Ignition Switch Actuator Pin PROBLEMS - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ignition Switch Actuator Pin PROBLEMS

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
Eusabian
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ignition Switch Actuator Pin PROBLEMS

Hey guys,

I am borrowing my brother's '01 Wrangler while he is off in the military. I started having the symptoms of the actuator pin failure and read up on these great forums and ordered the part from Autozone. I watched the Dorman video 3 times and the installation went smoothly until I tried to start the jeep after reassembly. The key will no longer turn in the ignition!

I had the key in the run position the entire time, and I turned it several times before I put the actuator pin assembly back on the end. Now I can't get the key to turn at all! Nor can I get the assembly back off the end!

Is there any way i can get this thing back apart? I have to get this thing running! I can NOT afford a dealership. $40 for the part was stretching it.

Please help. You guys are good, I am sure someone has had this issue before. Thanks much in advance.

Eusabian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
inthefeildjr

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had this issues when I did mine a week ago. When i did mine, The key would also not go in all the way so I tapped the key into the ignition very lightly with a hammer. After I did that it was a little stiff and after a couple days it is back to the way it should be.
If I where you I would double check that the key is sliding all the way in.
Good luck
inthefeildjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

It could be the opposite of what happened to this poster. The center plastic rod that runs through the center of the assembly hangs up. If it is “in” too far the key in warning stays on, I assume as stated by inthefeildjr that it can be “out” too far & keep the key out a little too far.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ig.../#post13989558
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 12:47 AM   #4
inthefeildjr

1998 TJ Wrangler 

My mistake, I should have been more specific in my case it felt more like the ignition lock cylinder was stuck or frozen not the rod its self.
inthefeildjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
Eusabian
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys!! that was it! i needed to smack the key all the way in! OMG you are my heroes. I was seriously stressing out.

I knew I could count on you guys here in the forums. Again, thank you so much!
Eusabian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #6
RobAndSheila
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Eusabian, where did you find your new parts? Did you get the whole actuator assembly? I have the very same problem with the broken pin, and I have had no luck finding a replacement! Do you still have the URL and part numbers?

Thanks!

Rob
4" Zone Offroad lift / 33 x 10.5 DC Mud Country tires on black Pro Comp wheels
RobAndSheila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
Richisinyoface
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAndSheila View Post
Hey Eusabian, where did you find your new parts? Did you get the whole actuator assembly? I have the very same problem with the broken pin, and I have had no luck finding a replacement! Do you still have the URL and part numbers?

Thanks!

Rob
Napa or junkyard, I chose junkyard, 3 dollars and now keep a spare in my glovebox

NRA Life member

Sienna Jeep club member #65
Richisinyoface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Try these & here is a link showing what you get.

Dorman-924-704 NAPA 620-1414

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ig.../#post13985726
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #9
RobAndSheila
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome! Thanks dude!

Rob
4" Zone Offroad lift / 33 x 10.5 DC Mud Country tires on black Pro Comp wheels
RobAndSheila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2014, 05:56 PM   #10
pain4all
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ok since I have replaced the ignition switch, lock cylinder ,pin actuator and I can put key in and get beeping noise then nothing! no lights wont even think of starting?what am I missing here?have 12.33 volts at battery is it in the multi function switch???? am at a loss!loyal 97 tj owner since I bought it in the same year with 6 miles on it !
pain4all is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
ignition , ignition switch , starter , steering column

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.