Installed mechanical oil pressure gauge, how can i disable the check gauges light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Installed mechanical oil pressure gauge, how can i disable the check gauges light

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 03-20-2009, 07:48 PM   #1
dolannd
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Installed mechanical oil pressure gauge, how can i disable the check gauges light

HI guys, i've just installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge since the original one was acting up and now the check gauges light stays on at all times as i left the original sending unit disconnected, Does anyone know if the check gauges light would alert other issues than the oil pressure?
If yes, what can i do to the old oil pressure sending unit connector to disengage the light.
Or more speciffic what can i do to not have the light on but still have it functional in case it does alert on other issues than the oil pressure?
Any help is appreciated!

dolannd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
wtroger
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If the original was an electric gauge then yo should be able to put a resistor across the connectors and turn off the check gauge light. The only thing I can't tell you is what size resistor the shop manual will not give me the value range of the pressure sensor it just says it is a variable resistor diaphram type sensor. feeding info to the PCM. I am not up on the Jeep system well enough to know maybe some else will chime in on the value
wtroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
XXRider
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Edit ... Looks like I was beat to the punch....

I don't have a answer to how but I'm sure you can feed the computer a level that is "good". That would have the computer keep working normally without a code.

My guess is you will need to a resistor that is in the same range the computer reads as normal.
Unread 03-20-2009, 09:49 PM   #4
ODA 074
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would replace the sensor and find a T coupler at a hardware store and attach both sending units. That is what I did for my 97 - both gauges will work. From my experience, my aftermarket gauge is much more accurate - the factory gauge hovers from 20 to 40 and my computer stays happy. The only gauge you will not be able to run in tandem is your gas gauge (from my experience).
ODA 074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
azcoyote

Hmm.. Not sure this will work but... Can a ohm meter be used to test the old gauge to get the resistance?

Just a thought but I could be completely wrong? Anyone know?
Unread 03-20-2009, 10:21 PM   #6
ODA 074
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry man - just reread your post, I failed to see that you are running a mechanical gauge. I'm running all electrical gauges; I personally don't have any experience with mechanical units.
ODA 074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2009, 10:38 PM   #7
XXRider
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcoyote View Post
Hmm.. Not sure this will work but... Can a ohm meter be used to test the old gauge to get the resistance?

Just a thought but I could be completely wrong? Anyone know?
Maybe, but you may have to get the sensor to a normal oil pressure to get the right reading.
Unread 03-21-2009, 05:58 PM   #8
dolannd
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies, i might go with the T fitting, seems like the easiest solution.
dolannd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 08:58 AM   #9
Tim
1997 TJ Wrangler 

t-fitting is the way to go, been running like that for many years. the tj likes its stock sensors. i would find a way to keep them hooked up whenever a mechanical gauge is put into play.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
rcs8
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge

What size T-fitting is required?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.