Ignition Switch Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ignition Switch Replacement

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-03-2007, 12:12 PM   #1
taylodp

Ignition Switch Replacement

I have a 2000 4 cylinder. I have to replace the ignition switch. Can someone let me know the steps involved?

taylodp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2007, 03:35 PM   #2
Wynne
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Bump to the TOP
Unread 12-04-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
badoosh27
2001 TJ Wrangler 

i did a write up a while back to fix a problem i had, so this might help you out.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ignition-cylinder-prob-fix-write-up-472944/

you may need to do some other steps, but this should get you started

[url]http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2634280[/url]
badoosh27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2007, 04:58 PM   #4
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It would be helpful to get a FSM (Factory Service Manual). Even a PDF version for reference. . . . which is what I'm reading the following off of, this is for a 2001 TJ:

Ignition Switch Removal
The ignition key must be in the key cylinder for cylinder removal. The key cylinder must be removed first before removing ignition switch.
  1. Remove key cylinder. (refer to 19 - STEERING / COLUMN / LOCK CYLINDER HOUSING - REMOVAL).
  2. Remove lower steering column cover screws and remove cover.
  3. Remove the multi-function switch.
  4. Disconnect the electrical connector at the rear of the ignition switch.
    Remove the ignition switch mounting screw (Fig 7). use tamper proof torx bit to remove the screw.
    Pull the ignition switch straight out to remove from the locking tabs (Fig 8).

Ignition Switch Installation
The ignition key must be in the key cylinder for the cylinder installation. The key cylinder must be aligned with the ignition switch for installation.
  1. Before installing ignition switch, rotate the slot in the switch to the ON position (Fig 9).
  2. Connect the electrical connector to rear of ignition switch. Make sure that locking tab is fully seated into wiring connector.
  3. Position the switch tothe column and install tamper proof screw. Tighten screw to 26 in lb.).
  4. Test the operation of the lock sylinder for smooth rotating.
  5. Install the multi-function switch.
  6. Install steering column lower cover.

There are several diagrams that go with the instructions. Again, helpful to get the FSM.
Unread 04-29-2010, 07:07 AM   #5
koubiak

Hi,

I just bought a wrangler SE 1997 and I have what seems to be a ignition switch problem.

Description:
When I put the key in on (or accessory), the wiper / (some of the emergency lights) /direction lights / radio do not go online. If I move the key in the cylinder a bit sometimes all the systems goes online. But it usually does not stay for long.

Similar problem that I found on this site:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tu...switch-613435/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/t...t-work-284617/

Problem:
I look at the diagram in my FSM and everything is connected to the ignition switch.

Does that seem like a realistic diagnosis of the problem? A the correct fix to change the ignition switch.

If where would be the best place to order on to get it on Saturday? I need to get my inspection done next week and no direction light won't do.

Additional question: Do I need any special tool or screwdrivers are all I need? I just move in the US so I don't have a proper toolbox yet. But I have a wrangler so it ain't too bad

Thanks for the help.
koubiak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
koubiak

I wanted to order the switch online but I can only find one compatible for an automatic transmission...

So I will stop by my local NAPA for this Store Locator | NAPA Online

For the ones who changed this switch once. How long does it take to be finished with the repair?

My question on the necessary tool is still standing. I see that I need a pin to remove the key cylinder. Can a small pin do the trick?

Cheers!
koubiak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #7
autopc25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone do this?
autopc25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.