installed locker last night...but scared...should i be?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > installed locker last night...but scared...should i be??

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair

Unread 02-04-2004, 10:05 PM   #1
jackal

installed locker last night...but scared...should i be??

I installed my front locker last night...but i'm really scared that i'm going to break something now. I tested that sucker out by climbing a tree...yes..climbing a tree. There aren't very many rocks and stuff where I live so...that's about as best as I could do. Is there a good chance of breaking an axle or axle u-joint by just climbing stuff like that...or like little boulders or someone elses tire? Also...does it really put a lot of stress (ABOUT TO BREAK) when the wheels are turned? I run 33x13.50 and have the dana30 front. Thanks. BTW...no locker in the back yet.

JackaL

Poweraide Throttle Body Spacer,
BanksPower Stinger CAT-BACK,
Advanced Adapters SYE kit
Krylon Fusion Flares!
Skyjacker Dual Steering-Stabilizer
R.E. 5.5" Long-arm Coils
1" Body Lift,
37" MT/Rs on 15"x10" wheels
[B][I]If they ain't singin'...they ain't slingin'!![/I][/B]
$1000 sound system inside!
jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2004, 10:16 PM   #2
JeepCrawler_98

That Dana 30 will be fine with 33"s. A friend of mine has a 4.0 YJ with a Detroit up front, 4:56s, and 35"s TSLs. He has a crazy right foot - he goes through a U-joint every few months, but I'm sure that with 33"s and care you'll be ok. This friend of mine is more of a "Floor it now - fix stuff later" kind of driver.

Also keep in mind that down in AZ the trails are just crazy with rock obstacles. Any obstacle down here is definitely maxing it out as far as torque stresses are concerned.
Unread 02-04-2004, 10:21 PM   #3
Graphic

Well, I would like to say I know JackaL in real life. ( Talk about a ugly whiteboy) Anyhow, I think you guys should give him opinions because he doesn't know what he's doing.

Plus he ditches me and testing out the locker... for his 'girlfriend'

Bros before hoes
Graphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2004, 10:21 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Remember that the u-joints are at their weakest when the wheels are turned to the left or right and you should be ok. My u-joint busted and took the passenger-side axle shaft with it when I attempted to crawl over a boulder on Sledgehammer when I forgot my steering wheel was still cranked all the way over after having been parked in that position for 15-20 minutes.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2004, 10:39 PM   #5
Bighaeb

Try to apply the skinny pedal when going in a straight/semi straight line. If you must turn sharply with that locker, just take it easy when engaged and you'll be OK. Happy trails! Time to get the rear locker now!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.