I'm Crackin Down On Anti-theft!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I'm Crackin Down On Anti-theft!!!!

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 08-09-2008, 10:59 PM   #1
kolten493
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm Crackin Down On Anti-theft!!!!

Ok everyone, i was out to eat the othe day with family and we hear this anouncement over the PA in the restraunt "Will the owner of a white chevrolet 4x4 3500 please come to the front immediatley" so why does this matter? well that chevy is my dads and when we go up front they tell us someone broke into his truck. By now everyone is PO'd so we run outside and sure enough the passenger window was completley busted out, his touch screen radio that he'd just installed was gone, the DVD player headrests are gone, my moms $600 camera gone, my dads 2 mags full of hollow point .45 are gone, the radar detector, a $400 cell phone and the dash is in pieces. Soooo anyway, here is where this is "TJ" I wan't to protect my Jeep at all cost, i already have an alarm that has the LCD keychain pager that shows you where it was hit and or opened, a kill switch, a steering wheel lock, tuffy console and i always keep the glovebox, all doors, and the tailgate locked. But my jeep is a soft top and I am going to get an addition to my alarm that even if they slice the top and put there hand in, the motion sensor sunds the alarm....ok now it get's"TJ Technical" I want to wire up 2 BIG *** air horns in the back behind the seat and wire them to the alarm that way if the alarm is sounded via hit, door opened, top sliced, the air horns go off and make a hellacious noise that 1, will draw a ton of attention and 2, will make the thief pee their pants and run the other way
and I also have just heard of "the absolute best, proven to be unbeatable by professional thieves, anti-theft device" called the Ravelco system,

can someone give me any info on this system and if my idea about the airhorns sounds doable? and sorry for the really long post but i'm pretty much furious and absolutley had it with thieves and had to blow off some steam lol

thanks for readin everyone

edit: if anyone has better ideas for the jeep and or truck, plz post

Unread 08-09-2008, 11:18 PM   #2
happycamper
1986 XJ Cherokee 

That really sucks about the theft, but the air horns sound like a good idea , as long as you don't set them off bye accident while your in the jeep( killer on the ears, and under pants) maybe you could rig them with a 2 or 3 second delay, that way a would be thief would have just enough time to stick there head in before it goes off. Good luck
Gone but not forgot. 2000 Sahara 4.0, auto, 4"rock krawler x factor long arm, 33x12.50x15 M.T. Mtz, M.T. classic lock rims,30/44 limited slip, land runner safari rack, land runner front, and rear bumpers, warn 8000i winch, cobra cb, jks 1.25" bl, brown dog 1" mm lift.AA sye, J.E. Reel drive shaft, Aussie locker, Rock Crusher front cover
happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2008, 11:21 PM   #3
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would be worried about a lawsuit if you damage the crooks hearing. I know it sounds like BS, but this kinda stuff happens.
Unread 08-09-2008, 11:23 PM   #4
bigj1974
1999 TJ Wrangler 

best thing?

don't keep all that expensive gadgetry visible.
bigj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2008, 11:29 PM   #5
kolten493
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
best thing?

don't keep all that expensive gadgetry visible.
yea i know man, normally my dad is THE best person about that, but we were out havin a good time(actually a going way party for my cousin) and i guess he just wasn't thinkin to take everything off, but get this, they didn't take his GPS, garage door opener(GPS+garage door opener= really really bad news) a $200 pair of oakley glasses, a 2nd cell phone.

oh, and to top it off, this happened during the evening in a very very well lit parking lot about 40 ft. away from a busy mcdonalds drive through and people at the restraunt greeting ppl at the door...just makes me wish my dad woulda walked out in the middle of it, he is a concealed handgun carrier
Unread 08-09-2008, 11:32 PM   #6
kolten493
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PILL View Post
I would be worried about a lawsuit if you damage the crooks hearing. I know it sounds like BS, but this kinda stuff happens.
yea but I really think it could be beat in court, i read a post on here in the "what would you do if you caught someone breaking into your jeep" thread that had crippled a guy with a shovel or somethin and he won in court...but i guess alot of it is dependant on the judge
Unread 08-09-2008, 11:34 PM   #7
kolten493
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper View Post
That really sucks about the theft, but the air horns sound like a good idea , as long as you don't set them off bye accident while your in the jeep( killer on the ears, and under pants) maybe you could rig them with a 2 or 3 second delay, that way a would be thief would have just enough time to stick there head in before it goes off. Good luck
how could i go about doing that delay, some sort of relay?
Unread 08-10-2008, 12:18 AM   #8
DUKENEUTRON
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It really sucks that you have to do all this to keep your stuff safe, sorry to hear about the theft.
DUKENEUTRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2008, 12:22 AM   #9
kolten493
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKENEUTRON View Post
It really sucks that you have to do all this to keep your stuff safe, sorry to hear about the theft.
I agree 110% and thanks for the concern, hopefully i won't have to ever use all this anti-theft stuff on my jeep, but i never thought my dads truck would get broken into
Unread 08-10-2008, 12:33 AM   #10
kolten493
2000 TJ Wrangler 

also guys, i kno this may sound way overkill but i'm pretty computer savvy as far as servers and remote accessing camera systems and stuff like that goes and i was thinkin, i wonder if i could hook up 2 really tiny hidden cameras that pointed at each door and have them hooked up to a carputer with wifi and then i could have them stream to like a 2 terabyte HD that is bolted down inside a metal case and that case could have those lock things for screws/bolts over the bolts. all this would probly mount under th seat or in a 1/4" thick steel box that would again be bolted and locked too the floor. the cameras would record live and back up to the hard drive and then whenever the jeep is in an area with wifi (ie my house) i could view the cameras via my laptop from anywhere in the world using a remote access program....i know, i know, way way way wayyyy overkill, and would cost tons of $$ but like most of us, my jeep is more than just a toy or a vehicle to me and God forbid anyone ever try to break in but if they did, i could have it on the hard drive ready to email the stream to my local PD so they could catch those sorry SOB's.

edit: AND i could even add an external mic to the carputer to pick up their voice along with their face, it's basically like sitting in the backseat watching them lol

Last edited by kolten493; 08-10-2008 at 01:00 AM..
kolten493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2008, 12:36 AM   #11
Lumpymayo
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You could always go with a ferry horn on your Jeep. The deafening roar should ward off thieves.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiWNw...eature=related

Take a look at www.hornblasters.com
Lumpymayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2008, 12:38 AM   #12
kolten493
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpymayo View Post
You could always go with a ferry horn on your Jeep. The deafening roar should ward off thieves.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiWNw...eature=related

Take a look at www.hornblasters.com
hahaha i would really like to be able to keep my back seat in but otherwise that would be awesome!!
Unread 08-10-2008, 12:51 AM   #13
kolten493
2000 TJ Wrangler 

one more thing to add to my idea about the carputer video surveilance in post #10, i could even add a GPS reciever if they somehow did manage to take the jeep, it could be located quickly
Unread 08-10-2008, 01:17 AM   #14
roundlitefan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Why skip the best deterrent ever made for thieves?

bigj1974 already said it. Don't keep all that crap in sight.

No thief is going to risk getting busted if he can't see something to steal. You already have the Jeep covered pretty well against being stolen it sounds like, so just add a Tuffy trunk and don't leave anything in it that you don't need to.

Anyone that carries as much electronics in their vehicle as it sounds like your dad does, is GOING to get robbed, I don't care where you live.

I ran my last TJ with nothing but a Bikini top year round for almost 4 years, the only thing I EVER had stolen out of it.....a bunch of pennies that had accrued in the cup holder. And don't tell me it was where I lived, I lived in Philly!
roundlitefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2008, 05:12 AM   #15
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Not keeping things in sight is a great idea except for one problem.....IT DOESN'T WORK! I had a bare bones 90 Nissan Pickup. No tinted windows, no stickers, factory steel wheels and regular 75 series tires. Stereo was invisible. It literally looked like part of the dash. An amplifier (worth oh probably about $25 by that time) was behind the seat. And they tried to take the stereo anyways. Not sure how they knew it was there. I know I sure couldn't tell. They did about $1000 damage trying to take something that was worth about $50 by that time.
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.