Ignition switch acting funny - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ignition switch acting funny

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 07-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
cairopd1069
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ignition switch acting funny

I bought the 2000 Wrangler Sport a couple of weeks ago. The PO said if the A/C would not blow, just wiggle the key. Sure enough, we were going down the road and the A/C quit blowing, I wiggled the key and it started blowing again. I also noticed the factory radio would not keep correct time and would always go back to AM when the Jeep was turned off. Today, I wiggled the switch and the radio appeared to turn off and then came back on in the AM mode. Any suggestions? If the ignition switch needs to be replaced, how hard is it and what are the steps to replacing it?

Any help is appreciated.

I know some of you hard core Jeep owners wonder why I need A/C, but we drive the Jeep to Church and I don't want to show up at Church sweating, the preacher might think I've been up to something!!

Unread 07-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Having to wiggle the key probably means the ignition switch is bad. Deos anything else drop out at the same time?

The radio not being able to keep memory likely means it doesn't have a constant supply from the IOD fuse. Do courtesy lights work they run off the same fuse.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
cairopd1069
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yes the courtesy lights work. The radio is the only thing I know I am having problems with. It is possible that the radio is bad. Any advice on replacing the ignition switch? I'm sort of "mechanically inclined", but not a full blown mechanic. If the steering wheel needs to be pulled, I'll probably pay someone to do it.
Unread 07-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Here you go. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ig...epair-1378503/
Unread 07-05-2013, 01:38 AM   #5
T-Jay
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've had the same problem...intermittently since I bought my TJ. But my switch only malfunctions at start up. When it does, my airbag light comes on, my A/C doesn't work and my reverse lights don't work. My stereo works fine though. All it takes is a gentle turn of the key forward while the motor is running. Once I do that I hear a light relay clicking sound. After that, everything works properly. I'll replace the switch sooner or later. Probably after the damn thing finally dies entirely...in the middle of the woods at dusk
T-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 02:28 AM   #6
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Since the courtesy lights work the constant supply should be there. It's possible it either isn't connected to the radio or the switched and constant power are connected the wrong way round at the radio. Radio needs pulling to check that though.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 05:02 AM   #7
cairopd1069
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I was wrong about the courtesy lights, the only way the dome light will come on is if you turn the h/l switch to make it. It does not come on when you open the door.
Unread 07-05-2013, 05:43 AM   #8
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Look at fuse #4 behind the glove box, it deletes the dome lights when the doors are off and it's probably been pulled. As far as your other problem, I would replace the ignition switch.
Unread 07-05-2013, 06:06 AM   #9
cairopd1069
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I did not know there was a fuse panel behind the glove box. I will look this afternoon. Thanks
Unread 07-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
cairopd1069
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I am kind of confused after reading the posts and the posts that some referred to. My Jeep starts and runs fine. No trouble at all starting. So I'm confused as to what part I might need to replace. The ignition switch or the pin?
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
sc00bz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairopd1069
I am kind of confused after reading the posts and the posts that some referred to. My Jeep starts and runs fine. No trouble at all starting. So I'm confused as to what part I might need to replace. The ignition switch or the pin?
It would not be the actuator pin. If it breaks, you just can't start the jeep without some creativity. I'm not sure beyond that. However, if you take the route of replacing the ignition switch, I'd go ahead and replace the pin too. The pin breaks at the most inconvenient time (usually... Mine broke in my driveway after running errands. Ha). That way you have a spare and probably won't have to worry about it for a long time.
Unread 07-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #12
cairopd1069
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Okay, I'll try the ignition switch. The PO had pulled the fuse for the courtesy lights, so I still have the radio problem, but I would probably be better off to replace it with an aftermarket model. I am going to pull it and make sure the ground is grounded securely.
Unread 07-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #13
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

IGNITION-OFF DRAW FUSE

All vehicles are equipped with an Ignition-Off

Draw (IOD) fuse that is removed when the vehicle is

shipped from the factory. This fuse feeds various

accessories that require battery current when the

ignition switch is in the Off position, including the

clock and radio station preset memory functions. The

fuse is removed to prevent battery discharge during

vehicle storage.

When removing or installing the IOD fuse, it is

important that the ignition switch be in the Off position.

Failure to place the ignition switch in the Off

position can cause the radio display to become scrambled

when the IOD fuse is removed and replaced.

Removing and replacing the IOD fuse again, with the

ignition switch in the Off position, will correct the

scrambled display condition.

The IOD fuse should be checked if the radio is

inoperative. The IOD fuse is located in the Power

Distribution Center (PDC). Refer to the PDC label for

IOD fuse identification and location

IGNITION-OFF DRAW FUSE

The Ignition-Off Draw (IOD) fuse is removed from

Power Distribution Center (PDC) fuse cavity 25 (Fig.

6) when the vehicle is shipped from the assembly

plant. Dealer personnel must install the IOD fuse

when the vehicle is being prepared for delivery in

order to restore full electrical system operation.

REMOVAL

(1) Turn the ignition switch to the Off position.

(2) Unlatch and open the cover from the PDC.

(3) Remove the IOD fuse from fuse cavity 25 of the

PDC.

(4) Store the removed IOD fuse by inserting the

terminal blades of the fuse into the empty fuse cavity

27 of the PDC.

(5) Close and latch the cover onto the PDC.

INSTALLATION

(1) Turn the ignition switch to the Off position.

(2) Unlatch and open the cover from the PDC.

(3) Remove the stored IOD fuse from fuse cavity

27 of the PDC.

(4) Align the terminal blades of the IOD fuse with

the terminal receptacles in fuse cavity 25 of the PDC.

(5) Use a thumb to press the IOD fuse firmly down

into PDC fuse cavity 25.

(6) Close and latch the cover onto the PDC.

Check this fuse to make sure it's getting good contact.
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #14
cairopd1069
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Cuder, that is some great info!!! I will look at that fuse tomorrow. I appreciate it very much.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.