Ignition switch or other? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ignition switch or other?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-15-2006, 12:10 PM   #1
Doug_M

[SOLVED] Ignition switch or other?

Hi,

My '99 TJ won't start anymore. If I turn the key the solonoid doesn't click and there is no power to the dash. I can, however, arc the starter with a long metal screw driver (dangerous I know) and I'm off and running.

This happened to me at lunch on a work day so I thought I'd take it to the closest dealer (foolish me). They told me it wasn't the solonoid or the ignition switch, but another switch in the stearing column. Further, they said it couldn't be replaced but rather I'd have to order a whole new column for $800!

This sounded fishy to me so I parked it at home and there it's stayed for a couple months (a crime I know). Now I've got the time to tinker with it. I think it is the ignition swtich, which I'm sure I can replace myself. Before I started tearing things apart though, I wanted to here some opinions.

Regards,
Doug

Last edited by Doug_M; 07-08-2006 at 09:44 AM..
Doug_M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2006, 12:18 PM   #2
jeepaholictj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure of the changes between '99 and '00 models but my '00 has a two piece ignition switch assembly. One part is the keyed tumbler section (mechanical) and the other is from the mechanical into a little black module for the electrical. I took my steering column apart and there are four or five tamperproof torx screws holding on, the electrical one that is. I priced a replacement from Advanced Auto for around 50 bucks and you can replace all that yourself.
BTW, have you taken the steering column apart yet? If so, you should see the two piece switch assembly I'm talking about...as for the STEALERSHIP, I would want them to have the mechanic SHOW me $800 worth of repairs....sounds like this guy is a SCAM-JIT-SU master....Hope that helps,
Dob
jeepaholictj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2006, 12:32 PM   #3
urbanassault

Check the fuses.
urbanassault is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2006, 02:13 PM   #4
Doug_M

I haven't taken the steering column apart yet, planning on doing so this weekend. I think the 99 is the same as the 2000 though. I did check the fuse, no problem there.

Thanks,
Doug
Unread 06-18-2006, 10:50 AM   #5
Doug_M

[SOLVED] Ignition switch or other?

When I took the ignition switch off, a piece of the rod that inserts into the switch fell off. That broken piece was preventing the ignition switch from turning when the key is turned. I got a replacement from a garage for free. So much for the dealership's $800 parts bill!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.