I'm torn - 35's vs 33's - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I'm torn - 35's vs 33's

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #31
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inglisleslie View Post
not as much as the jump from 35 to 37...its WAAAY cheaper to go from 33s to 35s. And if your car is stick then downshifting can help with braking alot
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsquirt View Post
consider this, the difference is 1 inch from ground to center of hub. between 35's and 33's
It is more to go to 37" tires, but that is not what we are discussing in this thread. Its 33 or 35. To do 35's the RIGHT way you need to upgrade your brakes, steering, axle shafts, gearing. 35" tires make a difference every where I have wheeled. That is why I upgraded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Don't take this the wrong way because it's not meant in a disparaging manner in the least. If you'd care to drive a bit this winter and do one day of riding along with us in JV, you would never make that last comment again.

Depending on terrain, it is not debateable in the slightlest.

Agree 100%

Unread 08-06-2010, 09:32 AM   #32
monkeygruven
2004 TJ Wrangler 

subscribed

The real trail rated badges are located on your skid plates.
monkeygruven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #33
Muddybrit
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Alex View Post
I have 33s now and am not sure whether I want 35s. My 33s will do the toughest trails in norcal... plus they're more manageable than 35s in every other condition. Think about a Land Rover. See any Defender 90s on 35s? That's because you don't need 35s unless you're running the Hammers in socal or something, and other than that it just raises your cog up that much higher. Getting your diffs higher is not that big of a deal, and most rocks are not big enough to require 35s. Not on the Rubicon, not on Fordyce.

Of course, when I say you don't need 35s... I mean you don't NEED them... the only advantage I can think of is that you can do certain things a little faster.

On 33s my Jeep looks sane. On 35s you're getting to the point of resembling a moving cube... people spending thousands of dollars to put slightly larger tires on a vehicle that will never be a buggy anyway... not always an advantage, although that's not to say I find it unreasonable. It's just debatable.
Nicely put
Unread 08-06-2010, 10:34 AM   #34
Jetscuh
O rly?

I've never thought of my Jeep as a moving cube since I've put the 35's on.
Jetscuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #35
Jon_Alex
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Don't take this the wrong way because it's not meant in a disparaging manner in the least. If you'd care to drive a bit this winter and do one day of riding along with us in JV, you would never make that last comment again.

Depending on terrain, it is not debateable in the slightlest.
I knew I would get flamed over that post. I don't disagree with you. I'm aware that certain obstacles cannot be traversed without tires of a certain size. That it just doesn't work.

But I can run all the trails here in norcal with my 33" 33s. And how many people run in stuff like JV?

In a way, I'm playing devil's advocate here. I live and wheel solely around Sacramento and the Sierras... and if I don't need 35s then really, how many people out there need 35s? Maybe some, but not many. I mean, think about it. You guys in JV have 35s and you're running the toughest stuff in the world. The world! What size tires do the rest of us really need?

I'm just saying that perhaps modesty is not so bad sometimes... modesty in lift, tire size... as much modesty as will get you through to the other side, of course. Don't misunderstand me. I DO NOT plan to take my TJ to JV anytime soon. I like to drive it and not trailer it, and there is plenty to explore up my way.

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies." -Nietzsche
Jon_Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 10:58 AM   #36
alex_c
1997 TJ Wrangler 

IF I do go with 33's, I'll have enough money for a tummy tuck, winch, etc etc.

I found a D30 with 4.10 gears for $100. I'll be about $400 richer if I slap an aussie in that, as opposed to buying the built one with the ARB, 4.56 and chromos (I found out it's got 27 spline outers...so it's not as great as I initially thought)

Love the input. I'm really leaning towards 33's as of right now. I follow rubicons on 35's, LA's etc etc with my 31's on open diffs. Do I scrape? Hell yeah! But with some finesse and driver skill, I can get my little tires into some surprising places.

I live in the mountains. Lots of granite and boulders on our trails up here. Anyone who lives in BC knows what I'm talking about. Obviously bigger tires are going to be better off road, it's basic physics. Are 35's really worth it for a daily driver though?

Keep the opinions coming though! This is some great input so far.
alex_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 11:00 AM   #37
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I knew I would get flamed over that post. I don't disagree with you. I'm aware that certain obstacles cannot be traversed without tires of a certain size. That it just doesn't work.

But I can run all the trails here in norcal with my 33" 33s. And how many people run in stuff like JV?

In a way, I'm playing devil's advocate here. I live and wheel solely around Sacramento and the Sierras... and if I don't need 35s then really, how many people out there need 35s? Maybe some, but not many. I mean, think about it. You guys in JV have 35s and you're running the toughest stuff in the world. The world! What size tires do the rest of us really need?

I'm just saying that perhaps modesty is not so bad sometimes... modesty in lift, tire size... as much modesty as will get you through to the other side, of course. Don't misunderstand me. I DO NOT plan to take my TJ to JV anytime soon. I like to drive it and not trailer it, and there is plenty to explore up my way.
You've run Dusy and Fordyce on 33's? I've not been yet, but my club goes there (and Rubicon among others) and every recommendation from them is 35"+
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #38
alex_c
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I do trails that people say you need a locker and 33's on with my open/open jeep on 31's.

A lot of people who are $8,000 (or way more) into their rigs don't like to admit that 75% of where they go can be reached in a stocker with a good driver and the right line.
Unread 08-06-2010, 11:28 AM   #39
-ExDementia-
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I'm going to have to agree with jon_alex for the most part. 33's are fine for 95% of trails out there, people on this forum seem to go a little overkill on advise for builds. I understand perfectly for trails like the hammers, but most trails out there aren't anywere near as hard as those.

I like the build for 35's, go for 33's idea just until you wear out the 33's. I want to slowly beef mine up for 35's while I'm still on 33's until my tires wear out. Then come the 35" KM2's. And with 90% on BFG A/T's, I have a while before that happens.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" [B]- George Carlin[/B]

[B][SIZE="3"]Click [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/search.php"]HERE[/URL] for the elusive search button everyone talks about.[/SIZE][/B]
-ExDementia- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #40
Muddybrit
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post
You've run Dusy and Fordyce on 33's? I've not been yet, but my club goes there (and Rubicon among others) and every recommendation from them is 35"+
I did the Rubicon on 33's with 2" lift and a tummy tuck, loaded with family and camping gear with no problem. Scraped the armor a bit more then my colleagues running 35's but thats what it's there for, right?

For me my jeep is a compromise between DD and a weekend trail rig, 33's were right for that.
Unread 08-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #41
alex_c
1997 TJ Wrangler 

this is how we wheel in Canada, eh

YouTube - ‪Wheelin BC FUCT‬‎
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Homq...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN8rF...eature=related
Unread 08-06-2010, 04:03 PM   #42
loaderopp
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonen View Post
You also gotta figure in the approach angle on obstacles, not just ground clearance.

Consider a 6" obstacle.

The difference between a 33" and 35" tire is approx 1.5* approach angle, the difference between 31" and 33" is almost 2*

If you bump the obstacle to 10" you are talking 2* between 33 and 35 and 2.5* between 31" and 33"

There is more to larger tires than just ground clearance, my experience has show me that 1 or 2* of rollover advantage is quite significant.
that's why i am on 37's
2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 5.5 inch custom long arm, 1 inch daystar body lift, River Raider Snorkel, Custom bumper/winch mount, sliders, tire carrier. 37x13.50 R17 Nitto Mudgraplers, Bushwacker flat fender. Custom 1/2 cab. Hyline hood vents. Custom tonnue cover and tool box. HID-X off road lights, LED driving lights custom rear bumper/m6000 rear monted winch.
loaderopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 05:30 PM   #43
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I was not flaming you and even cautioned you as such along with sincere invitation to come and ride along. You really should.

Quote:
If you pay attention, you will see me reiterate time and time again that unless you're playing in JV, all you need is 31's some skill and some lockers with a modicum of armor to have as much fun as possible.

Quote:
Well, 35's are not running the toughest trails out there. They are just the price of admission for many of them. My 40's are not even big enough for the hard stuff.

Quote:
And yet again, if you pay attention, I've said it time and time again. Many of the folks I wheel with drive to and fro and some even pull their camp trailers out there to sleep in and then drive them home. Don't think for a second that only trailer queens are allowed.
Unread 08-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #44
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ExDementia- View Post

I like the build for 35's, go for 33's idea just until you wear out the 33's. I want to slowly beef mine up for 35's while I'm still on 33's until my tires wear out.
Thats positively ridiculous. Why don't you slowly beef up your bank account, take the same amount of time and then do it all at once?
Unread 08-06-2010, 06:38 PM   #45
alex_c
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Blaine, what do you think from your experience? Obviously the "get er done" factor is making me want to go 33's, but like I've said before, I don't want to be rebuilding the thing in a year because 33's aren't getting me where I wanna go. Is it really worth the extra expense? Sure, if money wasn't as much of an issue, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Like I said, if I go with 33's I can get this done in a month or two, time permitting. I can also, in the next few months, afford a tummy tuck, at least one locker, and other fun stuff like a winch and more currie arms (hopefully 6 more of them!)

If I go with 35's, I probably won't have the money to get it done for at least 4 more months. Tack the build time on to that, and my jeep is sitting on 31's and stock diffs until next year.

I know a lot of this is personal choice, but we all know how wheelin' can turn into a pissing contest where size and money spent is totally unnecessary for the actual use of the truck.

Tags
35 , 33 , tires , tj , wrangler , road manners

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.