Ignition switch problem. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ignition switch problem.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 07-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ignition switch problem.

Last friday, I pull over to snap a photo, and when I try to start the jeep, the ignition switch won't trip. Ok, no problem, I think , must be a bad switch, and I get to work disassembling the column. I remove the whole column key assembly...lock cylinder, and various springs and pieces. I find the issue to be a broken metal piece that goes from the lock cylinder and into the ignition switch is cracked on the end. So, for the time being, I super glue it back together and get the Heep back on the road. It's been holding together all week.

Fast forward to five minutes ago. I call the jeep parts dept. and they tell me the ignition lock system is not serviceable and I will need a new column. Now seeing as I "serviced" it on the side of the highway, I call BS.

So now the question. Does anyone have a wrecked TJ that would be willing to tear in to the column to salvage this piece for me? There are no TJ's in the wrecking yards around me. I will post a photo when I break in there again so that I can be more specific about what I need.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
- Samuel Adams
0IIIIIII0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

It's the ignition pin.

$75 from ebay.com or D A V E Y S J E E P S . C O M - Parts Specials look for the text STEERING COLUMN PROBLEMS?

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

$75.00! goodness gracious. Looks like JB Weld for me.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
- Samuel Adams
0IIIIIII0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
JeepSahara2001
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like it has been a year. Did the JB hold. I have the same problem.

[______]
(O||||O)
=======
JeepSahara2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
leelum9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I got my set from rock auto...I think it was 35 dollars shipped
leelum9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
leelum9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...2546988....not sure if yours is the same as a 97
leelum9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
wrangler1997tj

I am having the same problem. Checked the starter and it is good. When yours was acting up, was it blowing the 30 amp big @$$ fuse in the engine compartment?
wrangler1997tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
ignition pin , ignition , problem , issue , broke , broken , replace , lock cylinder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.