shipping policy, not ours.

-Ryan
__________________
Ryan H. | ExtremeTerrain.com Off-Road Outfitters
Toll Free: 800-988-4605 | Mon-Fri 10AM-6PM EST
Free Shipping on Orders Over $75!
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2014, 12:56 PM   #14
BamaJeepman21
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 3,926
I'm about to replace my rear Bilstein 5100's with these to see how they compare.
__________________
Wanted: Savvy/Currie 3" front springs

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #15
Necko2529
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Brookfield, Illinois
Posts: 2,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTRyan View Post
Thanks for understanding. I just wanted to let you and everyone else know that I don't make a practice of leaving PM's unanswered.

Definitely let me know if you're interested in giving the Zones a shot and I'll get you set up for the price I quoted you. If anyone else is interested in a quote, please feel free to contact me through PM.

-Ryan



We have free shipping on all orders over $75 so the shocks would qualify for sure. Fortunately (or unfortunately) most orders are over $75 and qualify!

Edit: I reread your post and realized that you were talking about Zones shipping policy, not ours.

-Ryan
I was going to say that its probably directly from zone and not you. Ill definitely contact you, hopefully in the near future, for the zones. Seems like the way to go on the cheap side. I still got plenty of tread on my tires that work perfectly with my stock suspension and there's no sense in throwing them away. By the time for new tires i hope to be lifted and running taller and better shocks... I just need something softer on these jacked up roads out here.
__________________
Rokmen TT, Rokmen control arms, Novak NV241 cable shifter, JKS 1.25" BL + 1" MML.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.