Install YJ half doors on a TJ - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Install YJ half doors on a TJ

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #31
TFERV
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batty505a
I've actually assembled 1/2 doors for my 93 YJ. Unsure but I think the inside door catch is modular. Swap that out and with whichever striker you have and rekey the door cylinders. voila!
HTH
I'm glad to hear that works. Thanks! I thought about that but am not sure where you would get a Tj door catch that you won't pay a boat load for it.

Unread 03-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #32
Batty505a
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quadratec has most components. I just bought a shift boot bezel for my tj.
Batty505a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #33
TFERV
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Quadratec has most components. I just bought a shift boot bezel for my tj.
Oh yeah, Quadratec! I didn't think of that. Thanks. I'll have to look on there
Unread 03-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #34
larjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Oem of course. Not.
Unread 03-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #35
Batty505a
1998 TJ Wrangler 

TFERV,

I say, buy YJ 1/2 door & full doors and just swap out the door strikers. OR, swaput the inside door catch if possible
This way in the end you're only doing one thing, swapping doors.
Unread 03-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #36
TFERV
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
TFERV,

I say, buy YJ 1/2 door & full doors and just swap out the door strikers. OR, swaput the inside door catch if possible
This way in the end you're only doing one thing, swapping doors.
Yeah, that's a good idea. Seams like I might get into a bit of a cost though. I might be able to get a Tj style latch out of a ZJ at a junk yard and put it into my half door.
Unread 04-12-2013, 05:58 AM   #37
TFERV
2004 LJ Wrangler 

This was a good write up, however they missed a few steps and I have to work around it. This is a write up that I posted on my club's forum. This should work for any TJ or LJ Wrangler (mine being an LJ). Some may say, "Why not just buy TJ doors?" They usually go for twice the money and doors (regardless of model) don't always come around at a good price.

First off, you have to remove the TJ striker by unscrewing the bolts then bend out the little tab on the back side holding the nut mounts and take the nut bracket out.
Take the YJ nut bracket and slide it where the TJ one was. put about 3 or 4 washers on the YJ striker pin and screw it in through the top hole that was made from the TJ striker pin.
image-1673013763.jpg

Second, unscrew the 3 bolts on the side of the door to release the catch/latch. Push it down and out of the way so you can cut/grind off this metal tab that is in the way. Then bring up the catch and line it up to where it will need to meet the striker. Then drill 2 or 3 holes below and slightly inward (toward the inside of the jeep) so that it can be remounted lower and line up with the striker pin.
image-1898098877.jpg

If you want to open the door from the inside you will have to cut about an inch off of the end of the inside leaver so that it clears your TJ's dash. I didn't get a picture of this so I'm using the picture from the first poster.
image-3519372719.jpg

Now I have half doors on my LJ!
They need paint, so I plan to paint them matching silver and paint the handles, mirrors, and hinges black.
I would say the main downside to this is that I have to swap out the striker pins when I switch between my full and half doors. However, this morning it took me less than 5 minutes to do this. I plan on just keeping the half doors on in the summer and put the full doors on in the winter so it's not a big deal.
image-2678928599.jpg

Also, a quick note:I haven't gotten this far yet, but from what I have read, in order to get uppers to fit you will need TJ uppers and modify the front mounting pin. Some have said that you will either need to bend or cut and re-weld the front (closest to the hood) pin back so it lines up with the YJ door holes. I will post some more details and pics when I get to that point.
Unread 04-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #38
ob269
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wtf? Why all the deleted posts?
ob269 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #39
TFERV
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Haha I was trying to post the write up (above) from my phone and the app goofed it up and posted it multiple times. I then requested for a moderator to clean it up and delete them. Thanks jbolty.
Unread 10-30-2013, 07:43 AM   #40
PCO6
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFERV View Post
Sorry to reactivate this old thread but I am looking at this arrangement too (original YJ half doors on a TJ) and would like to know if anyone has put Best Top TJ soft uppers on YJ half bottoms? Someone above mentioned that TJ soft uppers work with a bit of modification to the front mount. I'm thinking that it would be the same for Best Top uppers.

I have Best Top soft lowers on my TJ. They are from a YJ and work fine with the pin modification shown by draggonwagon406 and TFERV. The Best Top YJ uppers are a no go though.

Here's my TJ with YJ Best Top lowers ...
PCO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #41
Batty505a
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCO6
Sorry to reactivate this old thread but I am looking at this arrangement too (original YJ half doors on a TJ) and would like to know if anyone has put Best Top TJ soft uppers on YJ half bottoms? Someone above mentioned that TJ soft uppers work with a bit of modification to the front mount. I'm thinking that it would be the same for Best Top uppers. I have Best Top soft lowers on my TJ. They are from a YJ and work fine with the pin modification shown by draggonwagon406 and TFERV. The Best Top YJ uppers are a no go though. Here's my TJ with YJ Best Top lowers ...
I was curious how the tj uppers would line up with YJ Lower doors.
Unread 11-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #42
PCO6
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batty505a View Post
I was curious how the tj uppers would line up with YJ Lower doors.
I've looked at various threads and photos and it appears that TJ uppers will fit on YJ lowers if you modify the rear most of the 3 pins that locate the uppers into the lowers.

I have a TJ with YJ lower MOPAR half doors (like seen at the beginning of this thread). I currently have no uppers and am hoping to fit either MOPAR or Best Top TJ uppers to my YJ MOPAR lowers. If anyone can confirm if this works and what modifications are needed that would be great. Thanks.
Unread 11-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #43
Batty505a
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCO6
I've looked at various threads and photos and it appears that TJ uppers will fit on YJ lowers if you modify the rear most of the 3 pins that locate the uppers into the lowers. I have a TJ with YJ lower MOPAR half doors (like seen at the beginning of this thread). I currently have no uppers and am hoping to fit either MOPAR or Best Top TJ uppers to my YJ MOPAR lowers. If anyone can confirm if this works and what modifications are needed that would be great. Thanks.
Could you use YJ uppers AND tj surrounds? Lolz
Maybe cheaper to find a Craigslist tj Softop
Unread 11-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #44
TFERV
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Hey all, sorry I have been busy and haven't gotten back to you.

First off, for TJs Wranglers with modified YJ lower half doors you must use TJ uppers. In order to have the mounting pins all line up you will need to cut and reweld the FRONT (clostest to the front of the jeep) pin on TJ uppers so they align with the holes on the YJ lowers. Another method could be to torch and bend the pin but that may be more difficult. Just don't ruin the material! Once you buy the TJ uppers this alignment process will make more sense once you see them together.

Secondly, YJ uppers do NOT work with TJ surrounds, even the rounded corner ones. I thought this too, tried it and was disappointed to find out it doesn't align correctly unless I did some major modifications which simply wouldn't be worth it.

In short, TJ Wranglers MUST use TJ uppers and modify the front pin to fit YJ Lowers. YJ Uppers do not work on TJ door surrounds.

Best to you! Let me know if I can help with any questions.
Unread 11-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #45
PCO6
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I've managed to pick up a few parts since I last posted as well as learn a few things about TJ/YJ half doors - thanks guys.

Again, I have a TJ that I tried to fit a set of Best Top YJ top and bottom half doors to. The bottoms worked fine with the door striker pin modification described above. The tops did not fit well at all. They are bigger than the door opening. I could attach them to the bottoms and close the door but the fit was BAD - they leaked like a sieve.

Last week I picked up a great set of YJ half door bottoms. I will make the pin & latch modifications described above and then paint them silver. A few days later I purchased a set of after market TJ half door uppers. I was looking for soft uppers but came across a set of hard uppers with sliding windows. The uppers are kind of unique so I figured ... what the heck. I'll continue to look for a soft set.

The hard TJ uppers pictured below were made by Black Hawk Manufacturing. The manufacturer's sticker is still on both doors and they appear to have been made in June of 2006. The 2 halves fit well but I will have to make a few modifications. As TFERV mentioned above the 3 pins and holes are in a different alignment between the TJ & YJ. The YJ's are in a straight line while the rear most hole on the TJ is off set. I will be able to drill a new hole in the Black Hawk uppers and plug the original hole fairly easily. Everything will then line up.

I haven't been able to find very much information on the Black Hawk uppers. They seem to be well made and are quite substantial. They are MUCH more sturdy than soft uppers. They're a bit goofy looking but they function well - the sliding windows work perfectly. Does any one have any experience with these doors? Here are some pictures ...

The YJ half doors I purchased. No dings, no rust and the mirrors are perfect. They came with the black mounting strips for the bottoms of factory uppers but I removed them as they are not needed for TJ uppers.

Note how the 3 upper door mounting holes line up.

The Black Hawk TJ uppers ...

... and the back side. Note how the rear pin hole is off set from the front 2.

Here's what the YJ doors look on my TJ ...

And along with the Black Hawk TJ uppers. ... adjustments and paint (silver & matt black) to follow ...

Last edited by PCO6; 11-09-2013 at 01:33 PM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.