Installation of Smittybilt rear bumper is driving me crazy... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Installation of Smittybilt rear bumper is driving me crazy...

Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineRugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
wranglerWestLA
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Installation of Smittybilt rear bumper is driving me crazy...

So I bought this bumper with tire carrier cause at the end I paid 240 dollars for it.
Regular price here in CA 349 plus taxes.
I tried to install it but there is no way I am able to put it on.

Facts:
I am not that good at these things but I did install successfully the front bumper and the winch.

Instructions that came with the bumper are terrible.

I am having issues in positioning the rear backing plates.

I have a 97 TJ so I do not have to drill anything.
The problem is that I can't access the holes where the gas tank is.
I also lowered the gas tank plate cause I have been told I would have had more space.

They suggested to start from the central holes but everytime I am able to position the central right backing plates (for some reason more accessible than the central left)...i am unable to screw the bolts in.

So bottom line I am frustrated and desperate

A step by step installation would be appreciated (I read the thread with 30 pages but everyone more or less says that the installation is fairly easy!!!)

Thanks.

wranglerWestLA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

welcome to the wonderful world of purchasing a smittybilt product my suggestion is take it back, save up a little more money and get something else. you wont be happy with it most likely after you get it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
wranglerWestLA
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well I am happy with the smittybilt front bumper I got.
I wanted to buy a warn rear bumper with tire carrier but 240 VS 650 dollars is what made me decide.

I know you get what you pay for.

I Bought it at 4wheelparts.
I asked them to help me install it and they said they would for 90 bucks an hour....Yeah right!
Unread 07-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

$90/hour is insane.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
RubiconRazorbac
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
welcome to the wonderful world of purchasing a smittybilt product my suggestion is take it back, save up a little more money and get something else. you wont be happy with it most likely after you get it on.
^This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerWestLA View Post
Well I am happy with the smittybilt front bumper I got.
I wanted to buy a warn rear bumper with tire carrier but 240 VS 650 dollars is what made me decide.

I know you get what you pay for.

I Bought it at 4wheelparts.
I asked them to help me install it and they said they would for 90 bucks an hour....Yeah right!
Of course! Let's see, sell you a quality item that you can install easily and will last, OR sell you crap because it's cheaper while knowing they can get you on the install and when you get tired of dealing with the cheap knock-off you'll end up buying the quality item anyway... Yep, that's 4WP
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #6
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

my buddy put one on at the same time we were installing his body lift. this gave us enough room to fit our hands in and under the rear cross member to start the bolts. then we used a ratcheting wrench one click at a time for the 4 bolts behind that rear cross member. good luck.
Unread 07-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
wranglerWestLA
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah now I do not want to start a thread about the bad quality of this product.
I was just looking for tips on how to install it.

I do not have a body lift and that is why I think is so difficult to work in the rear of the cross member.
It's really really tight.

I will never have 4wp install it.
That s for sure.
Unread 07-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #8
2kbeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Go to the fab section and order one from Eddie. Beserk is his screen name great bumper and will be about the same cost of that smitty.
2kbeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2010, 12:50 PM   #9
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchrider View Post
$90/hour is insane.
Really? If you brought me a S/B product to have me install it, I would charge 90 bucks an hour. If you brought me a quality product that fit and lines up with good hardware, I'd charge half that because I wouldn't be aggravated with all the BS.
Unread 07-11-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
rob78
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah now I do not want to start a thread about the bad quality of this product.
I was just looking for tips on how to install it.

I do not have a body lift and that is why I think is so difficult to work in the rear of the cross member.
It's really really tight.

I will never have 4wp install it.
That s for sure.

you may have to drop the fuel tank.

As the poster you quoted stated, with a body lift things would be a bit easier.

From what you've posted, dropping the tank is your next chore.

Sorry, wish that weren't the case.
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #11
wranglerWestLA
2003 TJ Wrangler 

How difficult is to drop the fuel tank?
What are the steps?
What are the risks?

Thanks
Unread 07-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #12
rob78
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What are the steps?
What are the risks?

Thanks
I've done it exactly one time. It isn't difficult if you follow procedure (I had a more knowledgeable friend help).

Here are simplified instructions cut/pasted from wikianswers:

"Well, on the TJ model, the first thing is to take off the gas cap, then push down on the little valve inside the gas filler neck to release any pressure in the tank. Then go under the hood, and unplug the relay for the fuel pump. This is in the small fuse block on the battery side of the car, and is marked as fuel pump relay.

Next, go back and unscrew the four phillips head screws that hold the filler neck to the filler hose. (Be very careful not to drop them into the filler neck when you get them loose.) Now, under the car, on the drivers side, above the fuel tank you will see one electrical connector, and two hose connections. The electrical connector has a small red plastic clip that you have to slide to the side so you can squeeze the black plastic button down and disconnect the two parts. The gas tank side of this clip is attached to the skid plate, so you can leave it there, the gas tank and skid plate come out as a unit. The small rubber hose just has to be pulled off. And the plastic fitting for the other hose has two buttons, one on each side to squeeze to get the fitting to release. This is where you MUST have released the pressure in the tank, or you will have gas all over the place.

Now that the fittings are loose, you can drop the tank. There are seven 1/2" nuts, three on the front of the gas tank skid plate, and four on the back (toward the bumper). Note, there are rubber covers on two bolts on the back of the tank. these bolts stay attached, so leave them alone.

Use a floor jack or such to put a little pressure on the bottom of the skid plate, then undo the seven bolts discussed above. Now, slowly drop the tank down, guiding the filler hose out from the fuel door, and under the Jeep. If all is done right so far, you have the skid plate and gas tank assembly sitting on the floor.

Slide the tank out from under the car, and see the large white fitting on the top of the tank. Using a large, dull, flat screwdriver and a hammer, tap one of the raised ridges in a counter-clockwise direction to unscrew this fitting. Once the white plastic ring is unscrewed, the fuel pump, fuel filter, and GAS GAGE will come out of the tank in one unit. Replace or Repair as needed and reinstall in reverse order.

Remember - It is easier to do this with an empty tank
You may have to jack the car up to get clearance to get the tank out
Be VERY careful with the white plastic hose fittings on the top of the tank
When you are done..... reinstall the fuel pump relay"

Hope this helps.
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #13
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What are the steps?
What are the risks?

Thanks
Go to Youtube and find Rokmen's video for installing their gas tank skid. You obviously can ignore the part about changing the skid but maybe useful to see the steps associated with dropping the tank.
Unread 07-11-2010, 03:54 PM   #14
wranglerWestLA
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you.
Before I attempt to drop the fuel tank, I d like to hear from someone that installed this bumper if they have any tip/suggestions.
I will check the video right now.
Unread 07-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #15
pdangerp

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconRazorbac View Post
^This.

Of course! Let's see, sell you a quality item that you can install easily and will last, OR sell you crap because it's cheaper while knowing they can get you on the install and when you get tired of dealing with the cheap knock-off you'll end up buying the quality item anyway... Yep, that's 4WP
Let's see... I buy parts from 4WP and I have never been pressured to buy any cheap knock-off product. All products that I buy, I decided on my own to purchase. Sometimes I order online and pick up in store (saves on shipping), and sometimes I order from the store directly. I have had nothing but quality help from the guys at the San Jose 4wp store. If you want a cheap product, that's your business. You may very well end up buying the better product later. If you want nice products, they sell those too. The reality is that when you buy during their sales, you can get great products at good prices. They also price match any product that is advertised as in stock and full price. If they have what you want, then i don't see any problem with buying there.
pdangerp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
smittybilt , rear , bump , install , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.