install coil spring spacers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > install coil spring spacers

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-07-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
billeche
2005 LJ Wrangler 

install coil spring spacers

How to and what are the tricks to installing a 2 inch coil spring spacer kit on the front and rear of a 2005 Wrangler unlimited?

billeche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
alecmcmahon

do one side at a time, front or back.

jack it up, jackstands,etc

remove tires

disconect sway bars

disconnect shocks

use a jack on either side of the knuckle to drop the oppisite down as much as you can.

use a big pry bar or 2 and muscle that SOB out.

you may have to remove the stock bump stop, just pull out the rubber peice, there is a bolt up in there, remove that, slip the spacer over it, re-assemble.

Some people will tell you to remove the track bar as well, personally i prefer not to remove it cause it's usually such a pain in the *** to muscle it back in if you dont have an adjustable.

Also, i would reccomend renting/purchasing a Spring Compressor from your autozone store ( rent for free ) or buy one from harbor freight for 20 or so bucks. Makes the spring a hell of alot easier to get into place.

good luck
alecmcmahon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
alecmcmahon

By the way, ( see your profile info ) a 2005 would be a TJ, not a JK model.

97-06 = TJ

welcome to the site.
Unread 05-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
puggles

Great, Thanks billeche I learned alot just now from these guys

I owe all you a beer
Unread 05-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
Strizzy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you do end up renting a spring compressor, make sure you ask for a STRUT spring compressor. Those go on the outside of the springs.
Otherwise you'll be stuck with some useless tool that compresses springs from the inside of the spring.
Strizzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
alecmcmahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strizzy View Post
If you do end up renting a spring compressor, make sure you ask for a STRUT spring compressor. Those go on the outside of the springs.
Otherwise you'll be stuck with some useless tool that compresses springs from the inside of the spring.
good point.

these are the ones i have and used.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3980

i'm on my 2nd set since of them on my first seized up around the threads, but it's cheap enough to were purchasing a 2nd set to make the job easier doesn't bother me.

and as always, these things can be dangerous, springs can patch alot of punch if they release while under compression and your hand is in the way when it happens.
Unread 05-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #7
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

jacking up one side of the axle with a floor jack positioned under the lower control arm will articulate the axle. with the shocks and sway bar disconnected the suspension will unseat the coil... there's no need to mess with a spring compressors or unhooking the track bar

.. the springs pictured are the same length unsprung as 4" lift springs, there is also 1.5" of spacer on top of them making them a bunch longer than stock springs, with the lower shock bolts out I can pull my springs without even removing the lower 2" bumpstop pads...

I do at least one spacer lift a week (2 already this week) and have never had the need for spring compressors. it cracks me up that some guys make a bb isntall sound so difficult...

by articulation I mean this... one side stuffed, the other fully drooped. if the frame is suported on stands with the axle hanging it's very easy to do with a floorjack... look close, the spring is slightly unseated.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2009, 11:12 PM   #8
WillysEdition04
2008 JK Wrangler 

This Write-Up is linked in the Boot Camp thread (see my sig below)

http://www.4x4xplor.com/REBB.html

ChevTac Firearms, LLC
"Like" us on Facebook: facebook.com/ChevTec
WillysEdition04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2009, 06:23 AM   #9
victoro
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you need help I documented the entire job (pic by pic) on my 06.
victoro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #10
bones23
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoro View Post
If you need help I documented the entire job (pic by pic) on my 06.
Please post, would like to see!
bones23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.