Install Speed Control? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Install Speed Control?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-04-2006, 01:28 PM   #1
solbergg

Install Speed Control?

Hey all, I finally am a Jeep owner. I went to a dealership today with the intent of getting a Jeep green X with only air conditioning and speed control as its options. I ended up getting a midnight blue X because it had the red dot discount of $1000. After a little bit of haggling (with a very friendly salesman that just started working at the dealership) I was able to get $1500 below invoice total, along with 0% financing. Anyway, I am absolutely thrilled right now, but I did realize that the Jeep I bought doesnt have speed control. I've never had a car without cruise, so I'm not sure what to think about it. I will just try to suck it up and get used to it, but I also wanted to find out if there were aftermarket options for cruise control. Anyone familiar with this?

Oh, and here are the obligatory pics:

EDIT: the IMG commands do not appear to be working. This is the first time I have tried posting to this site. Any tips to make the pictures show up automatically?

solbergg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2006, 01:45 PM   #2
rayar3
If Jeeps could fly...

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nice rig. I bought mine up in Yulee. You can get the factory speed control put on, and your Jeep is most likely wired for it anyway for about $200. The only thing you won't get is the leather wrapped steering wheel. I was in the same boat when I was looking at an X, but with no cruise. The dealer said they'd put it on at "no cost."

here's the link: Cruise
Unread 11-04-2006, 01:51 PM   #3
bheiser
2006 KJ Liberty 

I've looked for the wiring harness for speed control in my '06 X, and I don't think it has it. They must just pre-wire the other higher end models. That's surprising (to me) since I'd think it'd be cheaper to do them all the same than to have lots of custom builds.
bheiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2006, 01:58 PM   #4
BlueTeeJay

Nice Jeep! Looks like mine but newer.
Inspires me to go out and clean mine....but it's cold out so......
I'm over it.
BlueTeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2006, 02:01 PM   #5
solbergg

Oh, that's cool, I wonder if I would be able to install it myself without too much of a hassle. Could be a fun project if I dont risk voiding my warranty in some way.

Thanks for the positive comments! I can't believe it took me this long to get a Jeep
Unread 11-04-2006, 02:06 PM   #6
bombero21
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Jacksonville Jeep owner here.... Nice ride. Don't forget to wave!
Crager wheels
bombero21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2006, 02:35 PM   #7
Wup This
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I installed stock cruise on my 04 LJ. It was pretty easy and mine WAS NOT wired from the factory. It takes about 2 hours and other than a little wiring on the factory pin connectors to the computers it's cake. I can't live without cruise. I got mine at cost which was about 180.00. Instructions are good up until the wiring for the column. They mix up a couple colors on the wires. Just stick to the diagram at that point and ingnore colors. Good luck, and welcome to the Jeep thing.
Wup This is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2006, 02:56 PM   #8
solbergg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wup This
I installed stock cruise on my 04 LJ. It was pretty easy and mine WAS NOT wired from the factory. It takes about 2 hours and other than a little wiring on the factory pin connectors to the computers it's cake. I can't live without cruise. I got mine at cost which was about 180.00. Instructions are good up until the wiring for the column. They mix up a couple colors on the wires. Just stick to the diagram at that point and ingnore colors. Good luck, and welcome to the Jeep thing.
It doesnt sound anymore difficult than installing a cd head unit, which I did a few times back when I was in high school. Looks like I will be modding my Jeep already, hehe.
Unread 11-04-2006, 03:16 PM   #9
Bigbob

Go to www.jeepsareus.com and look for the cruise control. It is a complet kit so it includes the wiring harness. If you see a large square un-used electrical plug on the drivers side fenderwell your's is pre-wired. If not, you will need to install the wiring harness which does not look too bad. Well worth the money IMHO. Bob
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2006, 03:32 PM   #10
solbergg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob
Go to www.jeepsareus.com and look for the cruise control. It is a complet kit so it includes the wiring harness. If you see a large square un-used electrical plug on the drivers side fenderwell your's is pre-wired. If not, you will need to install the wiring harness which does not look too bad. Well worth the money IMHO. Bob
Just went and looked, and the large, unused square (or rectangle, rather) is there. So I should be set!!
Unread 11-04-2006, 04:33 PM   #11
solbergg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65thTJ

Nice rig. I bought mine up in Yulee.
Funny, I bought mine at the exact same dealership. They still have a lot of nice X's there, including a red one with few options. I almost went for the red one because of the price, but then remembered that I dislike red.
Unread 11-04-2006, 06:12 PM   #12
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I installed factory cruise on my Jeep, and I wasn't pre-wired. Took about 3 hours in total, only because I was careless and 32 wires fell out of the connector for the computer. Took me an hour just to put them back in their cavities.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2006, 10:50 PM   #13
rayar3
If Jeeps could fly...

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I didn't know about the place in Yulee until I flew into the private airstrip behind it a few times to pick up/deliver customer's airplanes. They were the only place in Jax area with a 65th. I had them pull it out of the showroom with 14 miles on it and took it home that day. They gave me a better price than the other dealerships in the area.
Unread 11-04-2006, 11:09 PM   #14
acsguitar

Cruise control is ok but I've probably used it once in my life on every car i've bought

Nice ride looks like mine!
[FONT="Impact"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #55
[COLOR="Blue"]2005 Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition[/COLOR]
Jeep Noob and proud of it[/FONT]
[FONT="Fixedsys"]Need free computer help. I'm a nerd you can ask me.
acsguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2006, 09:30 AM   #15
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbergg
Just went and looked, and the large, unused square (or rectangle, rather) is there. So I should be set!!
Good news. It only took me about 1/2 hour to do the installation. It's a plug and play deal. Pretty simple. Don't forget to disco the battery first. Bob
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.