Ignition Switch Pin Actuator repair. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ignition Switch Pin Actuator repair.

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #31
tommytj

Yeah, after going through this and learning how common this issue appears to be, I think I'm gonna grab one out of a junkyard for a few bucks as a backup. Now that I know what to do, it's about a 10 minute job to switch it out, so it'll be good to be prepared...I don't think it would be worth it to manufacture as there are so many of them available for cheap....

tommytj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #32
nickkick
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Tommytj,

How much did the replacement cost you? Saw it online for about $80 and it's just a small piece of cast.
Would a junkyard piece be unreliable? How much was it from the yard?

Thanks
nickkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 04:15 AM   #33
Richisinyoface
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

My junkyard piece was 3 dollars and it has been in for a few years now

NRA Life member

Sienna Jeep club member #65
Richisinyoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 06:06 AM   #34
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

In this thread there's a list of cars you can rob the actuator from. I grabbed a couple from Neons when I replaced mine.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...59/index2.html
Spaceball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 06:40 AM   #35
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkick View Post
Tommytj,

How much did the replacement cost you? Saw it online for about $80 and it's just a small piece of cast.
Would a junkyard piece be unreliable? How much was it from the yard?

Thanks
I bought one at NAPA for $46

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 07:56 AM   #36
tommytj

Yeah, I bought mine replacement from NAPA for $46....
tommytj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #37
Ratm
2004 WJ 

I'm having a problem with my gauges. They work when my key is in the start position but once I let the key return to on they go dead. If I take my key a twist it slightly to the start position they come back on and work fine. Just wondering if its the pin or the actual key cylinder
Unread 01-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #38
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

If the Jeep starts the ignition switch actuator pin should be fine as it's turning the switch all the way. I'd suspect the switch. I'd remove the switch and turn it with a screwdriver to see if it behaves the same. You'd be able to see the pin with the switch removed so could take a look at that at the same time.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #39
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

It could be the pin but more likely the switch itself. It is similar to what the guy in post #6 had but a different set of contacts. One set of contacts in the switch works the cluster & is supposed to power the cluster through fuse 10 in the block behind the glove box when in start & run. It apparently is not maintaining contact in the run position. The switch is not part of the key cylinder. Look at the video in post #1. Replacing the switch is the same procedure as the actuator pin. When you have it apart you can check the pin to see if it is cracked but if it looks good I would say the switch needs replacing. (Not a bad time to do the pin as a preventive measure.)

Edit: Jonny you are too quick! & a very good way to test it.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #40
Ratm
2004 WJ 

Is there a difference in the switch for auto and manual? I see it on quadratec but it says for auto
Unread 01-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #41
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The switch should be the same for auto or manual. You could have a look in the parts lists linked in my sig to double check.

Sent from my ST27i using JeepForum

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #42
Ratm
2004 WJ 

That link isn't working for me
Unread 01-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #43
cheftrail
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i pulled mine out of a neon wreck, dude at the junk yard said i could have it for a cigarette!
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:08 AM   #44
maroonTJ01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
When I searched I found tons of people with the same problem. I wanted to post the video Dorman made for the fix. The nut gobblers at the dealer will say you need to replace the whole steering column. Lucky for us Dorman did a little research and helped us out.

I started the Jeep up heading to work, and thought the key turned funny. After the other crew left at shift change I went to move the Jeep since my station doesn't have enough parking spots when both crews are there. I turned the key and nothing happend. The rotation was off as well.

To pull it apart you will need

Phillips screw driver.
T-10 Security bit (center hole).
T-20 bit.
Driver for above bits.

When I pulled it apart I found one of the stupidest designs ever.

Broken part and Box (number) for replacment from NAPA.

In a jam you could start your rig with a flat head screw driver once the above part is out.

Promo video from Dorman with step by step instructions.

http://youtu.be/W5m31g0-3wI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5m31g0-3wI

I hope that helps the next poor sucker that gets stuck someplace.
This helped me tremendously!! I was having an issue where my TJ would intermittently start (new battery, no corrosion on cables, etc) & it really had me stumped. I started thinking it had something to do with the ignition and after searching for a bit I came across this threat. My actuator pin looked just like yours, with the metal broken off at the "tip". I went to NAPA with the part number you posted and $46 later, I had the part & got it fixed!

Also just wanted to add that I tried using a flathead screwdriver to start the jeep by inserting it into the black ignition switch just fot sh!ts & giggles (while I had everything apart I figured why not?), and IT WORKED!! I thought that was pretty cool.

Again, THANK YOU to the OP ...my fiance will now be much happier with the Jeep now, lol
maroonTJ01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #45
rEDFiSH
2004 TJ Wrangler 

OK, so I'm hoping someone with experience might be able to help me out with a puzzle

I went to start my '04 TJ yesterday, but the key would not turn far enough forward to start the Jeep. The key easily turns to accessory and run positions, but not to start. So I assumed either the actuator pin or ignition switch were failed. The actuator pin did not appear broken, so I tried turning it with the lock cylinder while everything was disconnected from the steering column; it turned and the Jeep started normally. I reassembled everything, and tried again. No go. The key will not turn far enough forward. So, I took the lock cylinder back out and inspected the inside, and everything looks fine (nothing broken or worn).

I thought about buying a new ignition switch and actuator pin assembly just to rule that out, but I would not think either is the problem since it functions when removed from the steering column. The lock cylinder does not appear broken, but I don't really know what a bad one would look like

Does anyone out there have any thoughts or suggestions on how to proceed?
rEDFiSH is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.