The Infamous Manifold - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > The Infamous Manifold

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-24-2007, 02:04 PM   #1
Wynne
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The Infamous Manifold

Well, my manifold finally gave up on me. It is cracked about 10 inches from where it meets the exhaust pipe. It is only about half cracked. I am going to order a new one, but it might take a little while due to the holidays and need my Jeep. I have heard of some type of exhaust tape that can be wrapped around. Does anyone have any experience with this? I have to go to school next week and its a decent drive there and might have to put it on after the drive. Let me know what anyone knows about the tape or any suggestions. Thanks alot guys.

P.S. I found a new one on Ebay which I used to replace the cracked one on my old TJ for around $88 shipped. Let me know if anyone has another website for one.

Unread 12-24-2007, 02:21 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Make sure that eBay header (it's a header, not a manifold) you found for $88 is not just an one that had a crack welded up. The type of header to stick with has a flexible accordian-joint added at each of the two points where the OE header tends to crack at.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
cj847
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I bought an $80 odd dollar exhaust off of ebay about a month ago. It has the accordian joints. Installed fine and has been working great (I even used the China gaskets).

In the interim, I would just drive it. Just don't sit in it with the jeep idling for 20 minutes. It should be OK.
Unread 12-24-2007, 04:48 PM   #4
Wynne
1998 TJ Wrangler 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-98...spagenameZWDVW

This is the one I found, it has the accordian parts, but they aren't where mine broke.
Unread 12-24-2007, 04:57 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

As long as it has the two accordian joints, and the one in that photo does, it should be fine.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2007, 07:08 PM   #6
creaky70
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I purchased the same manifold from EBay about a year ago. It appears to be good quality, fit perfectly and has not given any problems in a year of driving. The gaskets, however, were completely bogus. I pitched them and used a Felpro manifold gasket and a ?? donut gasket from NAPA.
creaky70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2007, 08:30 PM   #7
travislakerat
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just replaced one on a 99 TJ about 4 months ago and the funny thing is, the one I replaced was just like the one I bought on ebay. Regardless, it fixed it and I sold the jeep. Hopefully the new exhaust will last you for a good while.

2004 Ford F350 2" lift, 18's with 33" Nittos and Frontier Bumper Replacement. Solid Black
travislakerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2007, 06:25 AM   #8
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by creaky70
...The gaskets, however, were completely bogus. I pitched them and used a Felpro manifold gasket and a ?? donut gasket from NAPA.
Good point.

The gaskets that come with those cheap headers is questionable.

An OE gasket will run you about $15 from the dealer and its raised around the ports for a better seal.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.