Installation of Smittybilt rear bumper is driving me crazy... - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Installation of Smittybilt rear bumper is driving me crazy...

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-31-2011, 07:24 PM   #31
Night Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The straps hold the tank to the skid, and the skid is bolted to the cross member...how exactly did you break the straps?

Atleast that is how even the '03-'06 stock skid works. I know the early TJ gas tank skid is rather pathetic, does it mount differently?

If so, then I agree with the above - if your gonna drop the tank anyway, put a real skid on it and may as well make it a Savvy. It comes with new straps anyway.

-1987 BMW 528e 5spd e28 - personal Panzer for the daily driven battlefield, just broken in at 300k

-1990 BMW 325i Convertible 5spd e30 - extensive overhaul in progress

-2005 TJ Sport - stuff
Night Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 07:29 PM   #32
iplumb
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well here in Michigan everything is rusty so I thought I had to loosen those to lower the tank. They snapped right off even after soaking them...Dumb A-- Whats a decent after market?
iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 07:40 PM   #33
dwine7274
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The straps didnt need to be undone to lower the tank. Just 4 bolts on the rear and 3 I believe at the front of the tank. Of course you know that now .

New straps..... http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=51033
dwine7274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #34
wranglerWestLA
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I ended up installing it...dropping the gas tank...but then I sold the TJ and bought a Rubi
wranglerWestLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #35
tntempest
2004 TJ Wrangler 

This is for all the future people looking to install this bumper and want to know how to put it on properly and what tools to use. It gets a lot of flack because of the bolts needed in the crossmeber. I have never seen anybody mention slightly lowering and twisting the tank to help the installation, and the Smittybuilt instructions only have you install them by magic. Some people have done it without it, but you will cuss a lot more if you don't lower the tank.

First off this is a well built well coated and packaged bumper as delivered. It is very strong and is now rated to tow Class III, or the maximum of your jeep. I have owned much more expensive brands but this one is a lot nicer than people on here give it credit for. I paid $181 off Amazon shipped.

This is everything after removing old bumper:

1. Drill holes in crossmember using templates. Use a bigger drill bit then in the instructions or elongate the holes or you might have trouble with the hard to reach bolts.

2. Undo four torx or phillips screws on inside of gas filler neck. Support gas tank with jack. Undo all 7 1/2" nuts holding tank and skid in. Do not drop tank fully, just slightly lower it or you will have to undo all the electrical and gas lines. I think I lowered it about 3" which will allow you to twist the tank. Be careful not to overstretch electrical connector that is you main limiter. If you can undo this connector you can really lower it down, but it's not necessary.

3. Lift bumper up and install outer bolts just enough to hold weight. Its a good time to see if you have screwed up and should have ordered the tire rack version by opening and closing you factory carrier. A 265-70-16 with full tread will just barely clear.

4. Twist tank out of the way and hand install the backer plates and bolts on one side only in the inside of crossmember, do not tighten. This may be difficult to get lined up but you can do it will some wiggling. If you have trouble you may have to remove the bumper and elongate or make holes in crossmember bigger.

5. Repeat tank twist for other side and install those bolts hand tight.

6. Now install the 2 lower frame tie end bolts, it may line up perfect but I had to elongate the holes a little in the bumper. Do not tighten fully,

7. Go back to the hard to reach 5/8 head bolts inside the crossmember. Use a 5/8 spark plug socket and 3/8 ratchet as this is the perfect combo. Fully tighten bolts. Repeat other side with the tank twist and fully tighten,

8. Tighten the outer bumper bolts fully.

9. Tighten lower 19mm bolts fully.

10. Reinstall tank, being careful to guide filler neck into place as you slowly jack up the tank. Install 7 nuts and 4 torx bolts in filler area.

11. Enjoy rear bumper.

Andy
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #36
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntempest View Post

First off this is a well built well coated and packaged bumper as delivered. It is very strong and is now rated to tow Class III, or the maximum of your jeep. I have owned much more expensive brands but this one is a lot nicer than people on here give it credit for. I paid $181 off Amazon shipped.

Andy
Not really. I've seen at least 20 of them in person and only someone who is unfamiliar with manufacturing, quality, or design would consider that a strong well built product.

The first thing the copy did was severely compromise the design of the hinge and surface mount it. If that was done to a real bumper, everyone would be screaming at the top of their lungs how crappy the design was and looking for the proverbial rope to string up the designer. But, because as you so nicely pointed out it only costs 181 bucks, they will sacrifice a bit of their integrity for a few bucks.
Unread 02-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #37
tntempest
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Not really. I've seen at least 20 of them in person and only someone who is unfamiliar with manufacturing, quality, or design would consider that a strong well built product.

The first thing the copy did was severely compromise the design of the hinge and surface mount it. If that was done to a real bumper, everyone would be screaming at the top of their lungs how crappy the design was and looking for the proverbial rope to string up the designer. But, because as you so nicely pointed out it only costs 181 bucks, they will sacrifice a bit of their integrity for a few bucks.
You might can bully some people around on here but it shows who you truly are.. I never said anything about the tire carrier version, simply the SRC bumper itself. I never once said it was better than any other brand just that it is well built, packaged, and coated (I never said engineered) especially for the $181 shipped price. I wrote this to help install a bumper that gets a bad reputaion because very few people have pointed out the short cuts and tools required to make it install without headaches. It not my fault Smittys own people are lazy. However unlike you I am one who can talk about manufacturing and coating of sheet metal and back it up. I own one of the largest sheet metal shops and conveyored powder lines in the southern United States. www.unitedenertech.com. If I could have built one and coated it for anywhere near that amount I would have built it myself. But the return of building a one off bumper is simply not there. The time in engineering and loss of personal time I can simply be happy with what I have. Making fun of people who might be on a budget or you think are lower than you is not what people get on the forums for, they look for help. I offered help to people who might be considereing this bumper due to budget or just like the look in general. It is still one of the best looking bumpers on the market, maybe not toughest or engineered.
Unread 02-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #38
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

You might can bully some people around on here but it shows who you truly are.. I never said anything about the tire carrier version, simply the SRC bumper itself. I never once said it was better than any other brand just that it is well built, packaged, and coated (I never said engineered) especially for the $181 shipped price. I wrote this to help install a bumper that gets a bad reputaion because very few people have pointed out the short cuts and tools required to make it install without headaches. It not my fault Smittys own people are lazy. However unlike you I am one who can talk about manufacturing and coating of sheet metal and back it up. I own one of the largest sheet metal shops and conveyored powder lines in the southern United States. www.unitedenertech.com. If I could have built one and coated it for anywhere near that amount I would have built it myself. But the return of building a one off bumper is simply not there. The time in engineering and loss of personal time I can simply be happy with what I have. Making fun of people who might be on a budget or you think are lower than you is not what people get on the forums for, they look for help. I offered help to people who might be considereing this bumper due to budget or just like the look in general. It is still one of the best looking bumpers on the market, maybe not toughest or engineered.
My apologies for not knowing the various models by heart. Your explanation of what you do and why you can't build that bumper for that price pretty much covers the rest of it for me.

I don't think anyone is lesser than anyone else for choosing to save money, just don't justify for anything other than what it is. It's cheap crap, you saved a buck on it and it makes you happy to do so. That's not poking fun, it's just the truth.
Unread 02-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #39
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

It not my fault Smittys own people are lazy. However unlike you I am one who can talk about manufacturing and coating of sheet metal and back it up. I own one of the largest sheet metal shops and conveyored powder lines in the southern United States. www.unitedenertech.com. If I could have built one and coated it for anywhere near that amount I would have built it myself. But the return of building a one off bumper is simply not there. The time in engineering and loss of personal time I can simply be happy with what I have.
Smittys people are not lazy, they are overseas manufacturing or collecting money state side. The rest of the people are just moving part A to point B. While I would love to scream out accolades to you owning a stamping shop in "the south" the fact is your tools come from north of you, as probably a large amount of your raw material does. Smittybuilt uses material that YOU as a "reputable USA manufacturer" would likely reject and/or pay a higher cost though tooling repair or customer service. Just facts....china steel is not worth trading for..period.

I have no love for blaines arrogance and what not....but he has west coast manufacturing, they are pretty familiar with imported junk raw materiel and other people taking designs/ideas/engineering and making them out of junk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I don't think anyone is lesser than anyone else for choosing to save money, just don't justify for anything other than what it is. It's cheap crap, you saved a buck on it and it makes you happy to do so. That's not poking fun, it's just the truth.
truth.

Tags
smittybilt , rear , bump , install , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.