I'm torn - 35's vs 33's - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I'm torn - 35's vs 33's

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #61
alex_c
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Don't drive in mudholes deeper than you have tires for.
This is the best solution. I don't like mud really, sometimes it's unavoidable, but that's what winching is for (if you don't make it). If you have nowhere to hook up to, well, that's what lots of beer and shovels are for.

I think I'll rock 33's. If I stumble across some money, maybe i'll get the stuff to go bigger. I was looking at a set of the 33x10.5 I want on a Toyota, and they are still huge compared to my 31's (more like 30's)

Was looking at the skinny interco stuff, but after some experiences a few friends have had with quality control, I think I'm going to leave that pair of dice unrolled. Definitely don't want bias ply in a wet, hilly region on a DD.

alex_c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #62
DAMRON
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just got my 35s and I must let you know that it sucks with the 3.73 gears. I mean, it really sucks and the braking performance is far worse than I expected as well. I love the actual tires but I now see that many things need to be upgraded sooner rather than later. I thought I would slowly build it up but that might not be a viable option given the poor performance I am seeing with my jeep now. Best news is that my death wobble seems to be gone but it has been replaced by several other major issues. Deep down inside I feel that 33s might have been a smarter choice for now. P.S. I am also now terrified of blowing up my weak dana 35.
DAMRON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #63
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam52604 View Post
Fact is The OP is fairly close to me and will see the same wheeling conditions. In our neck of the woods 35's will definetly be a difference over 33's.

Sorry but I call a degree of BS on this unless your running trails and trail systems I've not heard of.

I have lots of experience at:

Evan's Creek
Reiter
Walker Valley
Elbe
Naches
Manastash
Liberty
Rimrock

I've been wheel'n around Washington state for over 12 years and have traveled on most of our 4x4 Jeep trails and there are very few places that 35's make THAT much of a difference. Some, sure, but they're limited to small stretches of trail (maybe 10-20 ft at a time here or there) or a few key areas.

I don't doubt that there is the occasional mud hole that will swallow a rig whole or will high-center you. Ditto for various stumps, logs, or rock obstacles in our NW trails. Hell, I've seen them. I've also seen the by passes that go right past these things.

But for 98%+ of the trail milage in this state a locked rig on 33's would be WAY more than adequate and they make for a very well balance Jeep that does well on both the trail and the road with out too much investment.

To me it comes down to how far you want to build your rig. How much is that last bit of trail worth to be able to run without pulling a winch line?

Is it worth the extra $2k investment to not have to pull the winch cable to get you over a 10 ft patch of trail?

To me . . . certainly not.

I understand that up in BC there's some pretty nasty forest mountain trails up there, I believe the OP posted some videos. So it might be a bit different up north of the border. But for WA state, no way are 35's required, nor do they take a rig all that much further than 33's.

FWIW, I've done very very well on my 32's with LSD's at both ends. Yes I have to pull winch cable from time to time but it's rare.

To the OP . . .

It all comes down to a judgement call. Unless you're getting into terrain that truly needs 35's (or bigger) I don't see the point. The larger tire puts more stress on the drivetrain, more stress on suspension and steering components, requires more work to accommodate the tire size, and has a greater negative impact on general vehicle performance anytime you're not on the trail.

Judge for yourself the terrain you wheel in, how often you wheel it, and if the 33's would be holding you back much and if you'd really be kicking yourself for not getting the larger tires, and how annoyed you'd get to have to pull winch line a bit more often.
Unread 08-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #64
alex_c
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome post, that's what I was looking for.

I think that I'd rather just invest the money in winch, lockers, armor, etc than have to spend all that money upgrading brakes, suspension, steering etc. I wheel frequently, but I drive more. 35's are going to kill what remaining scraps of fuel "economy" I have left and they just cost so much for to build for. For that extra money, I can get a 4:1 t-case and crawl circles around the guys with open diffs on 35's
alex_c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
35 , 33 , tires , tj , wrangler , road manners

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.